Scope weight

Weldor

WKR
What is the optimal rifle scope weight for a 6 lb. rifle? I can't seem to find a happy medium. Is 12 oz. to light or is 28 oz to heavy? Basically 500-600 yard hunting rifle. Thanks in advance.

There is no optimal scope weight because there is no one optimal rifle weight, or any weight for any gear, for all people. Get what you are comfortable with.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
In a 6lb. rifle I wouldn't go over 16oz. There are many scope manufactures that offer whatever you're looking for in a scope that weighs less than 16oz. Lighter is always better if you plan to use your tool for anywhere IMO.

wyosteve

WKR
For me, 28 oz. is too heavy. A lot depends on what magnification you feel you need. On one rifle I use a 2.5-8 Leupold at 11 oz. I believe. and on another a 3-15 Leupold at 19 oz.

Hagas4all

FNG
I read once rule of thumb is 15% of rifle weight which would be 15oz on a 6lb rifle. I have found that to be fairly accurate for balance. That said ideal is a scope that works, and those don’t start until the 20oz range.

SDHNTR

WKR
In a 6lb. rifle I wouldn't go over 16oz. There are many scope manufactures that offer whatever you're looking for in a scope that weighs less than 16oz. Lighter is always better if you plan to use your tool for anywhere IMO.
This is not good advice.

Buy a reliable scope first and foremost. Those aren’t light, unfortunately, but reliability is far more important than a few more ounces.

Last edited:

JCMCUBIC

WKR
My preference for optical weight for light rifles is light as possible...while still reliable.

My experience on the lightest possible if I'm dialing has been ~19-20 oz with a PMII 6x42, SWFA 3-9x42, SWFA 6x42, and NF NXS 2.5-10.

If not dialing, the S&B 6x42 Klassic is ~16 oz's.

Dennis

WKR
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 X 44 with ballistic turrets on two of my rifles. They seem to balance light rifles well with great glass and 4W reticle and under 16 oz it memory serves. They have been reliable for years. I also like the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 X 42 for slightly heavier rifles.

Interesting, you can get reliability in a lightweight scope, I have several.
How do you define reliability? When you travel to hunt, do you sight in your rifke when you arrive to your location, or close to your hunt location? Have you done a ladder test? Have you ever dropped your rifle? If so, did you sight it in after the drop?

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
How do you define reliability? When you travel to hunt, do you sight in your rifke when you arrive to your location, or close to your hunt location? Have you done a ladder test? Have you ever dropped your rifle? If so, did you sight it in after the drop?
I hunt in the mountains in the west with horses and backpacks, I use high end Leupold's and after dropping them, horses stepping on them, weather of all types and hunting in every situation, I've never had one come off zero after I zeroed it before I left. Reliability comes from actually hunting in the mountains. Most guys don't have a clue about scopes and over scope their rifles. And all of them weigh less than 16oz.

I hunt in the mountains in the west with horses and backpacks, I use high end Leupold's and after dropping them, horses stepping on them, weather of all types and hunting in every situation, I've never had one come off zero after I zeroed it before I left. Reliability comes from actually hunting in the mountains. Most guys don't have a clue about scopes and over scope their rifles. And all of them weigh less than 16oz.
Okay, lets see some good pictures of those used out west scopes that shows some of that use.

I have a leupold that literally came apart form use out west. At that point, it became a point and shoot rifle; way beyond unethical for me.

I'd say 19-20 ounces; that's how much the lightest scopes that haven't yet given me trouble weigh.

I think the whole scope-weight-as-a-deciding-factor is taken too far by a lot of shooters and hunters. Any max weight one might impose is completely arbitrary and, further, not all that impactful in the context of actual use. Will schlepping an extra 5-6 ounces of scope really keep anyone who is in decent shape from going the extra mile from their truck or climbing the extra hill?

Last edited:

Is that you, John Burns?

SDHNTR

WKR
Predictable. Thanks for the chuckle.