Scope adjustment lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshfly

WKR
If you can’t hold a rifle steady on sandbags long enough to twist some turrets, it might be time to phone a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
Shouldn't I fire 10 shots to get a grouping first?
Sure you can look down the bolt, but what is wrong with laser? If I feel like spending money?

I set it up in my house first. trying to lock a gun down outdoors, is not always the easiest. On that same idea, I same locking it down, shooting, and adjusting.

I've also just kneeled at 20 yards, from huge cardboard, and made gross adjustments to get close, when changing on the fly.

Zerk. Seriously. I used to be just like you. I thought I knew how to do it and just chased my tail around two shots at a time. It just doesn’t work. It took me 40 years to figure that out.

Then I learned how to really sight a rifle in. Go to the range. Start from scratch with the instructions I wrote. Ignore everything you “know” and just do the steps. See where that gets you and how confident you are in the zero you have after.

This rifle is not going on the trip. I would not risk something physically happening to it, or some ahole DNR siezing it for stupid rule infraction.

I can't get past this one.

You really worried about your firearm getting seized for infractions?
Just what do you plan to do?

Sounds premeditated.

Can we get back to whether or not the hat brim is flat or curved? I think the hat may be the reason the rectile overheats after the first two shots are touching, but only on weekdays.

just a guess

photo.jpg

OP
Zerk

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Then I learned how to really sight a rifle in. Go to the range. Start from scratch with the instructions I wrote. Ignore everything you “know” and just do the steps. See where that gets you and how confident you are in the zero you have after.
the rifle is already on paper, what would the point be in looking down the barrel? And maybe looking down the barrell is better. But again, if you use laser, and are on paper, is really that big of deal?

I like setting it up in my basement. I tried looking through barrel and scope and basement, and I couldn't see through that tiny hole. Maybe your eyes are a lot better than mine,

But again once you are on paper, does it really matter?

I do agree you need many shots to make an adjustment. But I don't think it hurts making crudes ones as long as you have some kind of grouping. i was 14" with 2 shots side by side, so I adjusted. At that point I should have done 10 shots.

My best results have always been with cold barrels. Not like this is alien topic I made up. I realize better the gun, less likely this is to be needed. But if you are firing 10 shots, you are grouping with a hot barrel,

Hot barrell groups are good for people who shoot hot rifles. I shoot one shot when hunting. I want to know the dead cold zero.

The messa seems to move a bit as it heats up, some I suspect. I have done large groups, over days, and had better results with slow shots. Maybe I just shoot better relaxed, Take some dry shots, and then shoot.

But again once it is on paper, does it really matter how you got there? You can shoot offhand or from a knee at 20 yards and get close

OP
Zerk

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Probably depends if it's a Vortex or Leupold hat.

They tend to interact with Trijicon.
Gotta be matchy matchy.
Depends on the truck. SEL hat last couple days. Keeps mosquitos off my head.

You want to try your skills, shoot during the June hatch, while they are bumping into you.

Marshfly

WKR
the rifle is already on paper, what would the point be in looking down the barrel? And maybe looking down the barrell is better. But again, if you use laser, and are on paper, is really that big of deal?

I like setting it up in my basement. I tried looking through barrel and scope and basement, and I couldn't see through that tiny hole. Maybe your eyes are a lot better than mine,

But again once you are on paper, does it really matter?

I do agree you need many shots to make an adjustment. But I don't think it hurts making crudes ones as long as you have some kind of grouping. i was 14" with 2 shots side by side, so I adjusted. At that point I should have done 10 shots.

My best results have always been with cold barrels. Not like this is alien topic I made up. I realize better the gun, less likely this is to be needed. But if you are firing 10 shots, you are grouping with a hot barrel,

Hot barrell groups are good for people who shoot hot rifles. I shoot one shot when hunting. I want to know the dead cold zero.

The messa seems to move a bit as it heats up, some I suspect. I have done large groups, over days, and had better results with slow shots. Maybe I just shoot better relaxed, Take some dry shots, and then shoot.

But again once it is on paper, does it really matter how you got there? You can shoot offhand or from a knee at 20 yards and get close

Look man. You’re the one with the gun that’s not zeroed and multiple trips to the range. This is ridiculous.

Do whatever you want. My rifles are zeroed in less than a box and 20 minutes. All of them.

OP
Zerk

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Look man. You’re the one with the gun that’s not zeroed and multiple trips to the range. This is ridiculous.

Do whatever you want. My rifles are zeroed in less than a box and 20 minutes. All of them.

Do you really think that is because I used a laser????

You don't think there is more than one way to get it on paper???? Does it really mater? Your attitude ,makes you hard to listen to.

I also don't want to be moving a bench around from 25 to 100. If the first shot is not showing up at 100, I will move to 25.

I did just look down the barrel of 18" 45-70, that I could see. 24" 30 cal I couldn't.

It is the mesa in 300 win mag, 3x9 credo, medium rings. Leupold rail Tq wrenched

I know what you mean about adjusting, I done now. But the first two were next two other.

Yeah those first two next to each other are nice but that doesn't show what your gun and ammo are actually shooting. Everyone would like for their rifle to stack rounds on top of each other like a .22 at 50yds but the truth is the majority of centerfire "deer" rifles out there are not capable of one ragged hole with a 10-30 shot group.

Your mesa might just be a 2-3" group gun with certain ammo or loads.
Probably going to start some 💩 here by saying this but I know of two Christensen Arms Mesa's, one in .308 and one in .338 that would not shoot anything under 2" with several factory loads. They got traded off quick. Nice guns but wouldn't group great.

If your credo is mounted properly and everything degreased and torque, that part of your system should be solid. Your rifle could just be showing its true colors as a not as accurate as you desire rifle.

But for the love, start from the start and follow marshfly's advice and take a box of premium factory ammo and follow those steps.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I don't even know at this point. Just wow.

Is OP still working with a 2-shot 25m zero? signal-2023-10-04-18-40-40-437.gif

OP
Zerk

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Y

But for the love, start from the start and follow marshfly's advice and take a box of premium factory ammo and follow those steps.
I just find him an obnoxius ### that is hard to listen to. Not disagreeing he is a better rifleman than me. But he is a _______. Using a laser at my house is not some alien concept. No need to pout and get upset because I didn't look down barrel. The mater at hand is now it is on paper and close enough to start grouping.

It doesn't have to be his way, or you are an idiot.

I have wondered what rifle is capable of. I wish I had some to shoot it. I think its probably me. But sometimes if just seems it is not.

Marshfly

WKR
I just find him an obnoxius ### that is hard to listen to. Not disagreeing he is a better rifleman than me. But he is a _______. Using a laser at my house is not some alien concept. No need to pout and get upset because I didn't look down barrel. The mater at hand is now it is on paper and close enough to start grouping.

I have wondered what rifle is capable of. I wish I had some to shoot it. I think its probably me. But sometimes if just seems it is not.

Dude. I’m not being an ass. I’m being direct. Quit being so stubborn.

You are literally refusing to take advice after almost 500 posts in this thread. And you are nowhere closer to a reliable, ethical rifle than you were when you started.

Step outside of your beliefs and take a totally new look at this. I have solid advice that will certainly result in a zeroed rifle in the least amount of time possible. And you want to argue about a laser.

My advice to start from scratch is to get you on the correct page from the start, both mechanically and mentally.

This thread is worse than useless. Total waste of time for everyone involved.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

On my caribou hunt this year, I broke the stock on the rifle I was going to bring. Had a new Tikka 308. I bonded the rail. Set the scope reticle to center using a mirror. Adjusted elevation to account for the 20 MOA rail. Threw the rifle and 60 round of ammo in the truck and headed north. Hiked out of the 5 mile no gun corridor with a pizza box lid folded up and strapped to my pack. Fired the rife for the first time ever once in the hunting area, used 28 rounds shooting from a sitting position off my pack (could not see the target prone). The next day I put a single round through a caribou at more than 50 yards but close enough I did not range. Then the hunt was over and the work began.

You are correct, it should in no way be this difficult. I'm not even a good shot. Quality equipment certainly helps though.

Marshfly

WKR
On my caribou hunt this year, I broke the stock on the rifle I was going to bring. Had a new Tikka 308. I bonded the rail. Set the scope reticle to center using a mirror. Adjusted elevation to account for the 20 MOA rail. Threw the rifle and 60 round of ammo in the truck and headed north. Hiked out of the 5 mile no gun corridor with a pizza box lid folded up and strapped to my pack. Fired the rife for the first time ever once in the hunting area, used 28 rounds shooting from a sitting position off my pack (could not see the target prone). The next day I put a single round through a caribou at more than 50 yards but close enough I did not range. Then the hunt was over and the work began.

You are correct, it should in no way be this difficult. I'm not even a good shot. Quality equipment certainly helps though.

Quality equipment and a quality process.

The quality process is what is missing from the VAST majority of shooters. This isn’t hard. But it needs to be done the right way.

OP
Zerk

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Dude. I’m not being an ass. I’m being direct. Quit being so stubborn.

My advice to start from scratch is to get you on the correct page from the start, both mechanically and mentally.

This thread is worse than useless. Total waste of time for everyone involved.
Start from scratch? I got gun shooting near bull. Should I spin the dials, and look the bore?

Why I think you are an ____ is your insistance on your way is the only way to do things. I used a laser get *** over it.

I agree I need to shoot 10 shots. So other than shooting them fast like you, what exactly are we getting back to scratch on??

You are the one who is my way or the highway.

Ya after 2 shots, I adjusted it 14" and got it close. Should I have shot 10 shots 14" off???

Dude he is giving you solid advice and trying to help you out.

He and everyone else on here could just as easily tell you to go pound sand, ride some fingers, or eat excrement.
Instead this tread continues to be the most absolute train wreck that a lot of us can't quit watching and continue to put pennies on the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.