Scope Field Eval Explanation and Standards

jonandy

FNG
Form, have you done testing on very many older scopes? Just wondering if scopes have always been so unreliable or if they are actually getting worse due to lack of actually testing/QC, and maybe designing to fit all the bells and whistles. Or maybe they are improving compared to older models. Just curious on your Evals on older models vs newer models? Thanks!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, have you done testing on very many older scopes? Just wondering if scopes have always been so unreliable or if they are actually getting worse due to lack of actually testing/QC, and maybe designing to fit all the bells and whistles. Or maybe they are improving compared to older models. Just curious on your Evals on older models vs newer models? Thanks!

Not too many as it is laid out here. Have used tons of older scopes. Some were better, some were similar. In general, some older scopes might not have taken the big drops, but they generally held zero from normal use. Examples of ones that once sighted in generally held zero through average/normal use are steel tubes Weaver K4 and K6’s, older (early 90’s and older) Leupold fixed 4x and 6x scopes. There was a couple scopes that were just tubes: glass, and a reticle- with adjustments in the mounts. Those held zero very well.

jonandy

FNG
Thanks! I’m sure I’m like most others here, I’m continually doubting my scopes at this point. I will be paying careful attention anytime I find one not holding zero. Really appreciate all the great info!

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

New shooter here! Been all over the internet and these forums for a few weeks trying to pick out a new scope. The information provided in these tests is incredible so thank you for taking the time to put it up here.

I’m sorry if I missed it, but is there a list of recommended scopes? Seems almost every eval is either a fail or hasn’t completed testing. The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP looks like a good option so far though.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Hello,

New shooter here! Been all over the internet and these forums for a few weeks trying to pick out a new scope. The information provided in these tests is incredible so thank you for taking the time to put it up here.

I’m sorry if I missed it, but is there a list of recommended scopes? Seems almost every eval is either a fail or hasn’t completed testing. The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP looks like a good option so far though.

SWFA
Nighforce

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
TY, any specific recommendations in those brands or are all the FFP options good to go?

ID_Matt

WKR
TY, any specific recommendations in those brands or are all the FFP options good to go?
Trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 - good all around longer range hunting optic.

Anything nightforce is going to be super reliable. Just depends on what you prefer. What they lack is a good reticle for hunting, most get pretty thin at low power. NXS 2-10 compact is a good dedicated hunting optic, although sfp. NX8 4-32 bridges the gap between competition and hunting for me, but is awful thin for some who might expect close up shots on low power.

SWFA seems to be the no frills, guaranteed to work option. 3-9's are extremely popular and the 15x for guys who want more mag.

BBob

WKR
Any reason these SWFAs are being discounted so heavily right now?
They want your $$$ :)
Who knows the real reason. I’d bet they had a bunch of orders in that were slowed by the supply chain issues and those orders are rolling in fast and they want to sell and profit ASAP and get the cash flow back up.

I have two questions Forum...

1.. If you had to stick to a budget of 1,200$ and under for a riflescope that would be used for western long ranged hunt what would your pick be for Reliability and durability??

2.. If your budget was 3,000$ and under what would be your pick for a riflescope that would be Reliable and Durable enough for those hunts??

I only ask these questions because in today's economy it's tough to save up enough money for expensive optics with regular life battles going on, however you do get what you pay for!

Thank you for all your hard work with these Evals!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have two questions Forum...

1.. If you had to stick to a budget of 1,200$ and under for a riflescope that would be used for western long ranged hunt what would your pick be for Reliability and durability??

2.. If your budget was 3,000$ and under what would be your pick for a riflescope that would be Reliable and Durable enough for those hunts??

I only ask these questions because in today's economy it's tough to save up enough money for expensive optics with regular life battles going on, however you do get what you pay for!

Thank you for all your hard work with these Evals!

Define long range?

They want your $$$ :)
Who knows the real reason. I’d bet they had a bunch of orders in that were slowed by the supply chain issues and those orders are rolling in fast and they want to sell and profit ASAP and get the cash flow back up.

I recently had a large order from them show up. As I was unpacking it, I got to thinking about why they're running such a big sale when demand seems as high as or higher than ever; a lot of their offerings have been on perpetual back order for seemingly years now. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps some lines will be discontinued and/or a major redesign is coming?

I've been buying them for a long time and now have a significant number. I suppose now that I have so many, they'll finally offer models with capped windage and low profile, locking elevation.

ljalberta

WKR
I recently had a large order from them show up. As I was unpacking it, I got to thinking about why they're running such a big sale when demand seems as high as or higher than ever; a lot of their offerings have been on perpetual back order for seemingly years now. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps some lines will be discontinued and/or a major redesign is coming?

I've been buying them for a long time and now have a significant number. I suppose now that I have so many, they'll finally offer models with capped windage and low profile, locking elevation.
There is a rumour of updated scopes coming down the pipeline from some who are allegedly in the know. I have seen no details as to what these supposed updates are though.