Sell me on your Case Trimmer

ID_Matt

WKR
If someone answers something other than Henderson, it is because they haven't used one!! It is the most expensive, but no mention of price in the OP.

I’ve had a RCBS and Forester on the bench, but the one that gets used is the weird little Lee trimmer. The pilot sets the trim length, so it’s exactly the same today, tomorrow, 5 years from now, when I’m tired, in front of the tv, in good light or bad light. I don’t own anything else from Lee, and didn‘t buy it to save money, but years ago a gun writer suggested to just try it with one caliber and see what you think - I was hooked. If it was $100 per caliber I’d still use it, but luckily these things are dirt cheap and fit inside a die box for that caliber.

You can run it in a drill or just do it by hand. For lengths not available you can get a pilot for a longer cartridge and grind it to the length you want. I get a cutter for every pilot and a lock stud for every shell holder so there’s no having to take anything apart.

It’s not for everyone, but it simplifies life a little bit and trims to the exact same length every time.View attachment 650480

I use this same setup, but I've actually swapped the shell holder and the cutter. I now put the cutter in the drill with the case length gauge, and put the lock stud into a screwdriver handle for a multi-bit screw driver. I like this far better, because I had issues with the casing slipping out of the shell holder when I used the standard config as you've shown here.

TaperPin

WKR
I use this same setup, but I've actually swapped the shell holder and the cutter. I now put the cutter in the drill with the case length gauge, and put the lock stud into a screwdriver handle for a multi-bit screw driver. I like this far better, because I had issues with the casing slipping out of the shell holder when I used the standard config as you've shown here.
In all the years I’ve never tried that, but it’s a great idea - I’ll try it a few times that way.

ljalberta

WKR
I’m also looking for a trimmer.

That Lee trimmer looks interesting. For those with the Henderson or Giraud, how fiddly is it switching between cases. I am loading for .223, 6 and 6.5 CM and .308 and my goal is making everything as set and forget or as easy as possible to switch between and save time.

I wonder if I’m better off searching out something for each case that I can set and forget instead of adjusting a Henderson or Giraud each time.

That Lee trimmer looks interesting. For those with the Henderson or Giraud, how fiddly is it switching between cases. I am loading for .223, 6 and 6.5 CM and .308 and my goal is making everything as set and forget or as easy as possible to switch between and save time.

I wonder if I’m better off searching out something for each case that I can set and forget instead of adjusting a Henderson or Giraud each time.
Its very easy with the henderson. At least in my case, the henderson came with several different bolts of various lengths that you use to set cartridge lengths. So for me its as easy as labeling and marking which one is for what cartridge. Then i just swap that, and if changing caliber diameter, the 3 way cutter head as well. So for me, there is no adjusting when switching cartridges, just need to set the bolt length stop initially for each cartridge. Hope that makes sense

@ljalberta Giraud isn't bad to swap around in most cases. Cutter screws in/out easy. Case holder has a locking die ring that sets depth. Usually close enough to not adjust if wanting trim length to be the same as last time you used it. Sometimes doing virgin brass to just debur/chamfer you have to set it a little shorter than you'll want to on future trimmings so that's the only real time a guy needs to adjust if using the same brass/sizing methods from trim to trim. Henderson is nicer in that regard because it goes off OAL rather than indexing on the shoulder.

Where it's a PITA is if you're using the same cutting head with different neck thicknesses and neck tensions, its annoying to adjust the blade in/out to get the chamfer/burr depths to ideal.

I like the giraud but id get a henderson if starting from scratch now. Giraud is a side gig for the guy and i haven't gotten a call back on a voicemail i left at least a couple weeks ago looking to buy a 6mm cutter and a creedmoor case holder.

Last edited:
@ljalberta Giraud isn't bad to swap around in most cases. Cutter screws in/out easy. Case holder has a locking die ring that sets depth. Usually close enough to not adjust if wanting trim length to be the same as last time you used it. Sometimes doing virgin brass to just debur/chamfer you have to set it a little shorter than you'll want to on future trimmings so that's the only real time a guy needs to adjust if using the same brass/sizing methods from trim to trim. Henderson is nicer in that regard because it goes off OAL rather than indexing on the shoulder.

Where it's a PITA is if you're using the same cutting head with different neck thicknesses and neck tensions, its annoying to adjust the blade in/out to get the chamfer/burr depths to ideal.

I like the giraud but id get a henderson if starting from scratch now. Giraud is a side gig for the guy and i haven't gotten a call back on a voicemail i left at least a couple weeks ago looking to buy a 6mm cutter and a creedmoor case holder.
I agree with you. I did a lot of research before realizing the henderson would be best in the long run. Both were near impossible to find when i started looking, so availability might also play into someones decision

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv also got a giraud and am happy with it, but if starting from scratch it would’ve hard not to buy the Henderson. It wasn’t a super popular option when I bough.

The giraud can be a pain. Whidden adjustable lock rings make it much less of hassle but it still is.

Both are big money when all set up for multiple calibers but also save a boat load of time.

What I’m told on the Henderson is to get multiple studs/locknuts set for each cartridge and swap out as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I really like my Little Crow trimmers. When I'm trimming a ton, I haven't found anything that works near as well. I like that I can set and forget for a specific caliber and know it will be right the next time I pick it up. Its not the cheapest way to do things, but its simple.

What I’m told on the Henderson is to get multiple studs/locknuts set for each cartridge and swap out as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes you will want multiples for all your different cartridges along with the cutter heads for different calibers. Depending on cartridges it may require an extra collet too. It is expensive but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else on my bench!

Another vote for the Henderson trimmer. I used the L E Wilson manual trimmer for years and it worked well. But the Henderson is much easier on my old arthritic hands, faster, and is three functions in one.

View attachment 650637

I had an old harbor freight wood lathe laying around and I hate case trimming so here's what I did. I bought a $15 lathe adapter and Frankford arsenal drill chuck case trimmer. Put the two together and viola! Can trim about 200 cases in a 1/2 hr with sizing varying between 1.911 and 1.908. Not great, but not terrible either. If you have and old lathe laying around doing nothing it is so worth it!!
I have one of these, as well, and really like it. Since it cuts based on distance to shoulder datum, best accuracy/consistency is dependent on consistency of head to shoulder datum measurement. If that measurement is variable, than so too will be the case length measurement.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
For those with the Henderson, how repeatable is your trim length when switching back and forth between the set studs? Are you having to tweak the stud each time you reinstall it or is it dead nuts?

Admittedly on mine I’ve primarily only used it on 7-08 and 7prc and I just end up shortening/lengthening the stud every time so I haven’t tried using multiple studs with preset lengths.