Sell me on your Case Trimmer

EdP

WKR
I use an old Lyman trimmer and had problems with it that I finally figured out. First of all, the set screws for the depth of cut adjustment were steel with a plastic insert to contact the shaft. It would never hold position. That problem was solved by replacing the steel screws and plastic inserts with brass screws. The brass holds the shaft without marring it.

I also found that inserting the case in the universal holder and moving the pilot into position before locking the case into the holder made for more consistent position.

Between the screw replacement and change of technique I can keep the trims to + or - .001. Also, I found I have to chamfer the case mouth BEFORE measuring.

Case trimming is my least favorite reloading task so I am anxious to hear what others have to say.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought this because it trims and preps brass for under $200. In terms of time savings it is the second reloading gadget to own--right after a powder trickler in my opinion.

For consistency I'll say 95% of cases are within 1 thousandth, and 100% within 2 thousandths. Which exceeds my standards.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve had a RCBS and Forester on the bench, but the one that gets used is the weird little Lee trimmer. The pilot sets the trim length, so it’s exactly the same today, tomorrow, 5 years from now, when I’m tired, in front of the tv, in good light or bad light. I don’t own anything else from Lee, and didn‘t buy it to save money, but years ago a gun writer suggested to just try it with one caliber and see what you think - I was hooked. If it was $100 per caliber I’d still use it, but luckily these things are dirt cheap and fit inside a die box for that caliber.

You can run it in a drill or just do it by hand. For lengths not available you can get a pilot for a longer cartridge and grind it to the length you want. I get a cutter for every pilot and a lock stud for every shell holder so there’s no having to take anything apart.

It’s not for everyone, but it simplifies life a little bit and trims to the exact same length every time.42C9AAAF-B911-4B36-ACF3-CCD2C839978A.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveCB

FNG
Same here with EDP.
""inserting the case in the universal holder and moving the pilot into position before locking the case into the holder made for more consistent position"".
I chamfer the primer pockets slightly as well. The case will set the same each time on the ball .

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Franford Arsenal. Trim, chamfer, de-burr, and I run an RCBS primer pocket reamer in the third tool head when needed on crimped brass. Trimming setup is pretty straightforward and for the money, the whole setup is hard to beat.

I have been using the Henderson case trimmer, it’s expensive but it chamfers and de-burrs at the same time so it’s a one step process and it’s very quick and easy. I seem to stay consistently plus or minus .002 on my trimmings with it. I don’t hate the process of trimming brass anymore so for me it was worth every penny.

PXL_20231221_000419821.jpg

I had an old harbor freight wood lathe laying around and I hate case trimming so here's what I did. I bought a $15 lathe adapter and Frankford arsenal drill chuck case trimmer. Put the two together and viola! Can trim about 200 cases in a 1/2 hr with sizing varying between 1.911 and 1.908. Not great, but not terrible either. If you have and old lathe laying around doing nothing it is so worth it!!

I'd not spend good $ on one that doesn't trim, deburr, and chamfer in one step. I have a giraud bench trimmer that is awesome. The henderson looks to maybe be a step up from it. I also have a forster that can use the power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutters that is a more economical option.

So i'd say:
1a - Henderson
1b - Giraud bench trimmer
3 - forster with 3 way cutters and power adapter
27 - anything that requires separate steps to trim, chamfer, and deburr.

Last edited:
I bought this because it trims and preps brass for under $200. In terms of time savings it is the second reloading gadget to own--right after a powder trickler in my opinion.

For consistency I'll say 95% of cases are within 1 thousandth, and 100% within 2 thousandths. Which exceeds my standards.

X2

Weldor

WKR
I use my old Lyman universal power trimmer. Once set up it stays. I keep a dummy case for each caliber, set it forget it.

TxLite

WKR
I hated my RCBS and bought a Henderson. It’s worked great so far but setup can be tedious when switching cartridges. Once it’s set up it’s quick and painless to do trim/debur/changer in one step, with consistent measurements

sdupontjr

WKR
I’ve had a RCBS and Forester on the bench, but the one that gets used is the weird little Lee trimmer. The pilot sets the trim length, so it’s exactly the same today, tomorrow, 5 years from now, when I’m tired, in front of the tv, in good light or bad light. I don’t own anything else from Lee, and didn‘t buy it to save money, but years ago a gun writer suggested to just try it with one caliber and see what you think - I was hooked. If it was $100 per caliber I’d still use it, but luckily these things are dirt cheap and fit inside a die box for that caliber.

You can run it in a drill or just do it by hand. For lengths not available you can get a pilot for a longer cartridge and grind it to the length you want. I get a cutter for every pilot and a lock stud for every shell holder so there’s no having to take anything apart.

It’s not for everyone, but it simplifies life a little bit and trims to the exact same length every time.View attachment 650480
^^^^^ This, and yes, trims the same length every time.

Axlrod

WKR
I use the Forster power in my drill press with their 3-way cutters ( they are caliber specific). It is accurate, and i can do 600 rounds in an hour. Trimmed and deburred inside & out.
I also have the Forster manual lathe (Classic I think) that I use if I have under 50 cases to do. It uses all th esame pilots, trimmers, and collets as the power.

I'd not spend good $ on one that doesn't trim, deburr, and chamfer in one step. I have a giraud bench trimmer that is awesome. The henderson looks to maybe be a step up from it. I also have a forster that can use the power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutters that is a more economical option.

So i'd say:
1a - Henderson
1b - Giraud bench trimmer
3 - forster with 3 way cutters and power adapter
27 - anything that requires separate steps for chamfer/deburr.
Couldn’t agree with this more!

Lawnboi

WKR
What exactly don’t you like about the current trimmer?

I don’t want it if it can’t do all three (trim, chamfer, debur) all in one step.

If I have to crank a handle I also want nothing to do with it. Spent many a days cranking away on an LE Wilson trimmer.