Who is Hoffman Boots......let me tell you?

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi all
I just wanted to take a few minutes to answer a questions we hear from time to time.........who is Hoffman Boots? Hoffman's manufacturing was started by my dad and his two brothers back in 1973. Already cobblers for many years and a few generations of experience to build on, the brothers moved to North Idaho and all of its beauty. The logging industry was very robust in the 70's and the need for high traction calk boots (boots with spikes on the bottom) was growing. The type of calk used at the time were very tedious to make and expensive to replace. The three brothers came up with the idea of the replacement calk that loggers could change out themselves and began producing these type of boots. The Hoffman name was very common in logging camps throughout the northwest and still a large part of our business today with timber fallers, reforestation and tree planting crews.
In the 80's, they expanded into the utility industry. Building boots for lineman really took off. The development of the dual steel shank system was a game changer for lineman. The support these boots offered were second to none for guys climbing poles. With over 25 styles to choose from, supporting our lineman is still a mainstay in the Hoffman line.
In the year 2000, myself, my brother and sister, who all had worked for Hoffman's for several years, purchased the business. Although there was a good foundation set for future success of the business, there was always a desire by myself and my brother to add a hunting boot line to our offerings. After all, neither of us were loggers or lineman, but we grew up hunting and this was a passion for the both of us.
Starting with pac boots was a natural fit. We already were building some of the best pacs for the most demanding markets. I don't think there is anyone tougher on boots than loggers so building pacs for the hunting industry seemed a natural. With over a dozen models to choose from, we have something for just about everyone. If a person is looking for warmth as their primary objective, our felt pacs, like the Mountaineer or Voyager, with a removable 9mm felt liner are a must. For those on the go who are looking for a pac to be more mobile in, look at Thinsulate lined pacs like the Guide or our Pro series pacs.
The next piece of the puzzle was adding a leather boot line for high performance hunting. Knowing some of the best boots in the world for hunting come out of Italy, we went to work finding a company that not only had exceptional quality but also the history of making quality boots and the understanding of what hunters want. After several trials and error with several companies, we found a company that matched our needs completely. The third generation family had been providing hunting and hiking footwear in Europe for nearly 50 years at the time and the quality and performance spoke for itself. I like to tell this story because it is true. I received our final sample of our 8" Explorer boot the day before opening day of our elk season. The boot felt great but going up in the mountains of North Idaho with a brand new pair of boots that had never been worn.........well, I new better. Opening morning I laced them up and off I went. I was so pleasantly surprised of not only the support and comfort, but just the all around performance they gave me. I knew we had something special at this point. I had worn a lot of different boot through the years of hunting but nothing like this.
We have sense expanded our line with more than a dozen different offerings for men and woman. I am often asked why our boots are less expensive than other similar boots in its class and what is the difference in quality. I point out a couple things. Quality of our materials are second to none. We use Vibram soles and Sympatex waterproof booties. Both cost more than making your own sole or going to the orient to make a waterproof liner. Vibram is second to none for durability and traction and Sympatex is a German company who makes fantastic waterproof booties. They cost more but have been a proven liner with us in not only our hunting boots but several of our lineman boots for years. Our leather is heavy duty amphibious leather, the best you can buy in Italy. We also had a custom insole made that is higher end than most boots you get out of this region. Our tapered nylon midsole is the perfect blend of stability and support with the right amount of flex for comfort. Were we cut cost is advertising. We don't have a single sales rep on the road. My dad never did and always relied on word of mouth to increase the business. Seems odd but it worked. This is definitely a slower approach but none better, When someone you know recommends a product, it often means something. We sell lineman boots form coast to coast and we are the largest producer of calk style boots in the US. We don't mass market either. There are so many companies dumping tens of thousands of dollars into advertising that all go into the cost of the boot. Doesn't mean it is wrong, just something we do not do. Our marketing budget is very limited. That is why you can buy the best quality pac boot for $60 to $70 less than our competition. Our leather boots are the same. You can compare our Explorer boot to anyone's, in fact I encourage it. I just need a person to try our boot on, the boot will sell itself. I love going to some of the hunting shows when all of the boot companies are there. There are some great choices out there, Kenetrek, Schnees, Crispi and others and when guys come into our booth, I tell them you are at the show, try everyone's boot on and see what you think. They will all fit just a bit different. I may not get everyone back but I do get a high percentage back. This is when I know we are on the right track.
Anyways, that is Hoffman's in a nut shell. We are a fourth generation, family owned company (counting my grandfather and great grandfather as cobblers) who take pride in doing what we do. We strive for good customer service and bringing the best products we can to our customers. I do ask when your in the market for your next pair of boots, please give us a look.
Jim Hoffman

I’ve owned a pair of 10” Hoffman Hunters for 2yrs now and have been wearing mountain style hunting boots for 25yrs and these are now my favorites. No break in for me and great feel once they settle into your foot. I had a small issue with first pair and made call to customer service and no questions were replaced and new pair ha s been awesome. Fit my foot like slippers and have zero issues with them. Like most boots for me I had to get right sock combo since my feet sweat a lot and don’t like most kinds of waterproofing. These have sympatec but I have trouble with all kinds goretex, rubber, dryplus etc etc so I ended up with a sock liner and midweight merino wool and my feet stay dry unless it’s 70+ out and then who cares cuz feet aren’t getting cold then. Again great product, unmatched customer service equals best boot!!!

I have a pair of felt lined corks and mountaineers in air bobs. Have the same for my son and air bobs for my wife. Comfort no matter what the conditions.

I live in deep snow and cold. Thank God for Hoffmans.

uncastan

FNG
Torn between trying the explorer and the armor pro for mountain hunting. Everything from mountain whitetail to goat hunts..
Cheers

OP
H

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Both are tough boots and I feel comfortable recommending either. For me personally, I really like the 8" Explorer. I have several other brands over the years before we started with the Explorer, and it is just a super comfortable boot with outstanding performance. The Armor Pro is really tough with the outer coating but the Explorer just fit my foot better.

uncastan

FNG
Both are tough boots and I feel comfortable recommending either. For me personally, I really like the 8" Explorer. I have several other brands over the years before we started with the Explorer, and it is just a super comfortable boot with outstanding performance. The Armor Pro is really tough with the outer coating but the Explorer just fit my foot better.
I appreciate that.
Do you still recommend using a leather conditioner on the Armor Pro boots?

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
The quality on these looks great, and I sure am glad you are offering size 15. I wish you would offer wide sizes too.

I've gone a different route than what people traditionally go for. There is a time and place for super stiff, supportive boots with super thick soles, but that is not the style I want for most hunting. I also do not want sleek and pointed styles with aggressive heels that are normally for work like climbing ladders and such. If you would consider it, there is a huge gap in the market right now for a much lighter boot with minimum support, and no drop at the heel. Russel Moccasin used to make a couple of models that fit the bill, but they were also insanely expensive $500+ in pre-2020 dollars. They no longer make anything like that. If you could make something like their thula thula for a more reasonable $300, it would sell well. It doesn't have to be in that exact style, it simply has to have little or no arch support, yet a comfortable foot bed (soft leather is phenomenal), zero drop at the heel, not overly stiff construction for ankle mobility, and most importantly, a nice wide toe box. Ideally a rather thin sole, but still with enough tread to grip dirt.

Boots like that are better for your feet, ankles, and knees. They also tend to be quieter and lighter. Recently one of my favorite shoe brands, Softstar, came out with a boot like this. Judging only by looks, I worry if the leather they chose is enough to hold up to real abuse. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of the wool liner, I like as little insulation as possible for my hiking boots. The only time I get cold is if I sit, and I use different boots, or none at all if I do that (wear booties). I own a few pairs of Softstar shoes, but do not own these boots, although I might next year as my current boots are likely on their last season. I think you could improve on that design by using a harder cow hide around the toe, and any other area that gets hit hard with brush. I would keep the ankle, toe box sides, and upper relatively soft. I tend to like the rounded toe better than a moc toe. If that's something you would be interested in, let me know. I would pay to be the Guinea pig.

Last edited:
My retired military buddy at work was just talking about getting a new pair of hunting boots because his son has a Colo mule deer hunt coming up

And he was leaning towards Hoffmans- I’ll hafta show this thread to me. It will prob help him get a pair based off the first post directly from family lineage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The quality on these looks great, and I sure am glad you are offering size 15. I wish you would offer wide sizes too.

I've gone a different route than what people traditionally go for. There is a time and place for super stiff, supportive boots with super thick soles, but that is not the style I want for most hunting. I also do not want sleek and pointed styles with aggressive heels that are normally for work like climbing ladders and such. If you would consider it, there is a huge gap in the market right now for a much lighter boot with minimum support, and no drop at the heel. Russel Moccasin used to make a couple of models that fit the bill, but they were also insanely expensive $500+ in pre-2020 dollars. They no longer make anything like that. If you could make something like their thula thula for a more reasonable $300, it would sell well. It doesn't have to be in that exact style, it simply has to have little or no arch support, yet a comfortable foot bed (soft leather is phenomenal), zero drop at the heel, not overly stiff construction for ankle mobility, and most importantly, a nice wide toe box. Ideally a rather thin sole, but still with enough tread to grip dirt.

Boots like that are better for your feet, ankles, and knees. They also tend to be quieter and lighter. Recently one of my favorite shoe brands, Softstar, came out with a boot like this. Judging only by looks, I worry if the leather they chose is enough to hold up to real abuse. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of the wool liner, I like as little insulation as possible for my hiking boots. The only time I get cold is if I sit, and I use different boots, or none at all if I do that (wear booties). I own a few pairs of Softstar shoes, but do not own these boots, although I might next year as my current boots are likely on their last season. I think you could improve on that design by using a harder cow hide around the toe, and any other area that gets hit hard with brush. I would keep the ankle, toe box sides, and upper relatively soft. I tend to like the rounded toe better than a moc toe. If that's something you would be interested in, let me know. I would pay to be the Guinea pig.

Thanks for the input - I did look at the shoe you sent and it is interesting. Almost like a pair of high top tennis shoes but with a more solid sole on it. Something to look at but at this time we don't really have anything like it. I really appreciate the input.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan here. Spent my lifetime hunting blacktail deer near the coast in NoCal. Very steep and brushy country. Its also logging country.....well not much anymore. I bought a pair of the lightweight calks on the Pronghorn platform and it was the best boot for the job EVER. It's amazing how much less energy you spend when you have a sure grip with every step you take. Not recommended in very rocky ground, but besides that you will be amazed.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input - I did look at the shoe you sent and it is interesting. Almost like a pair of high top tennis shoes but with a more solid sole on it. Something to look at but at this time we don't really have anything like it. I really appreciate the input.

Well no, basically the polar opposite of a tennis shoe. Here is another I found with a more durable looking construction, but the sole on this is inadequate. Definitely use a more aggressive sole like the Softstar.

If you could make that bearfoot upper with that megagrip sole Softstar uses, and make the foot bed like Softstar does, you would have a winner.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone looking for pac boots should give them a look. Hoffman pac boots are awesome. The only boot I found to keep my feet warm all day while sitting in a stand or if I’m not doing a lot of walking.
Customer service is also great. I made a mistake and they took care of the problem with no hassle.

letrbuck

WKR
Cool to see you guys in the forum! Have had my Ourdoorsman pacs for several years now and they are my favorite winter boot for any time I'm working/hunting outside and not going to sit for extended periods. Not too heavy, not too light, and comfortable as heck!