Saddle Panniers

PNWGATOR

WKR
Looking to add saddle panniers to our kit in order to walk stock into the backcountry with camp and gear slung over our saddles. Have looked at the different options offered by outfitter supply and trailhead supply and wondering what's the best option out there. Know there sre several makers that offer panniers, but I have no vendors locally and know no one that uses them so we physically can not appreciate the differences in design, materials and workmanship. Is there a significant difference? Does it matter? Based on my knowledge of outdoor equipment, I'd say there is a 'best' value and 'yes' it matters and I'm looking to spend my hard earned dollars on that specific product.
Recommendations?

roknHS

FNG
What ever you get for panniers, make sure your saddles are set up with breast collars and britchin. I assume you are talking riding saddles and not pack saddles. I prefer leather reinforced canvas panniers over nylon panniers. If you're packing riding saddles, keep the load to about 60lbs. per side. Before starting down any prolonged steep part of the trail, tighten the quarter straps on your britchin to keep the loads from riding forward on the horse's withers. At the bottom of the steep pitch, you can slack the quarter straps again. If you don't sore your horse, you may not need all the vet supplies you plan on taking.

Good advice above on not packing to heavy with western saddles and a britchin is a must. I have four sets of the outfitters supply nylon panniers and they have held up great. There always behind my cantle when I head out and I've packed a whole elk on one horse for a short distance.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good advice on above posts. One of the issues that I have had with saddle panniers is they all seem to ride to low as they are pretty much made to fit "one size fits all." I solved this by doubling up the material on the top and sewing it so that they ride higher and fit my saddle better. I love them as you can carry them with you on your riding horse and if need be, you can pack a whole deer out and walk out if you just ride the one horse. I've also ridden a horse in with a pack horse and walked out with them carrying an elk between the two.
Lots of good panniers out there also.

https://www.smithandedwards.com/departments/saddle-bags---pack-panniers-558.html

Randy

Attachments

• DSCN1620.jpg
    DSCN1620.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
We have tried western saddle paniers and they sucked for us, yes they worked but one trip and one bear and they were coming apart. Yes they hang way too low but some quick mods on the sewing machine and you can shorten up the center. Another thing you can do is rig sling ropes and basket hitch those loads to lift them off the animal. Any time I run soft paniers I still run my sling rope and lift the load.
Many viseos on youtube showing hitches on saddles. Try searching Royaltines on youtube, and search basket hitch on riding saddle.
Maybe Robby can let us know what he used on his 9 day hunt with 2 horses. I have my saddle rigged with rings on the back so I can use sling ropes and manty loads. I plan on running in like Robby did on his trip.