Shed closure Utah Feb 7th to April 30th

Last edited:

huck

Lil-Rokslider
No reason you cant hunt sheds from the middle of may on,if thats your thing. Everybody talks about how mule deer need a hand but alot of those same people are the same ones that harass the hell out of em when they need a break the most.

CorbLand

WKR
The best part about the majority of the comments is one of two things.
1. How many people that don’t understand what the DWR has authority over. The DWR can’t stop people from hiking, biking, etc.
2. How many think that the moment the snow melts deer are magically going to be fine. It’s deep snow, cold temperatures combined with lack of feed that causes the problem. If the snow melts and feed doesn’t come in, the deer are still ******.

The best part about the majority of the comments is one of two things.
1. How many people that don’t understand what the DWR has authority over. The DWR can’t stop people from hiking, biking, etc.

I also don't understand why people seem to think that shed hunting and hiking/snowshoeing/etc both impact wildlife equally. One activity is primarily done on established, frequently used trails, while the other has people intentionally seeking out the places where wildlife lives.

CorbLand

WKR
I also don't understand why people seem to think that shed hunting and hiking/snowshoeing/etc both impact wildlife equally. One activity is primarily done on established, frequently used trails, while the other has people intentionally seeking out the places where wildlife lives.
But think of the pictures.

CorbLand

WKR
with that then every hiker, rider etc should not be allowed
Fish and game agencies do not have authority it stop people from recreating. They do have the authority to manage wildlife. Do you think if they could stop people from hiking, skiing, biking, etc on winter range they wouldn’t?

twall13

WKR
I saw this on Instagram last night. Crazy to see how upset the "influencers" are about it. I've always felt like shed hunting should be pushed back anyway, and the deer certainly need the help this year. I've seen deer in places I've never seen them this year just searching for anything to survive on. I'm sure it's not like this everywhere in the state, but it simplifies things to close it everywhere. If they don't close it statewide, people from the areas that are closed will flock to the other areas and put that much more pressure on the animals. I'm glad to see the conversation here seems to be a lot more reasonable than on instagram.

CorbLand

WKR
I saw this on Instagram last night. Crazy to see how upset the "influencers" are about it. I've always felt like shed hunting should be pushed back anyway, and the deer certainly need the help this year. I've seen deer in places I've never seen them this year just searching for anything to survive on. I'm sure it's not like this everywhere in the state, but it simplifies things to close it everywhere. If they don't close it statewide, people from the areas that are closed will flock to the other areas and put that much more pressure on the animals. I'm glad to see the conversation here seems to be a lot more reasonable than on instagram.
My favorite two on Instagram are

One guy asking about picking them up in private ground so they don’t puncture the tires on his tractor. I don’t know but I feel like a phone call would be better suited then asking that question on ******* Instagram.

All the people talking about the late elk hunts. Many people have been saying those should be stopped for years but none of the people comparing those to shed hunting have ever showed up before.

Reactions: OMB

twall13

WKR
Ya, I thought the elk hunt comparison was weird anyway. They are using the late cow tags to thin the herds, so I don't see how that pressure is comparable to shed hunting.

ewade07

WKR
Ya, I thought the elk hunt comparison was weird anyway. They are using the late cow tags to thin the herds, so I don't see how that pressure is comparable to shed hunting.
is there really that many elk in that area? honestly, i dont know, not a sarcastic question.

i would think that the pressure would be very comparable for both cases.