Savage Ultralite: 28 Nosler project

Elite

WKR

Looks awesome, Did you tape the soft black parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Looks awesome, Did you tape the soft black parts?

Yes, I just wanted to change the purple-ish ugly color. I used a few coats of non-skid exterior paint, and a few coats of flat clear coat. Not for show, just a mountain rifle. I bought it before they made the factory camo colors, otherwise I probably would have bought it camo-ed.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Last parts I’m waiting on are the metal trigger guard(tomorrow) and 2 more mags(Monday).

IMG_0414.jpeg
W/ 2rds in the mag.
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg
New ride vs old.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Update: it’s 94° and mid-western humid today. But the rifle is all set up and I wanted to get it zeroed.
IMG_0456.jpeg
Initial impressions: Timney trigger is awesome. Very little recoil with a brake. Overall, extremely happy with how this rifle turned out.
IMG_0457.jpeg
One shot after boresighting. Shots 2,3,4 made a slightly over 1/2 MOA group. Final adjustment confirmed on shot 5. (100yds) Fired two rounds at 275 to confirm my actual zero. One with the brake/ one without. Less than 1 1/2 inches apart. Even though this rifle is lighter than my Tikka, 300 I would say recoil is very similar, if not slightly less.

Extremely pleased with this accuracy using factory ammo.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
What Timney trigger ? I looked on their site and I don't see the Ultralite listed , help me out please ?
It's the Accutrigger one. It cleared the plastic trigger guard without issues. However with the metal trigger guard the sear end of the trigger had some binding. Easily fixed by adding a washer under the trigger guard to create some space.

CRJR45

WKR
It's the Accutrigger one. It cleared the plastic trigger guard without issues. However with the metal trigger guard the sear end of the trigger had some binding. Easily fixed by adding a washer under the trigger guard to create some space.
Thank you , I'll order one .

CRJR45

WKR
No problem! Install is super simple and the trigger is great.
Do you have trouble getting the mag to feed in your rifle ? I called Savage because mine was not feeding , they are sending me a new mag specifically for the 28 Nosler , no charge , JFYI .
Ordered the Timney , thanks again .

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have trouble getting the mag to feed in your rifle ? I called Savage because mine was not feeding , they are sending me a new mag specifically for the 28 Nosler , no charge , JFYI .
The mag that came with it feeds fine. I have two more getting delivered tomorrow that are coming to directly from Savage send me a picture of the new mag you got.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
So my 2 mags from Savage showed up. The new ones are marked “7mm mag, 338.

The original(that I know works) is marked:
“375 Ruger”
“300 Win Mag”

Everything else appears identical
IMG_0504.jpeg

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I just could not get happy with the eye relief on the Talley rings. So I added a rail and mounted the scope in a set of Seekins I had laying around. Zeroed in another four rounds. Still shooting around a half minute. A couple rounds at 350 Were also excellent. I need the corn to come off so I can stretch this thing out!

Round count is now 18.

IMG_0612.jpeg

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nice build. What’s your impressions of that Stockys stock? I’ve been looking at those for a semi custom Model 11 ultra lite that have.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
The two new mags I ordered came
friday and both say the same thing .375 Ruger and .300 WM . I wonder whats up with that .
No idea. Looking at the mag geometry I think there is probably going to continue to be feed issues with 28 Nosler. The shoulder hits one of the crimps in the mag, and causes potential nosedives. I would guess these mags are fairly trouble free with a 338 or even a 300 win mag. Because the case diameter is smaller. What I have found it is if I load three in the mag. (TIGHT) The first 2 feed fine. The last round is a crapshoot. Honestly not a dealbreaker for me. This gun is going to be a long range, deliberate shooting Hunting Gun.

Also, as this thing breaks-in it’s getting better. 2 shots @ 100 to confirm Zero. 2 shots sub 1” at 298 today as well.

IMG_0620.jpeg

CRJR45

WKR
No idea. Looking at the mag geometry I think there is probably going to continue to be feed issues with 28 Nosler. The shoulder hits one of the crimps in the mag, and causes potential nosedives. I would guess these mags are fairly trouble free with a 338 or even a 300 win mag. Because the case diameter is smaller. What I have found it is if I load three in the mag. (TIGHT) The first 2 feed fine. The last round is a crapshoot. Honestly not a dealbreaker for me. This gun is going to be a long range, deliberate shooting Hunting Gun.

Also, as this thing breaks-in it’s getting better. 2 shots @ 100 to confirm Zero. 2 shots sub 1” at 298 today as well.

View attachment 594528
Oh , I agree , mine is very accurate , plus I bought a second barrel here , brand new , so I plan on shooting this gun for awhile . I need to fiddle with these mags and find what works .