Scope weight

jimh406

WKR
I think it all depends on how light you want to keep the combination, what caliber you are planning to use, and what power you think you need to shoot the distances you want to shoot. There is a significant difference in weight between a 1 inch low multiplier scope with one piece rings vs a 30 mm high multiplier scope with a rail and steel rings. Don't underestimate the weight difference in how you mount the scope.

On my 300 WSM, I went with a rail and high multiplier which pushed my approximately 6 lb rifle to two lbs. I felt like the added strength, 30mm tube and high multiplier Leupold 3-15 5HD Firedot was worth the extra weigh for a 300 magnum. That combination is still a lb lighter than my 300 WBY with lighter scope.

You should figure out how much power you think you need for your projected shooting distances and go from there. One more thought, based on reading that people are breaking one piece rings here, and Leupold doesn't seem to recommend one piece rings for 300 magnums either, I wouldn't go with an extremely lightweight combination on a hard kicking 300 magnum and one piece rings. YMMV.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
I get it, not necessarily looking for ultralight weight. Balance is what I'm looking for . I have 2 6.5 prc's one is 5.6 lbs naked and the other is 7.2 lbs. . Also have the new Savage ultralight predator 308 6.4 lbs. 2-10 or 4-14-16 maybe. I have had good luck with Zeiss about 18 oz. Repeatability is good. Don't mind humping a 9 lb. rifle but would prefer not to. LOL. Anybody used the Burris Signature HD scope? they look pretty decent. I have been looking at the NF SHV .

bmart2622

WKR
I hunt in the mountains in the west with horses and backpacks, I use high end Leupold's and after dropping them, horses stepping on them, weather of all types and hunting in every situation, I've never had one come off zero after I zeroed it before I left. Reliability comes from actually hunting in the mountains. Most guys don't have a clue about scopes and over scope their rifles. And all of them weigh less than 16oz.
I highly doubt your ULW scope would survive a horse stepping on it, with that said, I hunt 100s of miles every year with horses and never had a horse step on a rilfe either. Lightweight is not always the best option

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
My newest rifle is slightly under 6 pounds. I went with a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42. I believe it’s like 20.5 ounces. I didn’t want to have any nagging doubt in the back of my head about reliability especially since I’m dialing it. I am happy with the choice and have shot the 10 power to 700 yards, which is all I have access to.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well it depends. From a weight perspective, lighter is better.

However, from a functional perspective, scopes in the 18 to 24 ounce range are what fit the bill. Night Force NXS 2.5-10x42, Night Force SHV 3-10x42, SWFA 3-9x42, S&B Klassik 3-12x42, Trijicon Credo 2-10x36, Etc. It really comes down to what do you want the scope to do.

Balance is fine on my 5.5 pound Kimber with a 24 ounce of scope/rings/rail on top feels fine. Same for my 5.1 pound 22lr.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I highly doubt your ULW scope would survive a horse stepping on it, with that said, I hunt 100s of miles every year with horses and never had a horse step on a rilfe either. Lightweight is not always the best option
Believe what you want, most people do.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
My choice was the NF 2.5-10x42 (C461) at around 20oz. I have it mounted on a 5.5lb Barrett Fieldcraft. The whole rifle and scope/mount combo comes in at 7.25Lbs

The rifle is easy to carry, easy to shoot, and it balances well.

I think anywhere around 25 oz is just fine. I have a 27 oz scope on my 6 lb rifle and it feels and carry’s well.

madcalfe

WKR
buy whatever you desire.
i hunt stone sheep every year usually more than once.
i ran a kahles k318i for 2 years (33oz scope) on a custom 5lb 2oz 300wsm
it was a little top heavy but never bothered me.
now my gun currently has a ATACR 4-16x42 (30oz scope) due to sending the kahles in for warranty.
ill take durability over lightweight for my scope.