Smaller cutting diameter 2-blade mechanicals

CMF

WKR
Are there any 2-blade mech broadheads with a smaller cutting diameter than a Sevr 1.5? If so, post em up. If not why?
Fixed 2-blades are as small as 7/8"(the bare min in some states) to Iron Wills at 1-1/16", even the wide series IW is only 1-3/8". I think it's obvious why fixed heads aren't larger, but why aren't there smaller mechanicals?

I shot a mule deer with a Sevr 1.5 this year and like the mechs I've shot in the past, it didn't pass through. Earlier whitetail shots were with lighter arrows <400grn and larger mechs like 2". With a broadside shot, 480grn arrow, and 1.5" cutting broadhead, I anticipated a pass-through on this muley, but it didn't happen. He still piled up only 50 yards away, but my arrow broke and I feel like there is penetration to be gained by going to a smaller head.

Bump79

WKR
I think it's obvious why fixed heads aren't larger, but why aren't there smaller mechanicals?
Depreciating returns. There's plenty of fixed blades in smaller profile that fly fantastic. Say a RAD 3b with the LPV (low profile vented), GR micro hades 3b, IW vented, Valkyrie, so many more to list.

This might be somewhat controversial - but I'm not sold on small cut mechanicals. You're blowing most of your load with a mechanical just opening it. Might as well just go for it if your able to shoot a mechanical. You're getting a little better flight but not much more than a compact vented 3/4b. And actually cutting less tissue with the small 3b.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why you think it didn't pass through. Shot distance? Hit bone? I have shot whitetails with as little as a 300 grain TAW going around 295 fps at the bow and had pass throughs consistently past 50 yards. The broadhead was the rocket miniblaster that has been discontinued, but is a 1.75" 3 blade mech. I did sharpen the blades.

My brother used to be part of a NFP that was given a bunch of Rage BH. He shot them with a pretty heavy set-up and had issues. He then sharpened blades and the issues went away. Not a lot of broadheads are as sharp as they could be from the factory. I also stopped sharpening the mimiblasters for a time when I raised my draw weight and arrow weight. I bumped to a 365 grain arrow at 305 fps. The performance was worse than the lighter setup with sharp blades. The first deer I shot with that set-up after sharpening again was at 42 yards from the ground. The arrow went 35-40 yards past the deer after going through the heart. Plenty of penetration. That said, when I shoot the offside shoulder on quartering away shots, it usually stops there when shots get over 35 yards or so.

If you want a smaller head, wasp makes a 3 blade jackhammer that is 1.25" as well as the others that have been suggested.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Depreciating returns. There's plenty of fixed blades in smaller profile that fly fantastic.
maybe fantastic, but not as good as a mech.
You're blowing most of your load with a mechanical just opening it.
I agree. But after it's open, wouldn't a smaller diameter penetrate further? potentially the extra needed to punch through...

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
It seems like most mechs don't have a good cutting tip either... at least compared to coc fixed
seems like that would rob it of energy and penetration as well

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Curious why you think it didn't pass through. Shot distance? Hit bone?
55 yd shot, probably stopped somewhere in the offside shoulder, but I don't recall seeing exactly where. I should have investigated better, but I just went to work skinning...

A couple of the whitetail failures I had were nap kill zones that stoped in the hide on the off side. I did have a couple pass thrus with some rages. This has been many years ago now.

There's no question they can do some damage and deer were recovered quickly in all of my cases, but it would be nice to not break an arrow every time I shoot one.

MattB

WKR
How well is your set-up tuned? I have shot ~50 animals with a 2” 2 blade MBH (Vortex 125 gr. Steel) and had none of the penetration problems you have had. Most with a 435 gr arrow, 70#, 27.5” DL.

nphunter

WKR
Look at the Hyde from evolution outdoors. They are still a larger cut but they are supposed to penetrate better due to the COC blade in the front and sharpened blade tips. That’s what I’m using this fall. I’ve been shooting 1 1/2” three blade G5 dead meats and have shot several all the way through mature bull elk. 70lbs, 27.5” draw and 490gr. I switched to 450gr this year with the Hyde and skinny arrows.

Reactions: Zac
maybe fantastic, but not as good as a mech.

I agree. But after it's open, wouldn't a smaller diameter penetrate further? potentially the extra needed to punch through...
There’s a lot more physics involved such as how did the head open, drag on head, drag on arrow, and loss of momentum overall. All these include reasons stated above such as draw weight, length, arrow weight, diameter, head shape, sharpness, thickness and design of blade. Smaller isn’t always the answer I’ve zipped through elk but have been stopped on the off side of an antelope. Different heads but it mainly depended on what bones were hit and how much tissue cut.

I shot a mule deer with a Sevr 1.5 this year and like the mechs I've shot in the past, it didn't pass through. Earlier whitetail shots were with lighter arrows <400grn and larger mechs like 2". With a broadside shot, 480grn arrow, and 1.5" cutting broadhead, I anticipated a pass-through on this muley, but it didn't happen. He still piled up only 50 yards away
Is a 50 yard recovery a failure to you? I think a lot of archery guys would think this the cats butt heck even rifle hunters chase much much further.

I’d think if it as excellent performance without seeing a dissection showing failure

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
How well is your set-up tuned?
earlier shots on Whitetail years ago, it's possible it wasn't great. It's well tuned now, broadhead tune out to 60 looks good

Is a 50 yard recovery a failure to you? I think a lot of archery guys would think this the cats butt heck even rifle hunters chase much much further.

I’d think if it as excellent performance without seeing a dissection showing failure
I'm not saying it's a failure, as mentioned above, all of the animals were recovered easily. I'd just rather have blood pouring out both sides and my $20+ arrow not broken in half every time I shoot a mech.
I'm thinking if it won't pass through on a broadside shot, it's even less likely to pass through on a quarter shot.

Mostly just wondering why a 1-1/16 cut is widely accepted for fixed, but can't find a 2 blade mech smaller than 1.5.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Look at the Hyde from evolution outdoors. They are still a larger cut but they are supposed to penetrate better due to the COC blade in the front and sharpened blade tips. That’s what I’m using this fall. I’ve been shooting 1 1/2” three blade G5 dead meats and have shot several all the way through mature bull elk. 70lbs, 27.5” draw and 490gr. I switched to 450gr this year with the Hyde and skinny arrows.
I do like the tip on those, I think that's better than most of the other designs.

I want a Sevr 1.2 with a 3/8 tip like the hyde, lined up with the rear blades.
1708265215986.png

Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mostly just wondering why a 1-1/16 cut is widely accepted for fixed, but can't find a 2 blade mech smaller than 1.5.
Probably because the smaller heads are already available in fixed heads, so a mechanical isn't needed in that size. I've shot a 1.5" fixed blade original German Kinetics Silverflame XL quite a bit. They shoot amazingly well, have shot them many times at 70-80 yards into targets and are always very close to point of aim.

I also shot a 6x6 bull quartering away with a 1.5" Ulmer Edge (Sevr predecessor) at 54 yards, that completely passed through and went through the humerus bone as well while landing 20 yards past the bull. Would have been liver and one lung hit most likely. Lost the trail in the dark and came back in the morning to find where he bedded. It was the last blood we found, and appears that the wound sealed up. He was eventually found much later .17 miles further away in a direction about 120 degrees from his original path. I won't use a 1.5" 2-blade again because of that. I've always preferred three blade heads, but just "had" to try those out. If I would have used my 125gr Spitfires or Fatal Steel heads instead (or even my Exodus), that bull most likely wouldn't have gone near as far.

Blood started out good......then dwindled to nothing when we lost it, then what we finally found the next morning where he bedded......then nothing. That last pic, the blood is about 5 feet across.
100_2617.JPG100_2619.JPG100_2622.JPG

big44a4

WKR
When the arrow breaks penetration stops. There is nothing to continue pushing the broadhead as all energy is lost at that point. I’d look at arrow setup (component system etc) before chasing a smaller mech that doesn’t exist. I had a buddy show me an IW single bevel that deflected on a bull he shot broadside at 40 yards. So even a small cut fixed can’t always produce 100% perfect results as many would assume. Too many factors when shooting live animals.

MattB

WKR
As to the why not, there really is no point to a small cutting diameter mechanical BH when well-designed cut on contact BH’s of similar cutting diameter exist. The benefit of MBH’s is being able to deliver a wide cut without the flight issues. A 1.25” 2 blade MBH gives you all the downside (actuation/mechanical complexity) with very little benefit.

AkRyan

WKR
If a servr 1.5 didn't go through then your shooting at long range, low draw weight, or you hit solid bone. Those heads go though everything.

rclouse79

WKR
I sent a 2.0 sever completely through the spine of a mule deer and dropped it on the spot (oops). I sent a 1.5 sever through the lungs of an elk this past season and it had enough energy left to make a shower of sparks and curl over the titanium tip when it hit a rock on the other side. Those two experiences caused me to sell all of my 1.5 heads and buy all 2.0 heads. I am shooting a 31-inch draw with 70 lbs and a 500 + grain arrow. I am guessing I could shoot a butter knife through an elk.

Zac

WKR
Why in the world aren’t you just shooting a fixed blade? You’re already okay with a smaller cut so that is your answer. Anyway I found a very small mechanical for you.