School me on Kestrel Units

LaHunter

WKR
I’m a little late here. Anyway I found this thread about a week ago searching for info on kestrel units. I’ve been using a weatherflow for years and was looking to upgrade.

Onto the actual question. I was at the range yesterday shooting for some below zero velocity data. Messing around this morning with some of that data. I pulled up my density altitude phone app and it’s calling for negative -1291 density altitude.

Will shooter or other apps actually calculate correctly with that input? Now naturally the answer is to go shoot and see. Unfortunately I’m on the side that has to work today…

I was completely convinced after reading this thread to make the switch to density altitude. I’ll screen shot my DA app numbers and also grab my typical temp, baro pressure (non corrected) and humidity for more messing around.
I’m not sure about the Shooter app, but Applied Ballistics will calculate correctly with an accurate DA value. The Kestrel 5700 units have AB as their software and DA is one of the environmental parameters that these units provides

I’m not sure about the Shooter app, but Applied Ballistics will calculate correctly with an accurate DA value. The Kestrel 5700 units have AB as their software and DA is one of the environmental parameters that these units provides
They all calculate with a density altitude. The question was about negative input. I find AB extremely hard to use without a meter linked to populate the inputs. Shooter is much friendlier is that respect and probably by design.

LaHunter

WKR
I don’t think it matters if the DA value is negative. Where I live, when the temp is in the low 30s I get a negative DA value on my Kestrel 5700 and the firing solution is always ‘spot on’ out to about 800 yards

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Onto the actual question. I was at the range yesterday shooting for some below zero velocity data. Messing around this morning with some of that data. I pulled up my density altitude phone app and it’s calling for negative -1291 density altitude.

Will shooter or other apps actually calculate correctly with that input? Now naturally the answer is to go shoot and see. Unfortunately I’m on the side that has to work today…

Yes. Without issue.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Density altitude where I am at is -3711 ft at the moment, so I'm in trouble if negatives don't work. (They do, I'm not worried). But, it does put my current 223 load dropping below 1800 fps at 330 yards.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What’s your speed? Seems off
16.5 inch barrel at 2537 fps. It is N135, so not the greatest powder for a 77 gr, but it is what I could get. Load is 0.5 gr below book max, so it could be loaded a touch hotter as well (load is already compressed, so case capacity more than pressure will be the limit I think). The barrel has less than 150 rounds through it, so may pick up a little speed. Based on VV load data, I should be able to get an additional 90 fps just by switching to N140 (which I now have), so have some playing to do.

Sig factory ammo with 77 gr OTM was 2376 fps.

Federal 5.56 62 gr Tactical Bonded was getting 2904 fps.

Shraggs

WKR
I just plugged in your data, I did get the same thing.

Clearly your in the single digits I bet and your lower elevation and DA is impacting here.

I plugged DA of 1500 and a temp of 35 degrees for the heck if it and you’re just over 400 yards. Assuming your elevation is 700-1000’. That should be realistic for deer season.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Using the “shooter app” I see that it will “link” with kestrel. My question is if I buy the “5000” model to get Wind, temp, and DA readings is the link/extra money spent necessary? With a none shooting/hunting model will it even communicate with the shooter app? Appreciate any experienced info before I pull the trigger and buy the unit. Thanks

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
I use the Kestrel 5700 with AB and love it. It can be a very useful tool. I agree though that it is a little spendy. I imagine in the next few years there will be more options and that will drive prices down.

Using the “shooter app” I see that it will “link” with kestrel. My question is if I buy the “5000” model to get Wind, temp, and DA readings is the link/extra money spent necessary? With a none shooting/hunting model will it even communicate with the shooter app? Appreciate any experienced info before I pull the trigger and buy the unit. Thanks
Encouraged by this thread, I'm picking up a local used 5500 hopefully end of this week with intent of testing this out. I'm using Shooter app and interested to see if Link on a non-5700 ballistic series works with it.

Shraggs

WKR
I purshased the plain 5700 without any of the software. I already use and am comfortable with shooter on my phone. No matter what I must have DA and temp and a wind meter which it does.

Primarily I use a RF bino and am now very comfortable with its solutions and don’t need any software except for backup. Mine does not account for wind so the kestrel still gives that info.

I have a custom screen that gives DA, temp and avg wind speed. Every couple of hours I update shooter in case bino dies.

If you don’t have a good system, I believe others talk very favorably if the units with AB software etc.

Two cent worth.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Figured I'd toss this tidbit in this kestrel thread, search didn't show up any quick mentions of it. But my kestrel has been busted for a while (bearing caps for the impeller fell out) and I tossed it to the side for a bit.

Was everyone else aware the impeller unit was just a press fit and there are replacements? I wasn't till today, sorta a head smack moment.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Figured I'd toss this tidbit in this kestrel thread, search didn't show up any quick mentions of it. But my kestrel has been busted for a while (bearing caps for the impeller fell out) and I tossed it to the side for a bit.

Was everyone else aware the impeller unit was just a press fit and there are replacements? I wasn't till today, sorta a head smack moment.
I was, but only because I read the very short manual that came with mine.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, I picked up a 5500 FW (Fire Weather) and a D3 DROP FW as a package deal. I've learned a few things that might help someone.

Get one with LINK, LINK adds $60 to the price, but the data cable to update firm wear is also $60, so with just buying one unit you probable will not save money in the long run getting one without LINK.

The Kestrel is rated to -14 F, this is due to the LCD screen, which starts becoming sluggish around 0 and will be blank around -14 F. If you have LINK, and keep your phone warm, the Kestrel still collects data (so long as the battery works) and you can read that data on your phone.

The Kestrel uses a AA battery. If you keep the unit warm, it takes a bit to give accurate data, particularly if there is not a wind.
-Alkaline batteries do not like being cold, I would say just don't use them.
-Lithium batteries are rated to -40, however they do not like being cold soaked. An hour at sub zero temps will result in a small loss of power (100% charge to 95% charge), but an overnight cold soak results in a very large loss of power (100% charge to 5% charge). One could pull the battery and put it in a pocket, then reinstall it when needed. But, who wants to pull gloves off to install a battery at -30?
-NiMH rechargeables (Eneloop) are rated to -40 and do not mind being cold soaked. So, in subzero weather, NiMH is the best battery choice.

D3 DROP
-The FW version is the only D3 that does not give density altitude.
-If you need readings at about 10 degree or lower, the DROP is a bad option. The coin cell battery in the drop does not stand up to cold. I hung it outside in below zero weather with a full battery, before the temperature senser had time to equilibrate the unit stopped logging.

Similarly, I've also ended up with a 5500 LINK model and D3 Drop thanks to this thread. Both I got used, and quite like the combo with DA supported on both, and visibility for data in the normal Kestrel LINK (non-ballistic) or Shooter. Will keep the Drop on backpack if not freezing because I also saw the battery diminish in minutes when < 20*.

Only two things I don't like about the Drop are the phone dependency and the amount of time it takes to reach a stabilized temp after rapid environment change. I had 60s frequency and it took a long time (10+ minutes) to get to a stabilized temp on first floor of home (58*) when moved from upstairs (70*). I guess if it's just always logging and not changing temps quickly it won't be an issue and aligns with the product's intent. But not something you should expect quick results from like I was initially.

I’ve been saving for a kestrel that will read DA, in the meantime I’ve been using an app on my phone. That’s working pretty well so now I’m wondering if a kestrel to read DA is even needed.
If I turn off WiFi and go in airplane mode the app will work but I need to adjust temperature and dew point. Already having a weather flow reader I can get those really accurate if that is needed but majority of the time I can slide those close enough.
I realize a lot of people don’t want to do something like that but with a $450 kestrel unit riding on the decision I’m thinking I can manage for awhile.

Anyone else think of a reason the phone couldn’t get you good enough data for DA?

I’ve been saving for a kestrel that will read DA, in the meantime I’ve been using an app on my phone. That’s working pretty well so now I’m wondering if a kestrel to read DA is even needed.
If I turn off WiFi and go in airplane mode the app will work but I need to adjust temperature and dew point. Already having a weather flow reader I can get those really accurate if that is needed but majority of the time I can slide those close enough.
I realize a lot of people don’t want to do something like that but with a $450 kestrel unit riding on the decision I’m thinking I can manage for awhile.

Anyone else think of a reason the phone couldn’t get you good enough data for DA?

I didn’t want to rely on my phone and needed a kestrel for wind luckily midway had a few of the 5000 on sale a few weeks back I think I picked it up for around 200 bucks it’s the cheapest one that will read da I didn’t need all the ab software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR

Guessing kestrel would be better DA data. But in reality for most sub 800yd shots if you are +\-500’ DA it shouldn’t impact too much.

I use kestrel for the ballistic solver plus the atmospherics. If all I wanted was DA I’d likely look elsewhere like you.