2024 AK Moose Prep

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've been recommending Alaska Trophy Express for a few years now. Very easy process, meat is stored and transported safely to almost anywhere in the lower 48. No complaints from any clients so far that I'm aware of. Just make sure the brains are removed from the skull prior to dropping them off!

I've also used them to send several moose euro's south after they're cleaned and will continue to do so. Good communication, smooth process.

*For what it's worth, I'm in no way affiliated or compensated for the plug.*

roymunson

WKR
We've been recommending Alaska Trophy Express for a few years now. Very easy process, meat is stored and transported safely to almost anywhere in the lower 48. No complaints from any clients so far that I'm aware of. Just make sure the brains are removed from the skull prior to dropping them off!

I've also used them to send several moose euro's south after they're cleaned and will continue to do so. Good communication, smooth process.

*For what it's worth, I'm in no way affiliated or compensated for the plug.*
I can vouch for Alaska Trophy Express. Used them last year. Good communication. Got my meat and antlers to me when they said they would.

Fortboy22

FNG
I'm working through plans for my first AK moose adventure in 2025, and I thoroughly appreciate all the 'thought experiments' this thread and others like it on this site have given me, as I work through logistics.

VernAK

WKR
What game bags are you guys using?
NAPA auto parts hollow weave car polishing cloth......one roll does 2/3 rds of a big bull double strength.....cut off 6' and pull it over itself.....skin it off and throw it away when done.......been using it for 40 years.

AKDoc

WKR
^^^That's truly interesting Vern...good idea!

...but it's T.A.G. bags all the way for me. They are so compact, light weight, and extremely strong...been using them for years...totally satisfied.

28"x 60" for the quarters and then whatever combination of other size bags you choose for pieces/parts, liver and heart.

Catchfish

WKR
I can imagine. That would be a pain. We will probably have it processed in anchorage somewhere and then have it shipped home that way when we get back the work is done and into the freezer. I wouldn’t think it would be much more than 200-300 to have it all done at a butcher.
We butcher, process and package our own meant so I could be mis informed but I believe it would be more than 300. Pretty sure I’ve seen packaging costs be a dollar a pound someplace. I know there are other places in town but one I know charges a dollar a pound for clean meat, then they have a charge if it has to be cleaned, and if it has to be deboned.

roymunson

WKR
We butcher, process and package our own meant so I could be mis informed but I believe it would be more than 300. Pretty sure I’ve seen packaging costs be a dollar a pound someplace. I know there are other places in town but one I know charges a dollar a pound for clean meat, then they have a charge if it has to be cleaned, and if it has to be deboned.
Depends what you do. if you just have them debone it, it may not be that expensive. However, my buddy lives in a big city and doesn't have a good wild game butcher in the lower 48. He got sausages made, and a bunch of processed stuff, I think he was up around $2000.

I brought everything home on the bone and my local shop did steaks, roasts, hamburger and some sausage for $800

OP
Robinhood21
Usually 9 bags. My last moose took 11 meat bags as it was the biggest body Moose that I’ve been a part of so far.

kbarnes

FNG
Last time I applied for a known shipper number with AK Airlines was 2019 and I was quoted $275 for the verification. Probably well over $400 now. It was cheaper to ship three coolers next day UPS than to just get verified. Curious has anyone done the verification lately?

Almost every outfitter has a known shipper account and most are happy to share with their clients. Worth checking with your outfitter or pilot, if applicable.
I just got my Alaska known shipper number, I put it in my company name and there was no charge, and the gal said that it doesn't have to be renewed like an individual number.