Semi-Budget arrow build

Rocky723

FNG
Hello, I’m a fairly new archery hunter and I’m looking for some help. I’ve done lots of research about this topic and can’t find any answers that satisfy my needs. I’m trying to find an arrow build that will be good for elk. I’m shooting 65# at a 27.5” draw and I’m looking to be around 450-500 grain range. I’d like to keep it semi budget friendly but not opposed to spend a bit if it’s worth it. Lmk your suggestions please and thank you. Brand doesn’t matter too much as long as it’s good quality.

The Axis above is a good suggestion, Ive been down the skinny arrow path and back and for someone looking to stay in a budget I’d suggest standard diameter or 6mm like Black Eagle Spartans or Easton Hexx. For really budget friendly and if you or someone you know will cut from both ends look at Black Eagle Outlaws in 350 spine- add their 44 grain stainless insert and a 125 head will get you in the mid 400 grains. They are straighter than advertised and have awes spine consistency

Reactions: Zac

Elkhntr08

WKR
So, you’re wanting to drop $1,000+ on a elk hunt, but we not to save $100 on your arrows?
Next to the broadhead, your arrow is the second most important piece of equipment. If your arrow is not up to the task, it will not deliver the broadhead with maximum energy.
Arrows last a long time, or should. Spend some money and get the best, it’s money you won’t regret spending. Just my .02

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Easton 6.5 with weights added behind the insert. Gold tip makes weights, but you can also find cheaper weights on Amazon or eBay. I’m shooting 300s with 100 grains of weight behind the insert. Comes in about 520 total with a 100gr broadhead.

Bump79

WKR
I highly recommend getting the 340 Easton Axis. If it was me I'd get the SPT .006" tolerance shaft at that draw length and pro cut them. I personally like a footer on them and you can get those from Ethics reasonably priced. You can also do a DIY footer for next to nothing.

You don't sacrifice any strength with a .003-.006 shaft. It's the same exact shaft that just didn't make the tight tolerance for QC of .001".

Last edited:
Stick with standard diameter (.244-.246"/6.5mm) shafts if you want to keep your arrows budget friendly. Small (.204"/5mm) and micro (.166"/4mm) shafts are more expensive, more limited in compatible components, and offer little-to-no practical advantages over standard shafts.

Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm Acu-Carbon, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are budget friendly standard diameter shafts around 8.5-9.5 gpi at 300-350 spine. Any of those shafts cut around 26-27" with 200-225 gr on the front and 30 gr on the back would hit your target total arrow weight. All of those manufacturers offer heavy inserts and/or weight screws to increase front end weight.

ShakeDown

WKR
Stick with standard diameter (.244-.246"/6.5mm) shafts if you want to keep your arrows budget friendly. Small (.204"/5mm) and micro (.166"/4mm) shafts are more expensive, more limited in compatible components, and offer little-to-no practical advantages over standard shafts.

Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm Acu-Carbon, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are budget friendly standard diameter shafts around 8.5-9.5 gpi at 300-350 spine. Any of those shafts cut around 26-27" with 200-225 gr on the front and 30 gr on the back would hit your target total arrow weight. All of those manufacturers offer heavy inserts and/or weight screws to increase front end weight.
Exactly this.

87TT

WKR
I believe that the Blackout arrows at BassPro and Cabelas are the same as Gold tip Hunter series. Both made by Gold tip.

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
So, you’re wanting to drop $1,000+ on a elk hunt, but we not to save $100 on your arrows?
Next to the broadhead, your arrow is the second most important piece of equipment. If your arrow is not up to the task, it will not deliver the broadhead with maximum energy.
Arrows last a long time, or should. Spend some money and get the best, it’s money you won’t regret spending. Just my .02
I live in an area where I can spend less than $100 for an elk tag and license and I am a youth hunter that pays for my own equipment so I would like to if possible save some money.

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far I’ll still be checking this thread to see what everyone says but so far it sounds like an Easton Axis Shaft with some inserts will get the job done.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I live in an area where I can spend less than $100 for an elk tag and license and I am a youth hunter that pays for my own equipment so I would like to if possible save some money.
Understand, lucky resident.
The 5mm Axis with serve you well. I shot them for a couple years before going to the FMJ 5mm for more weight.

Wheels

WKR
Black Ovis has a thread in the classifieds with “misfit” arrow builds. Look thru the arrows they have listed and see if something catches your eye. The prices are good.

BDRam16

WKR
A Black Eagle Renegade would get you 417gr with 100gr head in 27”. Could add a 50gr weight behind the insert and be right around 467 and around 15% FOC for $120.

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
Black Ovis has a thread in the classifieds with “misfit” arrow builds. Look thru the arrows they have listed and see if something catches your eye. The prices are good.
Thank you very much I didn’t know they add any forums over there but I’ll check it out!

Button

WKR
I bought a dozen Easton Aftermaths(.006) to try. Overall very happy with the straightness and all were within 2 grains after I cut and squared them. I have not shot or fletched them, hopefully they are durable. They are much straighter than the .006 Axis I bought.
I’ll probably pick up another dozen gt hunters and aftermaths.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a dozen Easton Aftermaths(.006) to try. Overall very happy with the straightness and all were within 2 grains after I cut and squared them. I have not shot or fletched them, hopefully they are durable. They are much straighter than the .006 Axis I bought.
I’ll probably pick up another dozen gt hunters and aftermaths.
I shot aftermaths for a while, no issue with them.

Hard to go wrong with gold tip XT Hunter shafts. Straight enough for most, standard insert system and I break less arrows than axis.
They give you the ability to use a heavier insert or add weights behind your inserts.

I shoot a 27” GT pro or XT with 40 gr of weight behind the insert and 100 gr tip/bh that puts me right at 450 gr +\- depending on fletching combo with good FOC. They just flat work…

Arrows are not hard to build and it can be pretty rewarding to do. Plenty of info and detailed threads on here.