S&B Klassik 3-12....reliable and good stuff?

BBob

WKR
When I looked last I couldnt find any rails for my gun except 0moa and 20moa rails...there used to be a few 10moa ones
Murphy Precision does 0, 10 and 20. I'd bet if you email him (be patient, he's a one man band) he might even do a 5 for you. Oh and his all are fairly low profile. I've had him in the past make me one as short as possible for a different project (not a Tikka). I tagged him so lets see if he's got time to comment ;)

@Cameron Murphy

BjornF16

WKR
@Macintosh is correct. You’re limited by turret to 4.8 mils, and you have a little elevation beyond that to zero.

The simplest solution is to zero your rifle at 100 and see how much elevation you have left. If it’s <4.8 and you need all 4.8, then a 10MOA rail will be needed. I think I read SRS is working on a low-profile one.
I was under the impression that regardless of 0, 10 or 20 MOA rail, the S&B was limited to 4.8 mils of travel once zero was set...?

TxLite

WKR
I was under the impression that regardless of 0, 10 or 20 MOA rail, the S&B was limited to 4.8 mils of travel once zero was set...?
The turret is limited to one revolution, which is 4.8 mils. I’m not sure what the direction is about regarding the 20 moa rail.

Edit- disregard, I see now the discussion is about running out of room while setting zero

BjornF16

WKR
The turret is limited to one revolution, which is 4.8 mils. I’m not sure what the direction is about regarding the 20 moa rail.
So, once zero is set, limited to one turn.

It doesn't make a difference what rail you use...

TxLite

WKR
So, once zero is set, limited to one turn.

It doesn't make a difference what rail you use...
Added an edit to my post. From what I can tell the discussion is regarding being able to get the full 4.8 mil of travel after setting zero, if your zero is not somewhere near the middle of the scopes adjustment capability

Macintosh

WKR
There is a ton of extra room on my klassic with the 3.2mil turret. Has anyone who has a 4.8mil turret not been able to adjust a full 4.8mil from their 100 yard zero with a flat mount? I havent heard anyone post to that effect.

atmat

WKR
There is a ton of extra room on my klassic with the 3.2mil turret. Has anyone who has a 4.8mil turret not been able to adjust a full 4.8mil from their 100 yard zero with a flat mount? I havent heard anyone post to that effect.
There’s been a handful of folks I’ve talked to who couldn’t, and I couldn’t without a rail.

atmat

WKR
@atmat what rail did you use? Im pretty sure a 20moa rail would be non-functional.
I didn’t switch to a rail; I sold the scope. But not for any other reason than I am starting to shoot further, but live at sea level, and needed more elevation. I was getting most of the 4.8 though.

Now I have an RS1.2.

A 20MOA rail may work, but it would be cutting it very close. It just depends how far you had to dial to get to zero. A 10MOA rail is a more surefire bet.

Thanks. I kinda started all this. I don't want a rail if I don't have to on this gun. Plenty of other options to choose where I wouldn't need one.

The RS1.2 is on my list

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I do not have the dialing turret on mine, however I had no problem zeroing with a 20 MOA rail (Area 419 using NF UL low rings) on my Tikka (308). So, there is adequate down travel in the erector.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That may not be true for all of them. 20MOA=5.8 mil, and the scope has a total of 10.8mil (in theory, 5.4 up and down). A 20MOA rail is probably cutting it close.
It was close to the bottom, but not bottomed out. I no longer have the rail, and did not think to count clicks to bottom. Based on memory of were the dial was set, I would say I had 5-15 clicks remaining, take that with a huge grain of salt though.

Mine turns for 115 clicks from top to bottom of the range. S&B sets there scopes to cm at 100 meters, I'm pretty sure that is a linear cm, while a MRAD is the arc length, meaning each click is ever so slightly larger than a true MRAD. So, theoretically, 11.5 clicks on an S&B Klassik is more than 11.5 mil, but I'm too lazy to do the math on how much more at the moment.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
With a 20 MOA rail you may need to zero at 200 yards to allow you to use all 4.8 mils.

Yep. I had one rifle that 25 MOA rings were to much. A 20 MOA rail worked for a 200 yard zero but not a 100 yard zero. On a different rifle, flat/receiver mounted rings only left me with 3.0 mil up up left with a 100 yard zero.

I like the 3-12 Klassic but have to be choosy on mount selection.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Yep. I had one rifle that 25 MOA rings were to much. A 20 MOA rail worked for a 200 yard zero but not a 100 yard zero. On a different rifle, flat/receiver mounted rings only left me with 3.0 mil up up left with a 100 yard zero.

I like the 3-12 Klassic but have to be choosy on mount selection.
J, I was thinking of you when I posted that! grin