Shot Show 2024 Mega Thread

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Cool rifle, but man things are getting spendy

If you thought that one was spendy......this is the one with the carbon fiber barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samson7x

WKR
If you thought that one was spendy......this is the one with the carbon fiber barrel.

That much cash and still over 6lbs.…shame.

Yikes... Lol. Looks cool but not that cool lol

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
Fever Buck

You can literally build a custom rifle for that much. Crazy.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider

That much cash and still over 6lbs.…shame.

Yikes... Lol. Looks cool but not that cool lol

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

You can literally build a custom rifle for that much. Crazy.

That’s your McMillan tax, Bob’s got to pay for Defiance some how.

The truth is that Browning uses the same barreled action for multiple rifles so you can get the same performance cheaper by going with their in house stock design.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt-2/xbolt-2-speed-carbon-fiber-sr.html

For the McMillan stocked one they take whatever the cheapest rifle with that barreled action and add the full cost to replace the stock with a McMillan to the price. It’s a win win for them, somebody who really wants the McMillan will pay full price while everyone else buys their much cheaper version.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I was hoping for a new lightweight FFP scope. Not sure that this sells to those outside of the tactical market.
My thoughts exactly. Seems like they could have sold wayy more scopes in a lighter weight nx4/5 line, and made wayy more money selling scopes to the masses and hunting market. But what do I know…Uncle Sam does have some deep pockets🤨

My thoughts exactly. Seems like they could have sold wayy more scopes in a lighter weight nx4/5 line, and made wayy more money selling scopes to the masses and hunting market. But what do I know…Uncle Sam does have some deep pockets🤨
I think at least part of it for them as a brand is creating a bombproof design at those reduced weights. They could reduced the wall thickness and do other weight compromises but if that resulted in those scopes developing a reputation for being unreliable, it's not worth it to them because their biggest brand selling point is reliability. Lighter weight scopes CAN be made reliable, like the Trijicon Tenmile for instance. But it's just a lot harder.

Unless I've missed it, I don't see anything from Tikka, Nightforce, or Swaro that was on my SHOT wish list.

Any chance Leupold quietly changed their erector design for the new Mark 4 (ala Maven RS1.2)? On paper that scope looks great.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Not sure if it is a fight - but the Slam's product page photos are pretty funny - barrel is WAY out of the center of that stock, ha. Hopefully that's just an optical illusion, got some Ruger American barrel channel vibes. Overall it is an interesting blend of hunting/sporter rifle forward and chassis rear. Certainly more compelling than what Christensen put out this year......
1706108898720.png

lak2004

WKR
Not sure if it is a fight - but the Slam's product page photos are pretty funny - barrel is WAY out of the center of that stock, ha. Hopefully that's just an optical illusion, got some Ruger American barrel channel vibes. Overall it is an interesting blend of hunting/sporter rifle forward and chassis rear. Certainly more compelling than what Christensen put out this year......
View attachment 662163
That looks like photo angle issues.....I hope. Especially at that price point.

I highly doubt the average consumer is going to look at a 4 or 5x erector scope for close to the same price as an 8x erector scope and have a clue why the 4 or 5x scope is good choice. Short and high ratio scopes sell for the same reason they have to put effing fluting on every bolt and every barrel needs to be spiral fluted or carbon. That's what the market wants to waste their money on.

lak2004

WKR
I doubt they'd put stuff out like that to a consumer, but WHY when in control of their own marketing would they put that out for the world to see? Tough look.
Agree, fortunately I've never heard bad things about them. Maybe an email to say, "Hey, wtf is going on in this photo," and they'll slap the pee pee of the marketing team, haha.

That’s your McMillan tax, Bob’s got to pay for Defiance some how.

The truth is that Browning uses the same barreled action for multiple rifles so you can get the same performance cheaper by going with their in house stock design.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt-2/xbolt-2-speed-carbon-fiber-sr.html

For the McMillan stocked one they take whatever the cheapest rifle with that barreled action and add the full cost to replace the stock with a McMillan to the price. It’s a win win for them, somebody who really wants the McMillan will pay full price while everyone else buys their much cheaper version.

Browning's site isn't working to see what the whole lineup but a basic xbolt in their pro carbon stock with a steel barrel, SR, would be most desirable IMO. If that new composite stock is anywhere near as soft as the old stalker/speed stock it's a joke to be included on an upper $2k rifle.