Arrow Build suggestions - 459gr

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I think I have it narrowed down to what I want on my arrow build for elk but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions.

I'm shooting a Mathews bow, 28' draw, 68 pounds.

Easton Axis 5mm 340 Match 28" arrow, regular green nock, pink and green 2" Bohning veins, green wrap, 25 grain aluminum half out insert, right 2 degree turn, 125 IW broadhead, 10 grain impact broadhead collar. Puts me at 459. Suggestions?

Once you're over 400 grains, I'd worry a lot more about how the arrow flies than +/- x grains of arrow weight. and you are going to have more weight that that in your build just from the glue. I'm a trad shooter, and a 500 grain arrow going 150 fps at point of impact will go clean through most anything in North America if the tune is right, the head is sharp, and I don't hit a big leg bone or the spine.

JC hunter

FNG
I think your right on with your arrows. I'v been using 450 grain arrows for elk for years I shoot 68lbs as well this year I shot clean through my elk and moose. Good luck

Marble

WKR
I agree with HITs instead.

So instead of the following:

"25 grain aluminum half out insert, right 2 degree turn, 125 IW broadhead, 10 grain impact broadhead collar."

Just use the HITs, say a 50 grain brass HIT, and then be open to 100 or 125 grains heads. You are right on the edge of needing a 300 spine arrow, IME. The only way you will really know is to shoot some of the broadheads you plan to use and see how they do compared to field points. At those specs you have listed, I've had it work with both 300 or 340 spine, depending on the point weight.

If you want a collar, get the BAR from easton.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
M

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
ditch the half out, use a hit and add an ethics or iron will impact collar.

also, i really doubt you can use an impact collar with the half-out, have you test-fitted everything together?
No I haven't - I was just putting the arrow together in my mind and on paper so far....

BigK421

FNG
I like an arrow around 450 grains. That is a good "medium" arrow weight. I agree with the others, run an HIT insert with an impact collar. Remember, structural integrity of the front of the arrow is important. A longer insert and impact collar definitely helps with this. Of course it increases the FOC of the arrow, but more importantly makes the arrows a bit stronger.

KneeDeep

FNG
I'm not sure what the spine charts will say but that setup looks like it could be flirting with under-spined at 340. For my GoldTip Hunter arrows I've found that when I'm on the edge of spine boundary according to their charts I need to stiffen them up to get the tighter groups.

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Only change I would suggest is a hidden insert (HIT) instead of a half-out. Otherwise sounds like a great arrow.
Just curious as to why you recommend the HIT over a half-out and if you had any test performed to support your theory? I called Easton and spoke to them about this exact point and my mechanical concerns with a half-out, but after our conversation (in short) they claimed it was chevy vs ford.

Just curious as to why you recommend the HIT over a half-out and if you had any test performed to support your theory? I called Easton and spoke to them about this exact point and my mechanical concerns with a half-out, but after our conversation (in short) they claimed it was chevy vs ford.
I have not done any side-by-side torture testing. A HIT sits deeper inside the arrow shaft and is fully surrounded by carbon. The forward portion of a half-out sits cantilevered out in front of the arrow shaft. On soft targets, I don't think there will be any difference between the two, but on hard/angled impacts, I have to imagine that a half-out is much more susceptible to bending.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Just my anecdotal story, I recently inadvertently tested the easton 95 grain stainless steel half-out by smoking through a 20 yard target to the metal leg on the backside of the target at the local range. Arrow broke at the bottom of the insert portion. I screwed out the field point and the half out seemed reusable if you could remove the arrow around it. That being said would a HIT saved the arrow? 20230116_182216.jpg

D S 319

WKR
I have bent quite a few of my ethics system which is a half out and broken arrows that I felt like shouldn’t have. Makes me want to get away from any sort of half out.

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Just my anecdotal story, I recently inadvertently tested the easton 95 grain stainless steel half-out by smoking through a 20 yard target to the metal leg on the backside of the target at the local range. Arrow broke at the bottom of the insert portion. I screwed out the field point and the half out seemed reusable if you could remove the arrow around it. That being said would a HIT saved the arrow? View attachment 502565
Glue a HIT insert in and do the same test, I would think they both fail

I thought the performance differences were noticeable for arrow systems that had carbon sandwiched between metal on the front.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That being said would a HIT saved the arrow?
Maybe......maybe not. But with that halfout sticking that far out from the arrow with that very short shank inside the arrow.......IMO that makes that exact spot where your arrow broke the weak spot......especially with any lateral force at all on the end of the arrow.

I've been using HIT's for about 16 years now in many different .204" ID arrows. I love them. Some arrows do better than others, but overall I have seen very few issues with using HIT's even hitting hard stuff. I shot a steel T-post one time and it just mushroomed my field point. People talk about mushrooming arrows with HIT's, but I've only had that happen with one arrow in those 16 years, and that was a GT Kinetic XT 200. But I've also broken a lot of those arrows well behind the HIT inserts. The only way to mushroom the tip of the arrow is to push the point back into it, and the only way for that point to push back into it, is if the HIT insert moves. But if the insert breaks free, it won't matter whether it's the FP or the halfout mushrooming the tip.......they'll both mushroom the arrow. From my experience, if you "put them together" right, they'll hold.

Most of my issues with halfouts is them bending or breaking. I have tried many outserts and halfouts and have come to dislike most all of them. Aluminum isn't even an option IMO. Even most of the SS ones have eventually bent on me. But the school's still out on the Ethics 100gr SS halfouts for me. I have three arrows with these halfouts, and so far so good. I shoot them alongside the same arrows that have 75gr brass HIT's and 25gr heavier points and both are working very well after two years. But these Ethics 100gr don't stick out as much past the end of the arrow, and they have a longer shank inside the arrow.