Sevr Broadheads...More Trouble Than They Are Worth

Wapiti1

WKR
I got some 1.5's to try this year and haven't had any issues with them. I don't use a tight spot quiver on that bow, so can't comment on that. A 2 piece quiver works better on this bow and it has 2 grippers and the cover just has a flat piece of rubber in it.

Sharpness has been fine on the ones I unpackaged to use during practice. I just expect that I will strop or touch up every broadhead I own regardless of make. Every head/arrow combo is shot at my max yardage (75) to verify good flight, so all of them end up hitting a target a few times.

Seem about as fiddly as every other mechanical that I've used.

Jeremy

CB4

WKR
I killed a spike with one in September and they will not be in my quiver ever again for elk. 1/2 of a blade hit a rib on the way in and it bent. The lever action of the broadhead became ineffective and one blade was stuck straight out at a 90 degree angle from the arrow. Not a good way to cut anything. Luckily the elk died within 75 yards but there was no blood trail.

Same experience as Justin back 7 and 8 seasons ago. Won’t use Sevr/Ulmer Edges after trying them after a couple seasons.

That said they are very accurate and easy to test accuracy. But blood trails and terminal performance lacked for me. And I did bring home a Roosevelt elk, grizzly, Coues deer, black bear, whitetail and Blacktail shot with them so not a tiny sample size.

After reading sometime ago about them opening in quivers i have been waiting for it to happen but 2 seasons of use from the midwest to the appalachians and roughly 200+ miles on horseback through MT/CO and have not had a single one open. Is it primarily happening in foam quivers? I use tight spot so nothing comes in contact with the blades.

WoodBow

WKR
After reading sometime ago about them opening in quivers i have been waiting for it to happen but 2 seasons of use from the midwest to the appalachians and roughly 200+ miles on horseback through MT/CO and have not had a single one open. Is it primarily happening in foam quivers? I use tight spot so nothing comes in contact with the blades.
yes. They are designed to open with they enter and animal and people are shocked that they open when pushed into foam. As advanced as archery has gotten, it blows my mind that some quivers still have foam in the hood.

This sounds much more like a quiver and short ATA bow issue than a broadhead issue.

I switched to sevr 1.5s this year from the normal rage hypo's I shoot. This season my shots are much further than in the past (50-100). I couldn't find any smaller cut rage's in stock anywhere so I went with the sevr 1.5. So far killed a caribou at 60, complete pass thru and buried in the tundra behind it that I couldn't find the arrow. Shot a black bear as well and same thing at 50. Never had an issue with the heads coming open going through alder and willow. As far as sharpness, just as sharp out of the box as any other broadhead.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds much more like a quiver and short ATA bow issue than a broadhead issue.

I switched to sevr 1.5s this year from the normal rage hypo's I shoot. This season my shots are much further than in the past (50-100). I couldn't find any smaller cut rage's in stock anywhere so I went with the sevr 1.5. So far killed a caribou at 60, complete pass thru and buried in the tundra behind it that I couldn't find the arrow. Shot a black bear as well and same thing at 50. Never had an issue with the heads coming open going through alder and willow. As far as sharpness, just as sharp out of the box as any other broadhead.
Wouldn’t consider a 31 inch ATA bow to be too short for a 29.5 inch draw. Have a tight spot quiver with dual grippers and have tried different foam inserts as well to try and keep them from opening. It’s only the sevrs that I have this issue with due to the extremely long ferrule. Previously used multiple fixed heads but mechanicals I have used grim reapers, rage hypodermics no collars, g5 mega meats, swhacker 261’s, and NAP killzones and never had those problems nearly like I do sevrs. I don’t have any issues with sharpness, they fly well, cut great with good blood etc but climbing through matchstick blowdown they deploy on me quite a bit then the blades are a pain to quickly replace. They are a great head in the right circumstances but not for me.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I bought the tight spot quiver with 2 arrow grippers and didn't experience any of the issues you described. It holds the arrows so solidly that it isn't even necessary for the heads to touch the inside of the quiver and they don't budge.
My only gripe is the initial sharpness. They were nowhere close to being able to shave hair out of the box. I sharpened them all, which was a pain.
Same, used them for 2 years in my tightspot, no issues whatsoever.
I love the 1.5" , they are fantastic.

Jimbob

WKR
The only issue I have with them is that the blades rattle in the quiver when you shoot. I think I have a solution to that now so I'm happy with them.

WoodBow

WKR
The only issue I have with them is that the blades rattle in the quiver when you shoot. I think I have a solution to that now so I'm happy with them.
I will say that mine do do that. Wasn't happy to discover that. They have a spring washer built into them but I guess it isn't taking up all of the slop or the rattle is on the other end.

I killed a spike with one in September and they will not be in my quiver ever again for elk. 1/2 of a blade hit a rib on the way in and it bent. The lever action of the broadhead became ineffective and one blade was stuck straight out at a 90 degree angle from the arrow. Not a good way to cut anything. Luckily the elk died within 75 yards but there was no blood trail.

I might have posted this elsewhere here but I shot a mule deer with a 125gr 1.5 this year with zero blood trail. She died quickly but I also shot a cow elk mid-lung that took me a week to find. It looked as if the hide moved over the entry/exit wound. Back to fixed blades for me. The quiver issue with SEVR's is a non-issue with the tight spot quiver that holds the arrow in two places.

TX_Diver

WKR
I spent some time shooting them again today. My VPA three blades were hitting right and low. Once I got those hitting with the field points the sevrs started hitting better too. Still not sure why they are harder to tune then the iron will solids though. Going to keep shooting them a bit. The practice mode is a great feature

Wapiti1

WKR
I spent some time shooting them again today. My VPA three blades were hitting right and low. Once I got those hitting with the field points the sevrs started hitting better too. Still not sure why they are harder to tune then the iron will solids though. Going to keep shooting them a bit. The practice mode is a great feature
After shooting them for the last three months, I have noticed a couple of things. I periodically have to take the blades out and clean the target foam or they will fly out of the group. This is in practice mode. A blade will get slightly cocked and I'll get a flyer with it. Not way off, but a few inches out of the group at 40 plus yards.

If I use one in practice mode for a while the spring washer flattens a bit and they start to rattle. I've been putting a little more spring in the washer with pliers and that does the trick. I've also tried side verse center of the blades with the washer and center seems to give slightly better flight.

Overall, they seem like a decent head, but I've shot nothing but foam with them. We'll see.

Jeremy

devinhal

FNG
I've been happy with the performance so far. The blood trails don't look like buckets dumped on the ground, but easy enough to follow. They have killed everything I have shot with them so far. As far as them opening in the foam quivers, I have a tightspot 2 piece quiver and I just hold the blades in the ferrule as I slide them into the foam holes. This keeps them from opening and prevents the blades from rattling. At the moment I don't have any reason to try something else yet.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
SEVR's are great heads. 4 Elk and 5 mule deer would agree. You just need to add the second gripper to a tight spot and problem solved. Simple.