Shed closure Utah Feb 7th to April 30th

ewade07

WKR
im curious if any of you UT folk have been out and about and seen some people out looking for antlers....

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not to be a jerk but its not working at all in Colorado. Most sheds are picked up well before season. Dudes packing out at 7am may 1st with loads on their backs. I can only imagine what southern Utah will look like...
Like most things, it keeps the honest people honest. I’m a shitty shed hunter but I don’t go out until may.

svivian

WKR
Like most things, it keeps the honest people honest. I’m a shitty shed hunter but I don’t go out until may.
Yep that's where I'm at... its just something fun to do that gets me out there. Now instead of finding a horn or two I just find boot tracks and coors light cans 🤷‍♂️

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yep that's where I'm at... its just something fun to do that gets me out there. Now instead of finding a horn or two I just find boot tracks and coors light cans 🤷‍♂️
I’ve been out 5-6 times. Never found a shed. Went on private once with owner permission to look for a wounded buck. Saw 20+ sheds in 10 minutes. 😂

velvetfvr

WKR
If you really wanted to relieve pressure on wildlife you'd have to stop every sort of recreation on the winter range. Yes in theory this will stop some harassment from specific groups of humans but it will not stop all harassment and pressure.

I'm still out there cat or coyote hunting twice a week. Most of the time I'm walking on dry ground. Seems like all the deer I see are on north facing snowy hillsides and the bulls stay in the deep snow so they dont get messed with. I definitely understand the closure for places that have 200 or more inches this season. But even if Colorado was open there is no way in hell I'd shed hunt in that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
im curious if any of you UT folk have been out and about and seen some people out looking for antlers....
I have been glassing the winter range a fair amount and haven’t seen anyone. Did see some snowshoe tracks this evening but don’t know if it was someone just out for a stroll or shed hunting.

I am not in the shed hunting game but what I miss the most is to be able to be out on a hunting trip and find sheds while you’re hunting as a bonus. Very very seldom that I experience that anymore. Be interesting to see what a ban on selling sheds would do to the amount of people in the woods. In a roundabout way people are profiting off wildlife which is a direct violation of the North American model of wildlife conservation.