Safely dispose of old shotgun shells?

webhak

FNG
I'm sorting through old ammo after a recent move and am...

1) impressed with the ammo I've kept over the years, and
2) disturbed by the condition of some of the rounds.

Here's a 20-gauge shell that I don't feel is safe to shoot. What's the best way to safely dispose of this?

Attachments

• 20_1.jpg
    20_1.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20_2.jpg
    20_2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 39
If it's only a few rounds I've done as above, cut and dump and then I'll fire the primer safely. Curious what people do when you have a few boxes of them to get rid of other than tossing them in a private lake or something.

Taudisio

WKR
You can just cut it open and pour it out if you want to render it mostly inert to toss in the trash. A single primer without powder isn't much of a hazard.
I would do this, and put the base and primer in the gun and make a pop in the backyard (unless you live in the city) while throwing a toy for the dog. Makes me feel like it’s not a waste for the dog to get some training.

OP
webhak

webhak

FNG
I would do this, and put the base and primer in the gun and make a pop in the backyard (unless you live in the city) while throwing a toy for the dog. Makes me feel like it’s not a waste for the dog to get some training.

Great idea on the popper. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
Toss it in the fire
Giving one the benefit of the doubt, it is likely the suggestion of tossing it into the fire is intended to be humorous. But a suggestion to put unused ammunition into a fire is not a good thing to post on the internet. While many of us know better, we should keep in mind this forum is open to the public, and many people out there may not know any better, including young children or some dumba$$ who may come across this thread at some point in the future.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammodotcom