Scammer Got Me for 2500$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond the typical profile review and google image reverse searching, I should add in searching usernames on other sites to my routine...seems like a good way to sus out usernames that have been banned on other sites for scamming.

Rokslide appears to hide any user profiles that have been banned. Beyond finding an old post where they are tagged as being banned. Do y'all categorize them when you ban them? I'm wondering if there could be a stickied thread where all the banned usernames are posted so they pop up in a search. Maybe there's a reason that isn't done though.

So maybe a crazy question, but how much money was he going to save by buying these used? I don’t know anything about Swaros as I don’t have a need for that expensive of binoculars. Is it really worth the risk to save a couple hundred bucks?

405winash

FNG
Beyond the typical profile review and google image reverse searching, I should add in searching usernames on other sites to my routine...seems like a good way to sus out usernames that have been banned on other sites for scamming.

Rokslide appears to hide any user profiles that have been banned. Beyond finding an old post where they are tagged as being banned. Do y'all categorize them when you ban them? I'm wondering if there could be a stickied thread where all the banned usernames are posted so they pop up in a search. Maybe there's a reason that isn't done though.
I do more buying than selling on different sites and so far everyone has been greater. I do consider myself lucky.
I feel for you tuff deal!

Along with searching banned usernames make sure to also search the emails that they want you to use for payment

If you want to have some fun with them... submit scammer emails to Mailbait: https://mailbait.info/run.html

Wildgame

FNG
So maybe a crazy question, but how much money was he going to save by buying these used? I don’t know anything about Swaros as I don’t have a need for that expensive of binoculars. Is it really worth the risk to save a couple hundred bucks?
I think at 17 it might...$200 might as well be $500..

hunt1up

WKR
I’m going to throw this out there. At 17 this would have hurt, shit it would hurt now. 2500 is a lot of money regardless of age, but 10 bucks wouldn’t hurt a bit. If a bunch of us throw in 10 bucks maybe we could help him out a little? There’s 50k members, can we get 250 people to participate? Maybe a sponsor would do one at cost if we could raise some $$$$? @robby denning i assume this would be ok?
I'm in too.

CorbLand

WKR
Based on the price of 2500, that would have been a savings of about 700 bucks depending on tax in his state.

gadwallop

FNG
The only thing cooler than OP being honest about his mistake is the rest of you guys rallying around him and even digging into the whereabouts of the dirtbag who did the thing.
I'm sorry dude.
Hard work will always pay off. It just usually ain't without hard times first.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Make sure he isn’t scamming you lol
Definitely something to think about but with the history of this scammer and everything that’s happened I’m pretty confident he just got suckered and I’m more confident a decent percentage of WKR could have faced the same fate.

Sherman

WKR
I’m in to help this kid out.

I have a 15y/o that worked over 40 hrs a week all summer inspecting boats at the lake. He recently purchased over $3000 on a very nice waterfowl auto loading shotgun, a .22 for prairie dog hunting, and a 6.5 creedmoor for this upcoming deer season. I have all of these guns for him to use but he wanted to work for his own.

Your story hit me right in the feelers and I wish I could get my hands on the bag of dicks that did this to you.

Definitely something to think about but with the history of this scammer and everything that’s happened I’m pretty confident he just got suckered and I’m more confident a decent percentage of WKR could have faced the same fate.
I am in also, if you get something set up.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I am in also, if you get something set up.
Can someone please validate that this individual “the op” actually exists.

It would be a good way to log back in and tap the group for more money. Could one of the administrators at least validate this is a real person before we all contribute? If this can be done I’d be happy to contribute.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I mean he’d be pretty damn smart! Post a wtb, say he got scammed, then have someone randomly, for the first time ever on this sight, suggest we help him out (the OP never mentioned it). If he’s that smart he probably earned the extra money!!!

Does the forum have a way of blocking IPs from international locations? For the legit folks, they could request an account and get it approved by an admin. Or with international IPs an access list would block them from looking at classifieds. Just a thought.

CorbLand

WKR
Does the forum have a way of blocking IPs from international locations? For the legit folks, they could request an account and get it approved by an admin. Or with international IPs an access list would block them from looking at classifieds. Just a thought.
They would just use a VPN to change their IP.

It would also be really hard to verify if someone is legit. How would you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.