Sevr Broadheads...More Trouble Than They Are Worth

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
So I have tested and used dozens of different broadheads both fixed and mechanicals over the years. Over the past year I have used Sevr Titanium 2.0 broadheads and finally had enough of these heads. I preface this by saying the Sevr's are razor sharp out of the box, fly great, love the practice mode option, and from the 3 deer I killed with these heads the blood trails are awesome.

The cons in my opinion outweigh the pros. The issues I have with the Sevr's are that the titanium ferrule is extremely long, easily deploys in your quiver when moving through brush, deadfall, when pulling your bow up into a tree, etc. and replacing the blades is the biggest pain in the butt. The ferrules are so long it makes my arrows stick out past the cam of my bow (tight spot quiver is maxed out on height so cant move it up any further) so when I pull it up a tree with a bow rope the nocks dig into the ground and the brief pressure causes some of the heads to deploy. If you put any pressure on the tip of the ferrule to the hood of your quiver they will deploy and you can't just easily reset the blades since they lock, so going through deadfall or brush can be a huge pain and you'll need to carry a bunch of extra heads just in case. Replacing the blades after shooting an animal or resetting them after deploying in the quiver requires a small allen wrench and I have the hardest time getting the blades aligned properly then getting the small washer in place between the blades. It took me about 30-40 minutes to replace a single set of blades at my work bench, for me it would be nearly impossible to do in the field. Perhaps its just my fat fingers, but if I can't easily replace/reset blades when they easily deploy in your quiver it just becomes a nightmare. Several other people I have spoken to who use these heads have the same issues. It's disappointing these broadheads which perform so well in the perfect circumstance have so many downfalls to where I can't use them anymore.

Last edited:

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I killed an antelope and a bull with 2.0 Sevr this season and agree with you. They’d be great if you had an unlimited supply and they were free, but they’re essentially one-and-done. I’m going back to fixed blade next season.

Wheels

WKR
I totally agree with you on the blade replacement. I bought some for a mule deer hunt and have been using them to eliminate some does at the house. I’ve gotten to the point where they are a one and done broadhead, I have a hell of a time getting everything lined up and the stupid little washer in place just to have the Allen head screw strip out when screwing it in.
Great head, but not worth it for me when I can replace blades on my Slick Tricks in 15 seconds.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I bought 15 and took them apart to sharpen them.. I didn't find them sharp enough to hunt with out of the package.. the blade angles are different so I had to rebevel the head to get them sharp. The blades had a slight warp from the factory only noticeable when you try to sharpen them . Once these are gone I'll go back to the Trypans. I don't care if a broadhead is one and done as long as it's sharp and does it's job.

I didn’t have a problem putting them back together. I use the little Allen wrench to line it all up then put the screw in.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I bought 15 and took them apart to sharpen them.. I didn't find them sharp enough to hunt with out of the package.. the blade angles are different so I had to rebevel the head to get them sharp. The blades had a slight warp from the factory only noticeable when you try to sharpen them . Once these are gone I'll go back to the Trypans. I don't care if a broadhead is one and done as long as it's sharp and does it's job.

I didn’t have a problem putting them back together. I use the little Allen wrench to line it all up then put the screw in.
Tried that too, would align just fine until you need to put them in the ferrule. Then I could rarely ever get everything lined up without stripping the screw, washer falling out, warping the washer, etc. Great in theory but not real user friendly.

Ucsdryder

WKR

If you strop them on some leather with a compound they’ll sharpen up almost immediately. I had them hair popping in seconds.

McNadler

FNG
Literally changed directions and ended up with Reapers after belaboring my decisions between Sevrs and GR. The Sevrs seem like great heads but I couldn’t convince myself to buy in. Glad I held off for now.

The cons in my opinion outweigh the pros. The issues I have with the Sevr's are that the titanium ferrule is extremely long, easily deploys in your quiver when moving through brush, deadfall, when pulling your bow up into a tree, etc

just take a 1/8 drill bit and drill 5 holes in your tight spot and problem solved it wont deploy anymore. you could pull your bow up by the bottom cam too instead of the top cam

Literally changed directions and ended up with Reapers after belaboring my decisions between Sevrs and GR. The Sevrs seem like great heads but I couldn’t convince myself to buy in. Glad I held off for now.
im colorblind and struggled with blood trails with the over the top deploying heads like grim reaper and spitfire. switching to a rear deploying like kill zone or sevr was a big improvement. good luck

Take some clear silicone and dab it where each head tucks into the quiver. Put some olive oil on ferrule to act as a release agent and place each arrow into the silicone as you see fit. Let dry overnight and the arrows should pull out easy with a custom mold for where the arrow should go.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
just take a 1/8 drill bit and drill 5 holes in your tight spot and problem solved it wont deploy anymore. you could pull your bow up by the bottom cam too instead of the top cam
I do pull the bow up from the bottom cam now when hunting from a stand, but that doesn't solve going through thick deadfall/blowdown in the backcountry which is arguably the most important time I need them not to deploy. I also tried using a hard foam insert cut to size for the quiver hood and head diameter but the moment an arrow bumps too hard that rubber band is a goner

TX_Diver

WKR
Aron Snyder suggested cutting a slit into the foam in the quiver to prevent deployment.

I can't get them to fly well so for me it was a non-starter.

To their credit though their customer service has been extremely responsive in troubleshooting, but they are going down the bow tuning path and now wanting videos of me shooting so I'm getting skeptical. I have Iron Wills flying to 70, last year Rage heads were flying to 90, and right now my VPAs are hitting right, but are at least grouping.

Wow, crossing those off the list

Simplicity is key, if guys are struggling that much I would be lost with these.

I’ve had real good luck with them. Getting them to sit tightly in the tight spot quiver was a challenge but I found the solution I suggested above fixed that. To me every broadhead is a one and done on big game so hassles associated with changing blades doesn’t really apply. If a broadhead looks “ok” I have kept it in the quiver for varmints but I don’t reuse them for big game after a kill. It gets honorably admitted to the kill arrow hall of fame

WoodBow

WKR
I will just weigh in to add that I can close the heads, after they are locked open, without any big fuss. I believe that wedge end of the wrench tool they come with is made for assisting in closing them. However I can do it without the tool or by using a replaceable knife blade.

Foam in a quiver sucks. I'd recommend the trophy ridge hex quiver. Double grippers, no foam. No dulling your heads with a lot of in and out and no heads being deployed accidentally.

nphunter

WKR
I had similar issues with Trypans, not really pushing them in but catching on brush and stuff while walking around. I've switched to Dead Meats and have killed my last 3 bulls with them and they work awesome, I am also color blind which is why I switched to mechanicals in the first place. I still use the Trypans in open country thought, they perform awesome on game.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a couple and mine were dull out of the box. Sticking with my fixed blades. Had a grim reaper pro not deploy this weekend. So that enough mechanical experimenting for a long time

josef

FNG
I will just weigh in to add that I can close the heads, after they are locked open, without any big fuss. I believe that wedge end of the wrench tool they come with is made for assisting in closing them. However I can do it without the tool or by using a replaceable knife blade.

Foam in a quiver sucks. I'd recommend the trophy ridge hex quiver. Double grippers, no foam. No dulling your heads with a lot of in and out and no heads being deployed accidentally.
This is what I did. I added the double gripper to my tight spot and it just didnt press the broadheads all the way up into the top of the quiver. Didnt have any orings getting cut that way.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of things to love about Sevrs, but I had nothing but issues with them in the quiver while hunting. I tried quivers with foam and rubber inserts, and messed around with how deep they are pushed in. I would get them where they would ride fine shooting my bow and practicing, but a day in the elk woods, they would be either stretching out the bands or breaking them. Never tried going to a double gripper setup, didn't have the patience to keep messing with stuff. Never thought I would shoot Rages, but switched to the hypodermics after trying the Sevrs. I have had great success with them.

rclouse79

WKR
I bought the tight spot quiver with 2 arrow grippers and didn't experience any of the issues you described. It holds the arrows so solidly that it isn't even necessary for the heads to touch the inside of the quiver and they don't budge.
My only gripe is the initial sharpness. They were nowhere close to being able to shave hair out of the box. I sharpened them all, which was a pain.