Arrow Build suggestions - 459gr

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe......maybe not. But with that halfout sticking that far out from the arrow with that very short shank inside the arrow.......IMO that makes that exact spot where your arrow broke the weak spot......especially with any lateral force at all on the end of the arrow.

I've been using HIT's for about 16 years now in many different .204" ID arrows. I love them. Some arrows do better than others, but overall I have seen very few issues with using HIT's even hitting hard stuff. I shot a steel T-post one time and it just mushroomed my field point. People talk about mushrooming arrows with HIT's, but I've only had that happen with one arrow in those 16 years, and that was a GT Kinetic XT 200. But I've also broken a lot of those arrows well behind the HIT inserts. The only way to mushroom the tip of the arrow is to push the point back into it, and the only way for that point to push back into it, is if the HIT insert moves. But if the insert breaks free, it won't matter whether it's the FP or the halfout mushrooming the tip.......they'll both mushroom the arrow. From my experience, if you "put them together" right, they'll hold.

Most of my issues with halfouts is them bending or breaking. I have tried many outserts and halfouts and have come to dislike most all of them. Aluminum isn't even an option IMO. Even most of the SS ones have eventually bent on me. But the school's still out on the Ethics 100gr SS halfouts for me. I have three arrows with these halfouts, and so far so good. I shoot them alongside the same arrows that have 75gr brass HIT's and 25gr heavier points and both are working very well after two years. But these Ethics 100gr don't stick out as much past the end of the arrow, and they have a longer shank inside the arrow.
What’s your arrow weight/FOC/velocity/spine for the arrows with 75gr brass inserts?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What’s your arrow weight/FOC/velocity/spine for the arrows with 75gr brass inserts?
500gr
FOC - haven't bothered measuring and calculating it.
Velocity - 285fps this year. But I picked up a new bow last month, and haven't checked it.
Spine - .250......RIP TKO Elites cut at 30".

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
500gr
FOC - haven't bothered measuring and calculating it.
Velocity - 285fps this year. But I picked up a new bow last month, and haven't checked it.
Spine - .250......RIP TKO Elites cut at 30".
I’m at 28.5 draw/70lbs 509.5 gr arrow and 262fps. What bow do you have? Draw?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m at 28.5 draw/70lbs 509.5 gr arrow and 262fps. What bow do you have? Draw?
I was shooting my PSE Freak last year with almost 33" draw. I originally had it at 75lbs but it has a splintered limb so I turned it down for the season. No idea what the draw weight is set at, I just dropped it until I got 285fps on the chrono. Now I'm going to be shooting a 70lb Mathews Traverse with the 32.5" mods on it.

brentr9

FNG
I have not done any side-by-side torture testing. A HIT sits deeper inside the arrow shaft and is fully surrounded by carbon. The forward portion of a half-out sits cantilevered out in front of the arrow shaft. On soft targets, I don't think there will be any difference between the two, but on hard/angled impacts, I have to imagine that a half-out is much more susceptible to bending.
In our side-by-side testing, we had multiple half outs bend. We settled on HIT inserts with a collar.

Adam5757

FNG
I'd look at the victory RIP tkos. They have a lighter gpi allowing you to put more weight up front. Still .204 inside diameter. Just like the axis. 300 spine 75 grain hit insert and a 100 grain broadhead should put you right around 450-460.

brentr9

FNG
What were you shooting at?
Nothing intentional to be destructive. Blow through a target and skip off the ground etc. what we found was the half out + point acted as a fulcrum and the insert would bend. This happened with multiple inserts on random deflections. What sold us on the HIT was having an arrow blow through a block target, skip off the ground, and bury into a pine tree. That arrow system spun true after I cut it out and is still in my case 4 years later. Knock on wood - we have had zero system failures using the HIT/collar since transitioning summer of 2018.

Edit: our experiences were with 1 brand of insert. But it was annoying enough that we wrote the style off completely since what we found works for us.

Last edited:

mtnlomo

FNG
Personally testing out the half outs I have had one break just shooting foam. Two more broke shooting stumps, and one broke when my arrow hit a tree when it zipped through an old blown out target. Each arrow had been shot roughly 100x in one summer, so relatively new arrows.

Not a fan of the half outs. HIT insert with an impact collar all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
The RIP TKO is a more durable arrow than the Axis and it's lighter. I'm 28" draw, 72lbs, 300 spine RIP TKO, 100gr SS HIT's, 25gr SS Collars, 100gr points and with fletchings and a wrap I'm 500gr on the dot. Using I was just over 500gr with 50gr brass inserts in my last set of axis.

After a year of shooting my axis looked old and worn out, after 3 years my TKO's look as good as the day they were built. Both are plenty durable and the only time I've broken them is when they are inside of elk or an elk falls over dead on one. I did shoot a RIP TKO with my last 75lb bow into a boulder and broke the IW ss collar off and bent the brass HIT slightly but never hurt the arrow at all, it still shoots fine with a field tip but doesn't spin true with a broadhead.

i think the 6mm 300 easton sonic (8.8gpi) with 75 grain brass inserts with a wrap would get you close to around 450. at 28 /70 cut them to about 28.5 or 29 should tune up well. I've shot the discontinued 6mm bloodline for a long time and stocked up on them before they and the hexx were replaced by the sonic. I like 6mm bc their a little smaller than standard diameter but you can still use brass inserts and not have to use half outs or hiits. it will have better foc than you have currently and i think they're a little cheaper than axis and rip tkos too. i hunt yearround and can't be dropping almost 200 a dozen on arrows, ( i also prob dont shoot well enough to know the difference) i think that +/-.003 $90-110$ dozen range is the sweet spot on value.

edit. I see you are shooting 125s you prob only need 50 grain brass then. it's easy you just break off the 25 grain end on the 75 grain brass insert.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
i think the 6mm 300 easton sonic (8.8gpi) with 75 grain brass inserts with a wrap would get you close to around 450. at 28 /70 cut them to about 28.5 or 29 should tune up well. I've shot the discontinued 6mm bloodline for a long time and stocked up on them before they and the hexx were replaced by the sonic. I like 6mm bc their a little smaller than standard diameter but you can still use brass inserts and not have to use half outs or hiits. it will have better foc than you have currently and i think they're a little cheaper than axis and rip tkos too. i hunt yearround and can't be dropping almost 200 a dozen on arrows, ( i also prob dont shoot well enough to know the difference) i think that +/-.003 $90-110$ dozen range is the sweet spot on value.

edit. I see you are shooting 125s you prob only need 50 grain brass then. it's easy you just break off the 25 grain end on the 75 grain brass insert.
I agree on the 6mm components. I really wish they would make them in a higher gpi/wall thickness arrow. I’ve not looked at the sonic but the hex’s just seemed so thin to me

tdm

FNG
I love the simplicity of tuning with brass HIT 5mm axis. The only system I have seen more durable is black eagle with the footer. They seem to be more durable if deflected/glancing off of targets.

When it comes to hitting hard targets with axis, they simply don't win the battle.