Savage Ultralite: 28 Nosler project

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
So I won this rifle at a SCI sporting clays shoot last week. This isn’t something I would have bought(not a savage guy) but the price was right. I’ve been searching all over this forum and others trying to find information about these so I figured I would post the process.

1. Factory weight was well over 6 pounds. Different than advertised.

2. Magazines are impossible to find. If you have this trouble call Savage directly and they will ship you some. Easy Peezy, great customer service.

3. I have no idea who would like the Accu trigger. Timney trigger dropped right; in bolt release works without any modification.

4. I really like the “Stocky Stocks” Hunting Stock on this rifle. Weight 24oz. Cut 6+ ounces from the rifle.

5. Below is the weight with Talley Med Ext front and rear 30mm rings
IMG_0356.jpeg
6. It’s going to replace the super light 270(left) and give my faithful 300(right) a break after 10 years.
IMG_0124.jpeg
7. I have VX-5 Leupold on the way. Should work with those rings. I will post a final weight and any issues when it gets here. As well as accuracy, how it shoots suppressed, etc.

These are a neat set up and they are blowing them out for reasonable prices here and there. So I figured I would dump all of my information in one spot; to save someone else, all of the looking, I have done.
IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited:

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the same rifle in 280 AI, and it’s my first Savage. I polished the action, so it’s a lot smoother. I took out the safety blade in the AccuTrigger, I don’t know how anyone can like those. Although I’m not a big appearance guy, I had to rattle can the ugly grey-purple stock. It’s a good hunting rifle.

Elite

WKR
I’ve got the same rifle in 280 AI, and it’s my first Savage. I polished the action, so it’s a lot smoother. I took out the safety blade in the AccuTrigger, I don’t know how anyone can like those. Although I’m not a big appearance guy, I had to rattle can the ugly grey-purple stock. It’s a good hunting rifle.

Any pictures of the paint job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite

WKR
I have one in 30-06 and it was dead on 6lbs. Odd yours was heavier then advertised

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 30-06 and it was dead on 6lbs. Odd yours was heavier then advertised

Pretty chunky bolt on the 28? Longer barrel? Memory serves it was 6 lbs. 7oz

CRJR45

WKR
Looks way better then stock, Care to share the process?

I took the stock off the rifle and made a buck for it out of scrap wood , then just used paint from the hardware store . I used paint made for plastic . I got the sponge from the hardware store also , it was a car wash sponge .

IMG_3034.jpgIMG_3043.jpg
I sprayed the paint into a coffee lid then dipped the sponge in the paint and applied it to the stock . Clear coat over everything .
It has wore off in spots , like where my thumb rests , but I just redo it . I figured it's just a Savage stock , can't really hurt it's value , LOL

I like the rifle and the caliber , it shoots great . It's a little raspy when working the bolt and I still haven't got it to feed they way I want , but I'll get it figured out before I go west this year .

I started to do the same thing with a 300wsm earlier this year. But, I just couldn't get over the action and trigger, even though it shot very well. After 40 rounds I sold the rifle to a friend that absolutely loved it. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I started to do the same thing with a 300wsm earlier this year. But, I just couldn't get over the action and trigger, even though it shot very well. After 40 rounds I sold the rifle to a friend that absolutely loved it. Let us know how it turns out.
Trigger is definitely something I couldn’t get past. That said the Timney is a pretty cheap part and excellent.

TheHammer

WKR
I posted a thread on mine… in 308 and an omega 300. The accutrigger is loved by many. Myself included, those who have a shot process it allows for thoughtless muscle memory. Also I prefer having a cheek raiser for solid and consistent results. Mine stacks them at 300yds with hornady eldm sp. pretty typical savage 110 performance & I’d expect your 28 to do the same at even further distances.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I just couldn’t get over the feel of the blade and the bounce in the trigger. This is ironic because I shoot exclusively Glocks competitively. Lol

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing about the Savage Ultralight is a very cheap plastic trigger guard. Mine broke while re-torquing the action screws to specs, and I know of others who had broken the piece also. I got a metal replacement trigger guard from Gun Shack for about $30, it’s money well spent.

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider