Scope weight

SloppyJ

WKR
I will say that while I don't have to worry about the reliability of my NX8... I was greatly surprised at how heavy it feels even on top of an 8lb rifle. So 28oz is too much.

No, I dont find it ironic at all actually, because Im not talking about the actual scope discussion. I enjoy the minutia, and I appreciate durable equipment having had the usual suspects lose zero multiple times myself, and now having other scopes NOT lose zero. A guy asks a question about weight (I dont particularly notice a difference in balance and handling with scopes having weights between 11oz and 28oz even on a really light rifle, so my scopes I tend to not quibble over a couple ounces and err on the side of durability having had problems with that…you can find lotsof info on that here that matches my personal experience ), and all of a sudden here’s the same old put-downs, questioning of others experiences and even moral character.
The point is that I DO enjoy the question and answers, that’s WHY the same old thing gets old, and why it’s worth the “somewhat lengthy diatribe”. Its not that hard to say the same thing without going around and around on it. It’s not the scope discussion, its the laughing emojies directed at one persons experience that results in comments about why certain people are allowed to vote, etc. yawn and deja vu all at the same time. Not why Im here, and I know for a fact Im not alone.
Thanks for the explanation. I get what you're staying. At first read through I found some humor in what I interpreted to be the oxymoronic nature of your initial post, but I fully understand where you're at with wanting the discussion to be centered on the subject matter, not on bruised egos and hurt feelings when someone doesn't want to hear a bad report on their pet scope brand, etc, etc.

For my part, I used to be brand loyal, but I found the folly in that approach the hard way. Like you, I like to read about the facts and, if the report is more experiential or anecdotal, I don't mind the context required to substantiate an observation.

SDHNTR

WKR
I will say that while I don't have to worry about the reliability of my NX8... I was greatly surprised at how heavy it feels even on top of an 8lb rifle. So 28oz is too much.
I have a couple 30 oz NXS on 6.5-7lb rifles and imo it makes them more shooter friendly. Those rifles need a lil weight.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a couple 30 oz NXS on 6.5-7lb rifles and imo it makes them more shooter friendly. Those rifles need a lil weight.

I think it's all about how you're going to use it. My NX8 is on my deer rifle and I hunt a lot of private property so I don't have a huge trek to get to my stands. I enjoy the scope and think it's great but I'm reminded of how heavy it is every time I reach over on the bench to grab it and pick it up with one hand. If you're building an ultimate backcountry pack rifle I would skip the NF on that build.

SDHNTR

WKR
I think it's all about how you're going to use it. My NX8 is on my deer rifle and I hunt a lot of private property so I don't have a huge trek to get to my stands. I enjoy the scope and think it's great but I'm reminded of how heavy it is every time I reach over on the bench to grab it and pick it up with one hand. If you're building an ultimate backcountry pack rifle I would skip the NF on that build.
My ultimate backcountry pack rifle wears an NXS 2.5-10x42.

madcalfe

WKR
id have to disagree with you on your last part.
I solely hunt backcountry on foot and hunt stone sheep all of august and i use a nightforce ATACR 4-14x42.
i wouldn't trade the durability and me knowing my scopes good to go to save 10-15 oz

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, you can get reliability in a lightweight scope, I have several.
This is what I was thinking? They make super reliable lightweight scopes from basically any company now day. I have a friend who put a super heavy scope on pertaining to that exact statement of "heavier is better" and is currently switching it out this year after humping 20 miles in the backcountry with a 10 pound set up. I think people are really talking just to talk about the whole balancing thing. Go with what feels good.

madcalfe

WKR
I hunt in the mountains in the west with horses and backpacks, I use high end Leupold's and after dropping them, horses stepping on them, weather of all types and hunting in every situation, I've never had one come off zero after I zeroed it before I left. Reliability comes from actually hunting in the mountains. Most guys don't have a clue about scopes and over scope their rifles. And all of them weigh less than 16oz.
by saying " I've never had one come off zero after I zeroed it before I left" do you zero it before every use.....?
I don't have a hate on for Leopolds they once were great scopes back in the day. I've had my fair share of VX5's fail.
This is what I was thinking? They make super reliable lightweight scopes from basically any company now day. I have a friend who put a super heavy scope on pertaining to that exact statement of "heavier is better" and is currently switching it out this year after humping 20 miles in the backcountry with a 10 pound set up. I think people are really talking just to talk about the whole balancing thing. Go with what feels good.
heavier isn't better. scopes that are reliable are better.
ill agree its noticeable when carry a scope say 15oz to 32oz.
but at the end of the day when you line up on say a sheep and your 15oz scope is randomly shooting
1ft high and 1ft to the left/right cause its been bumped when your hiking up a chute and it didn't hold zero,
those extra 13oz doesn't sound bad does it.

Last edited:
OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Just had a good friend shear #8 screw off his remington with a heavy scope 35 oz. Front screw was sheared clean. he noticed a shift in zero when dialing, that's how he found it. FYI.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just had a good friend shear #8 screw off his remington with a heavy scope 35 oz. Front screw was sheared clean. he noticed a shift in zero when dialing, that's how he found it. FYI.
On a rail? Bedded?

SDHNTR

WKR
Remmys also don’t come with #8 screws. 6# rather.

bmart2622

WKR
Im aware of that, there was a post made that made it sound like the you were mistaken saying a #8 screw broke, I was saying that its possible for a Remington to have #8 screws