Scope Field Eval Explanation and Standards

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been thats the problem one says this other says that ive read every scope eval you have done.. Im just trying to narrow it down for my .300prc

I mean search my posts or SWFA posts in general.

The SWFA 3-9x and 5-20x scope are in general very reliable, durable, have a very usable reticle, and work correctly.

mi650

WKR
I recently had a large order from them show up. As I was unpacking it, I got to thinking about why they're running such a big sale when demand seems as high as or higher than ever; a lot of their offerings have been on perpetual back order for seemingly years now. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps some lines will be discontinued and/or a major redesign is coming?

I've been buying them for a long time and now have a significant number. I suppose now that I have so many, they'll finally offer models with capped windage and low profile, locking elevation.
I don't know, but this would be my guess.

bluumoon

WKR
I have been thats the problem one says this other says that ive read every scope eval you have done.. Im just trying to narrow it down for my .300prc
The SWFA 5-20 is on sale for like $750 right now. I'm partial to the reticle, so I chose it over the NF SHV F1 for about the same price.

The SWFA 5-20 is on sale for like $750 right now. I'm partial to the reticle, so I chose it over the NF SHV F1 for about the same price.
I was looking into if it's really worth spending the big money on a NF ATACR with the Mil R reticle. I like that reticle the most i think. I don't plan on dropping my rifle or scope but as Forum had said these things just happen in rough country.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was looking into if it's really worth spending the big money on a NF ATACR with the Mil R reticle. I like that reticle the most i think. I don't plan on dropping my rifle or scope but as Forum had said these things just happen in rough country.

The issue with NF reticles is that on low power, broken terrain they are not very visible. The SWFA MQ reticle is useable from low to high power. If closer range sub 300’ish yard use is not a factor at all, the the 4-16x42mm ATACR with Mil-C is fantastic.

The issue with NF reticles is that on low power, broken terrain they are not very visible. The SWFA MQ reticle is useable from low to high power. If closer range sub 300’ish yard use is not a factor at all, the the 4-16x42mm ATACR with Mil-C is fantastic.
So, it would be comfortable to say that other than the small reticle being the problem that it's a good choice. I just looked into SWFA and its not really that appealing to me I don't know why but something about them doesn't really do it for me. Maybe it's because I have never gotten behind one or something I'm not sure.

So, it would be comfortable to say that other than the small reticle being the problem that it's a good choice. I just looked into SWFA and its not really that appealing to me I don't know why but something about them doesn't really do it for me. Maybe it's because I have never gotten behind one or something I'm not sure.
The beauty in SWFA scopes is generally most revealed after a lot of use. In addition to being very solid, the reticles are great for hunting.

I've heard some say that they aren't aesthetically appealing, but, for their intended use, who cares? The beauty is in POI corresponding to POA.

Try one. If you don't care for it, they are easy to turn.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Does the SWFA 5-20 HD have the same record of reliability as other SWFA’s? The deal they’re running right now has me tempted since they used to go for more than that used.

BBob

WKR
Does the SWFA 5-20 HD have the same record of reliability as other SWFA’s? The deal they’re running right now has me tempted since they used to go for more than that used.

The SWFA 3-9x and 5-20x scope are in general very reliable, durable, have a very usable reticle, and work correctly.

bluumoon

WKR
^ This.

And @Frank Dux: know that some well-respected long-range shooting instructors use the SWFA 5-20s as backup scopes for when some $2000-$3000 scopes go down during class. That should tell you something.
Curious why well respected instructors would use 2-3k scopes that “go down”. What scopes are going down and how?

BBob

WKR
Curious why well respected instructors would use 2-3k scopes that “go down”. What scopes are going down and how?
It’s not the instructors scopes that go down it’s the students scopes that sometimes do. The instructors keep known good spares on hand so they can keep the student and the class moving along.

bluumoon

WKR
It’s not the instructors scopes that go down it’s the students scopes that sometimes do. The instructors keep known good spares on hand so they can keep the student and the class moving along.
Im dumb, that makes sense.

Dobermann

WKR
While others have clarified that it's students' scopes going down, if you do a little digging here and on the Hide. you'll find out which ones ... they tend to start with A, L, and V, if that's helpful ... :)

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider

Does the 10x HD belong in the same category? I just couldn’t pass it up at this price…

John