S&B Klassik 3-12....reliable and good stuff?

I always assumed that anything S&B had a price tag that started with a 3. Reading someone's Wanted in Optics for Sale led me to Euro Optics and looking at a Schmidy 3-12 Klassik. Priced under $1500. Got my interest.

Keeping it semi short: I will retire soon and want a Plains Game in Africa. I love the 300 Win Mag. I want to rebarrel a current LH rifle with an Bartlein and chamber the same. Just a nice, classic "traditional" bolt gun. Fancy-ish, but not an LR precision rifle.

I've long wanted a NF 2.5-10X NXS. But I ALWAYS like more Xs. Just do. 12X does give me way more warm/fuzzies than a 10X.

The particular scope I found checks I think...ALL my boxes. I love an illuminated dot. Even if I don't use it...it's there if I do. I shoot a fair bit of LR. I like a turret that spins and is reliable. I don't envision this rifle as an LR rig, but if it's accurate enough, why not have the ability to dial a perfect shot at 342 yards on a Kudu?

Asking....is Klassik glass still on par with modern glass from Japan or Euro? Anyone know if the turret has a zero stop? And how is the reported reliabilty of a S&B in this line? I do realize many compete with top end Schmidys....but those price tags start with a 4 maybe even a 5. Not want I can afford or want.

I do have a Bushy 3-12 I've never used in the safe. Kinda was holding onto it for this build. But I'd almost prefer a SFP for this rig than FFP.

This a legit option for what I am wanting to accomplish? Anyone have any feedback on an S&B 3-12? Any competitors?

EDIT: I did not realize these are First Focal Plane? $1500 seems very reasonable for German glass in an FFP optic with illumination. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Schaaf

WKR
The absolutely only drawback to the S&B Klassik’s I’ve found is that they struggle to deal with veiling glare and sometimes allows the image to wash out.

Other than that, for a hunting scope under 600 yards. They’re tough to beat.

Samson7x

WKR
So, I find myself in a nearly identical situation and will be headed to SA later in the year. I could not make my mind up and ended up buying both the NXS and the SB. Both would serve you well and I think it comes down to whether you want FFP or SFP. My train of thought with the SFP is that with only 10x top, if I'm dialing, I will already be at 10x. Several pros and cons to each: SB has capped turrets, no parallax, reticle is thin on the low end, very nice glass. NF has better reticle imo, red or green illum, great glass, nice turrets. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I really don't think 10x vs 12x will matter for most of your SA hunts. From my research, shots will be <500yds.

KenLee

WKR
I always assumed that anything S&B had a price tag that started with a 3. Reading someone's Wanted in Optics for Sale led me to Euro Optics and looking at a Schmidy 3-12 Klassik. Priced under $1500. Got my interest.

Keeping it semi short: I will retire soon and want a Plains Game in Africa. I love the 300 Win Mag. I want to rebarrel a current LH rifle with an Bartlein and chamber the same. Just a nice, classic "traditional" bolt gun. Fancy-ish, but not an LR precision rifle.

I've long wanted a NF 2.5-10X NXS. But I ALWAYS like more Xs. Just do. 12X does give me way more warm/fuzzies than a 10X.

The particular scope I found checks I think...ALL my boxes. I love an illuminated dot. Even if I don't use it...it's there if I do. I shoot a fair bit of LR. I like a turret that spins and is reliable. I don't envision this rifle as an LR rig, but if it's accurate enough, why not have the ability to dial a perfect shot at 342 yards on a Kudu?

Asking....is Klassik glass still on par with modern glass from Japan or Euro? Anyone know if the turret has a zero stop? And how is the reported reliabilty of a S&B in this line? I do realize many compete with top end Schmidys....but those price tags start with a 4 maybe even a 5. Not want I can afford or want.

I do have a Bushy 3-12 I've never used in the safe. Kinda was holding onto it for this build. But I'd almost prefer a SFP for this rig than FFP.

This a legit option for what I am wanting to accomplish? Anyone have any feedback on an S&B 3-12? Any competitors?

EDIT: I did not realize these are First Focal Plane? $1500 seems very reasonable for German glass in an FFP optic with illumination. What am I missing?
You could catch em in 56mm on sale for a grand b4 the RonaBiden inflation.

OP
J
So, I find myself in a nearly identical situation and will be headed to SA later in the year. I could not make my mind up and ended up buying both the NXS and the SB. Both would serve you well and I think it comes down to whether you want FFP or SFP. My train of thought with the SFP is that with only 10x top, if I'm dialing, I will already be at 10x. Several pros and cons to each: SB has capped turrets, no parallax, reticle is thin on the low end, very nice glass. NF has better reticle imo, red or green illum, great glass, nice turrets. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I really don't think 10x vs 12x will matter for most of your SA hunts. From my research, shots will be <500yds.
Very cool parallel. Best wishes.

OP
J
Well shoot.....having just gone down the Red vs Green with MRDs on pistols....I like Green. And the parallax adjustment is a big deal to me.

Chasing my own tail. Staying close to home with the Bushnell LRHS 3-12 has illum and parallax.

OP
J
Off topics, but I thought SA was still a real schitt show and essentially closed? When I am serious I intended to look elsewhere and expect to pay more. Not a Diva, but Waterbuk on my super short list and not really sought after by many. Really have no interest in a 7 critter "package" with 4 of them stuff I have zero interest. Rather hunt 3-4 great ones than 7 crappy one. Be thrilled with a Blue beest, Waterbuck and couple impala. Keep the zebra, duiker, steen and bles

Samson7x

WKR
Well shoot.....having just gone down the Red vs Green with MRDs on pistols....I like Green. And the parallax adjustment is a big deal to me.

Chasing my own tail. Staying close to home with the Bushnell LRHS 3-12 has illum and parallax.

LRHS is a nice scope, I have the 4-18 model. I prefer NXS glass and turrets. On my model, at 18x the reticle is a bit thick. I will often back off to about 14x.

Off topics, but I thought SA was still a real schitt show and essentially closed? When I am serious I intended to look elsewhere and expect to pay more. Not a Diva, but Waterbuk on my super short list and not really sought after by many. Really have no interest in a 7 critter "package" with 4 of them stuff I have zero interest. Rather hunt 3-4 great ones than 7 crappy one. Be thrilled with a Blue beest, Waterbuck and couple impala. Keep the zebra, duiker, steen and bles

No, it's open. If you have specific animals you are after, you will pay daily rates plus trophy fees. I suggest discussing with your outfitter, tell them your target species and see if they will offer a discount. Many will accommodate.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The S&B Klassiks are good scopes and probably the ideal option from your stated desires. Parallax adjustment is not a thing that should worry you on this, nor is the color of the illumination. Yes, the “BDC” turret (which is mil) has a zero stop as it’s limited to one rotation.

The Klassiks are probably the best “classic” hunting scopes made. If I didn’t need more than 3.2 mils of elevation on the turret for hunting, the Klassik with P3 reticle would be on most of my rifles.

Macintosh

WKR

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
It also looks like the newest models have 4.5+ mils of adjustment on the turret.
That's great news.
I have several of the 3-12's with turret and P3 reticle. Love them.
Have a buddy who led me to the PMII 10x42's with the P3 also, as a lightweight "almost" bombproof hunting scope, those have 13 mils of elevation.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The glass is phenomenal. The turrets are either not designed for dialing, or have limited travel. If you need to dial, and don't mind SFP, the NXS will likely work better. If you need low light performance, FFP with mil reticle for hold overs, and don't need to dial for shots past about 500 yards, an S&B is better.

That I my take on it. I sold an NX8 1-8x24 to get a Klassik 3-12x42.

Macintosh

WKR
The S&B 2023 catalog also shows 4.5+ mils of adjustment for the BDC turret.

Do you have a link? Not seeing anything on their website.

For what its worth, I had a turret installed on mine in January and they siad nothing about a new turret—I asked because the diagram on their website shows 4.8mils for this scope, but they had some explanation about how it was really 3.2….and my turret is definitely 3.2. I actually think its a great hunting turret, very easy to set the zero stop and use, but folks should know that the turret itself is the limiting factor in elevation, so using a rail will not add any elevation.

This is the diagram at this link—same as its been for a while. Id love to know for sure if there is actually a 4.8mil turret for the 3-12x42. They certainly arent great about communicating this stuff.

1512C829-DFAE-4658-8F67-9C6D1820AF1D.jpeg

Last edited: