Scouting a new area this year?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Boots on the ground is most important IMO will show you what roads and trails are go-no go, sometimes e-scouting can lead you astray. That said I don’t have an elk tag yet, so I’ll be hunting for a tag, I know several units pretty well so I’ll go for one of those. I have a few spots I might go scout just cause I like to continually open up my knowledge base, this is for my home state though

Squid

FNG
Pulled a Limited Wyoming elk tag on the random draw. Never been to the unit, was expecting it would take a little longer to draw :ROFLMAO:. Lots of e-scouting and a trip planned in July to learn the area and maybe find some elk. OnX has the Terrain X feature that has been very helpful. If you haven't tired the Viewshed option it is very helpful to find glassing spots. As well as some ungulate studies in the area. Second year of elk hunting, planning to spend most of September in Wyoming.

Already have cameras hanging for a new area, put more boots on the ground closer to season mid to late August.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to a new one this fall. E-scouted a ton, and just got back from scouting it. Looking for last year's rut sign, not to find specific spots, but to learn what features, elevations, cover types, etc... this particular herd keys into. Careful to back out if theres any fresh sign and leave the cows alone.

wapitibob

WKR
Almost every spot I've hunted out of state I've found from my recliner. AZ Elk was done a cpl months ago. WY Pronghorn done last week

DoubleA

FNG
I drew a great unit about 90min from my house. I started with a broad e-scouting overview, circling big areas (mainly watersheds) that I label as zone 1, 2, 3, etc. Then I zoom in and ID key features in each zone - access, bedding, water, etc. I'm now in the process of spending a full scouting day in each of the zones I identified. As I rule any out, I'll spend more days in ones that seem the most promising. I've already started boots on the ground in the parts of the unit that are accessible. Two zones scouted so far, and found elk in both!

If I don’t have a chance to check an area out before hand It usually takes around 3 days to get an idea of things seems like. Sometimes I get lucky and get on critters right away, sometimes not
I drew a great unit about 90min from my house. I started with a broad e-scouting overview, circling big areas (mainly watersheds) that I label as zone 1, 2, 3, etc. Then I zoom in and ID key features in each zone - access, bedding, water, etc. I'm now in the process of spending a full scouting day in each of the zones I identified. As I rule any out, I'll spend more days in ones that seem the most promising. I've already started boots on the ground in the parts of the unit that are accessible. Two zones scouted so far, and found elk in both!
Well there you have it, e-scouting works!

Carr5vols

WKR
YouTube scouting...I found a kid uploading his dad's trail cam videos in an area where the public land gets within 100 yds of the camera...a barn in one of the videos gave it away. It's amazing the animals they are uploading to youtube in this video...

Jaquomo

WKR
Like Mike Tyson said, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

You can scout until your brain hurts, but you really won't know what to do until you arrive and figure things out with all the other hunters on the ground on day one.

poboy2214

FNG
Drew a unit that’s six hours away from my house. I’ve been escouting, then later in the summer I’ll take a weekend trip to verify access points, check forest service road conditions, and verify that what I have marked for glassing spots are actually good locations. My hunt isn’t until November so I don’t know that hiking around is going to be the best use of my time. I’ve got young kids and this is the first time I’ve been able to make a scouting trip so I really want to make the most of the little time that I have.

Smfigari

FNG
I am hunting the opposite side of the country for where I live so needless to say, I will be limited to e-scouting.

Pretty tough to do much other than escouting coming from out of state. If I lived within 5 hours of the unit I was hunting, would definitely put boots on the ground. Even with e scouting only we have been able to get on Elk each year.

First elk hunt, out of state so I’ll be mostly e-scouting. Thankfully, I have a weekend in August my wife will be at the in-laws with the kiddos. I’ll be buying an early flight with miles, renting a jeep from Turo and getting as much scouting in as possible over 36 hours

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We’ve already taken two trips up to an area we haven’t hunted elk in yet. Boots on the ground and escouting aren’t even comparable at all honestly.

We will scout it twice per month until the hunt begins in late November.

Mcribs

Lil-Rokslider
I ID spots online, hang cameras and check out movement. Even though they won’t be there during season, I like to see the patterns.

It’s cool to find spots and get validated.

I have all I need in my unit, elk close to roads. Elk far from roads, elk here, and there. Elk just don't crank me up, I just like to eat them. If this NR limiting thingy goes through, it might even get better. Sadly, I just don't need or feel like scouting for elk. I stumble on them enough with all the other species tags I've drawn so really no need to go looking. I kind of like it that way. I just pack up in September, head to the unit, and adjust fire depending on who's there, and where. After 24 years of hunting them, I learned something last year about my unit that makes it even better.

Good luck to all those enduring those summer scorcher scouting trips. I don't miss them.

Drew Valle Vidal in northern NM, But it’s going to be hard to get down there. My daughter also drew RMBH in Idaho so I think more of my scouting will be dedicated to that.

So, e-scouting and local knowledge down there will be the fall-back!

CBJR03

FNG
Classified Approved
E Scouting this year. Definitely good to be friendly with the locals if passing by or filling up the truck at a gas station.