School me on Kestrel Units

nobody

WKR
Ok everybody, I've put this off long enough. Ready to invest in a Kestrel, but I have no idea what exactly to look for or what is a waste of money as far as features go. I use the Shooter App and Hornady 4DOF for myself as well as some family members, we shoot recreationally here locally in the mountains and have made impacts as far as 1400 yards (thought not first round impacts that far). That said, I've always manually input the info into my ballistic calculator from my weather app and utilized the "weather station" fetch option on my phone in Shooter to get info from the closest weather station. I'm proficient to 600 from prone and seated positions in my practice, but I shoot largely in the same locations over and over, so I know the confidence is partially false because of that. I want to be able to pull data real time from my exact location in an effort to further improve and be able to shoot in more spots where I can't necessarily use the "weather station" fetch info and have it be accurate.

So that said, what am I looking for? I see I can pick up the 2700 model for about $200, and it will hold my ballistic data onboard to give me real time solutions on the Kestrel unit itself to 875. Otherwise it will just feed the atmospherics to my phone and app so I can calculate further distances myself, correct?

From there, it looks like I jump to the 5700 units that range from $450-$900. What do those units get me that the 2700 doesn't?

I guess the real question, what tier do I need to reach to be able to accurately pull atmospheric info needed to feed my ballistic app correctly?

ID_Matt

WKR
Jumping up to the 5700 will get you the applied ballistics (or 4dof) built in to your unit so you can take the phone out of the equation and have a stand alone unit that does everything out to as far as you want to shoot. If you are just looking for something to get the atmospherics, the 2700 would work fine but adds an extra step in having to mess with your phone. On the kestrel site you can compare the features at the bottom of the page and see what you get by going up to a 5700. If you are shooting past 1,000 and want to increase your odds of first round impacts, I think the extra money is worth it.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Jumping up to the 5700 will get you the applied ballistics (or 4dof) built in to your unit so you can take the phone out of the equation and have a stand alone unit that does everything out to as far as you want to shoot. If you are just looking for something to get the atmospherics, the 2700 would work fine but adds an extra step in having to mess with your phone. On the kestrel site you can compare the features at the bottom of the page and see what you get by going up to a 5700. If you are shooting past 1,000 and want to increase your odds of first round impacts, I think the extra money is worth it.
Thanks, I actually just got off the phone with Kestrel and they explained lots of the differences. This does help too. No way I'd buy the 2700 now understanding the differences.

Flyjunky

WKR
Thanks, I actually just got off the phone with Kestrel and they explained lots of the differences. This does help too. No way I'd buy the 2700 now understanding the differences.
What did they tell you? I’m looking to get one also but not sure the model yet.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
What did they tell you? I’m looking to get one also but not sure the model yet.
Basically, the way I understood the guy I spoke with, their product offerings are broken down into 3 tiers:

• 2700 Series: Will only interface with their Kestrel App, and will only hold 1 rifle worth of ballistic data on board. Plus it will only solve to a maximum of 875 yards onboard.
  • 5700 Series: Will interface with their Kestrel App plus most of the major ballistic apps available. They function as standalone ballistic solvers if you enter your data into them, but will also function as weather meters that just funnel the atmospheric info into your preferred ballistic solving app (Shooter, Hornady 4DOF, Ballistic AE, ETC.). It will hold 3 ballistic profiles onboard at a time, so basically 3 rifles worth of baseline data, and will solve to between 3500 and 4000 yards depending on the sub-model. Then in field you can just use the Kestrel as your solver.
    • There's the Basic 5700 Series, which utilized Applied Ballistics as it's solving solution
    • 5700 Ruger Series, which the guy didn't even mention as a viable option really
    • 5700 Hornady 4DOF, which uses Hornady's 4DOF program as the onboard solver instead of applied ballistics.
  • The 5700 Elite Series: It line does everything the 5700 series will do but it will do it with 30 ballistic profiles. Otherwise same-same performance for all intents and purposes, just the ability to store more info at a time.

I know I'm missing lots of data, and I'm sure I'll get skewered for it. But that's the jest of how their product lines break down. Right now I'm debating between the Basic 5700 and the 4DOF model. We shoot Hornady products 100% of the time and I use their app a ton, but I also use shooter, so I can't decide if the 4DOF model is worth the $90 premium over the standard 5700.

Flyjunky

WKR
Basically, the way I understood the guy I spoke with, their product offerings are broken down into 3 tiers:

• 2700 Series: Will only interface with their Kestrel App, and will only hold 1 rifle worth of ballistic data on board. Plus it will only solve to a maximum of 875 yards onboard.
  • 5700 Series: Will interface with their Kestrel App plus most of the major ballistic apps available. They function as standalone ballistic solvers if you enter your data into them, but will also function as weather meters that just funnel the atmospheric info into your preferred ballistic solving app (Shooter, Hornady 4DOF, Ballistic AE, ETC.). It will hold 3 ballistic profiles onboard at a time, so basically 3 rifles worth of baseline data, and will solve to between 3500 and 4000 yards depending on the sub-model. Then in field you can just use the Kestrel as your solver.
    • There's the Basic 5700 Series, which utilized Applied Ballistics as it's solving solution
    • 5700 Ruger Series, which the guy didn't even mention as a viable option really
    • 5700 Hornady 4DOF, which uses Hornady's 4DOF program as the onboard solver instead of applied ballistics.
  • The 5700 Elite Series: It line does everything the 5700 series will do but it will do it with 30 ballistic profiles. Otherwise same-same performance for all intents and purposes, just the ability to store more info at a time.

I know I'm missing lots of data, and I'm sure I'll get skewered for it. But that's the jest of how their product lines break down. Right now I'm debating between the Basic 5700 and the 4DOF model. We shoot Hornady products 100% of the time and I use their app a ton, but I also use shooter, so I can't decide if the 4DOF model is worth the $90 premium over the standard 5700.
Thank you, that helps a ton.

Antares

WKR
I'm a knuckle dragger I guess. I have a 3500. The only things I ever look at are station pressure, temp, and wind speed.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From there, it looks like I jump to the 5700 units that range from $450-$900. What do those units get me that the 2700 doesn't?

I guess the real question, what tier do I need to reach to be able to accurately pull atmospheric info needed to feed my ballistic app correctly?

The User Interface (UI) for Kestrels is garbage. Slow and cumbersome. I do use the ballistic model for a backup, but rarely use the ballistics in them due to how much quicker it is to look at a drop table versus scrolling through the Kestrel.

I care about:

Wind speed
Density Altitude (DA)

Wake up/arrive at hunting/shooting location, check DA, adjust DA in app on phone, screenshot the drop table, make picture the Lock Screen picture in phone, note average wind speed, then put the Kestrel up. From there the only time I pull the Kestrel out again is to check wind speed given suffice to time for a specific shot, or if the wind speed has changed dramatically. Even then it is quicker to just change the wind speed in the app (Shooter) than to scroll through the Kestrel.

Flyjunky

WKR
The User Interface (UI) for Kestrels is garbage. Slow and cumbersome. I do use the ballistic model for a backup, but rarely use the ballistics in them due to how much quicker it is to look at a drop table versus scrolling through the Kestrel.

I care about:

Wind speed
Density Altitude (DA)

Wake up/arrive at hunting/shooting location, check DA, adjust DA in app on phone, screenshot the drop table, make picture the Lock Screen picture in phone, note average wind speed, then put the Kestrel up. From there the only time I pull the Kestrel out again is to check wind speed given suffice to time for a specific shot, or if the wind speed has changed dramatically. Even then it is quicker to just change the wind speed in the app (Shooter) than to scroll through the Kestrel.
Thanks for that Form. I was originally looking at the lower units for the exact reasons you mentioned. I just want DA and wind as well

Lawnboi

WKR

I care about:

Wind speed
Density Altitude (DA)

Beyond a backup this is basically what I use mine for in the field.

Operating a kestrel to its potential takes a lot of time with one.

It is nice in certain situations though. For expedient field shooting mine sits on the wind screen and that’s about it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve got a couple questions about how to get DA in shooter. This is for IPhone.

Go into settings, scroll down to the shooter app. Click it, scroll down and select “use density altitude”. These are the inputs/settings I use.

4B628E66-4328-4F8B-A545-CE0EC75FFC66.jpeg

F0E46B0F-F26B-465F-BE01-7479DB148158.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The “system” of you want to call it that, that I and everyone I am around use is based on being as quick and clean as possible with the least amount of cognitive load under stress, that results in hits anywhere in the world out to a minimum of 900 yards with most cartridge and bullet combinations.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for that Form. I was originally looking at the lower units for the exact reasons you mentioned. I just want DA and wind as well

👍🏼

Beyond a backup this is basically what I use mine for in the field.

Operating a kestrel to its potential takes a lot of time with one.

It is nice in certain situations though. For expedient field shooting mine sits on the wind screen and that’s about it.

Yes sir. I have a User page set to DA, Wind speed and Temp. I think I have used any other function under 1,200 yards maybe once in two or three years

Last edited:
OP
N

nobody

WKR
The “system” of you want to call it that, that I and everyone I am around use is based on being as quick and clean as possible with the least amount of cognitive load under stress, that results in hits anywhere in the world out to a minimum of 900 yards with most cartridge and bullet combinations.
Love this, you just saved me $600.

Any chance you could do a quick tutorial on how to read a Density Altitude chart? I believe I understand, but education never hurts.

Antares

WKR
I feel dumb asking this, but I've had trouble getting my head around DA.

What's the advantage of using DA over just station pressure and temp?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I feel dumb asking this, but I've had trouble getting my head around DA.

What's the advantage of using DA over just station pressure and temp?

DA is a combo of the environmental variables that pulls them into one number, and it does not require any electronics to get. The benefit here minus the electronics (which I find to be a huge plus), is that it is everything synthesized to one number- that means instead of having to input temp, altitude, pressure, etc and then see what changes it makes to my drop- I know that it is .1mil at 800 yards for every 1,000 ft difference in DA for a 6.5cm and event bullets.

Since I have a memorized quick drop chart in my head I don’t use the calculator until past 600 yards anyways. The whole thing is a “system” that brings it to the quickest and cleanest way to get hits anywhere in the world out to a minim of 900 yards with the least mental load as possible, with the most backups as possible.

Antares

WKR
DA is a combo of the environmental variables that pulls them into one number, and it does not require any electronics to get. The benefit here minus the electronics (which I find to be a huge plus), is that it is everything synthesized to one number- that means instead of having to input temp, altitude, pressure, etc and then see what changes it makes to my drop- I know that it is .1mil at 800 yards for every 1,000 ft difference in DA for a 6.5cm and event bullets.

Since I have a memorized quick drop chart in my head I don’t use the calculator until past 600 yards anyways. The whole thing is a “system” that brings it to the quickest and cleanest way to get hits anywhere in the world out to a minim of 900 yards with the least mental load as possible, with the most backups as possible.

Roger. I see that it's one number not two like I use (temp and station pressure), but I don't understand how you're estimating pressure without a meter. I can guess temp and altitude pretty well, but not pressure. I can just stand by for your video; looking forward to it.

Jimbee

WKR
Roger. I see that it's one number not two like I use (temp and station pressure), but I don't understand how you're estimating pressure without a meter. I can guess temp and altitude pretty well, but not pressure. I can just stand by for your video; looking forward to it.
I don’t know if this is helpful for you, but there are phone apps that will give you a DA reading for your location. (Providing you have phone service) I paid a few bucks for an app and when I go shoot I just input the app calculated DA into Strelok.