RokStok

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hoping the short LOP version becomes a reality, because I would love to build a 6 creed for my daughter and the shorter rokstok is the ideal stock, but mine may fit her fine too, the trigger reach makes it feel like shorter lop than it is

It may work for her as is, however you can cut the stock down as well. I’d cut it and glue a flip-flop pad on it.

RDT415

FNG
Pardon my lack of knowledge, hope you all can help me understand barrel channels. This is my first time buying a stock / putting a stock on a rifle. I would love to build a new rifle, just can’t justify the cost yet, I’d rather shoot more and go to some classes. Anyways, the one rifle I have is a Christensen Mesa chambered in 308. It’s accurate and shoots well, seems like I got lucky. It has a featherweight barrel, I ordered a RokStok with a factory sported barrel channel. From what I am reading is if I ever shoot that barrel out and decide to go with a larger profile steel or carbon barrel I would just need to sand down the channel of the stock? In retrospect I probably should have just ordered the #3 profile. At least I’m learning, I suppose -Thanks in advance.

ljalberta

WKR
Correct. I would just order sendero contour regardless of your current barrel. There’s no downside unless your really concerned about the aesthetics of your rifle and the barrel to barrel channel ratio. If they haven’t shipped your stock you could always request a change.

It has a featherweight barrel, I ordered a RokStok with a factory sported barrel channel.
You made the correct decision to order the sporter inlet. The only adaptation needed has to do with the length and taper where the breech sits in the channel. That can be fixed in 3 minutes with a wrench socket wrapped in 120 grit sandpaper.

The BM5/Ace3 contours are too beefy (too much inlet space in relation to barrel diameter), a Sendero inlet is way too beefy.

What negative effects have you seen with larger barrel spacing?

I'm supposing that RDT415 cares whether his new stock will fit his barreled action. You appear to suppose that he should care less.

The negative effect, and potential consequence you don't have to pay for, is that you're offering bad advice.

RDT415 noted he has a steel featherlight barrel, which is approx Douglas 2 sporter and grossly disproportionate to a Sendero channel. Just visualize a steel barrel contour that tapers .75" to .55" sitting in a 1.20" barrel channel. Gaps are OK till they are not.

RDT415: Tonight I'll PM a photo of a #3 in a Sendero channel.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm supposing that RDT415 cares whether his new stock will fit his barreled action. You appear to suppose that he should care less.

The negative effect, and potential consequence you don't have to pay for, is that you're offering bad advice.

RDT415 noted he has a steel featherlight barrel, which is approx Douglas 2 sporter and grossly disproportionate to a Sendero channel. Just visualize a steel barrel contour that tapers .75" to .55" sitting in a 1.20" barrel channel. Gaps are OK till they are not.

RDT415: Tonight I'll PM a photo of a #3 in a Sendero channel.
We know what they look like. We're interested in what you perceive as downsides, other than aesthetics.

-J

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
There are negative effects in a carbon fiber stock to the barrel channel being “perfect.”

There are zero negatives in a barrel channel being too big.
What are the negatives of the stock actually fitting without having gigantic spacings between the barrel and stock? Honest question.
In my opinion there are negatives to having too much space in the barrel channel (besides looking like shit). Depending on the type of hunting that a person does, you can get dirt, sticks, leaves and all kinds of crap inside the barrel channel. I have a Rokstok on order, and I would hope that it would actually fit my barrel and action. Seems like a lot of folks on here don't care about looks and fit on these stocks. I'm not one of them.

Didn't we have this dead cats vs Min clearance without possible contact conversation already in this thread?

I'm all for doing away with the idea of barrel channels period a la manners LRH and PH. Shit that works with everything rather than needing to be custom fit based on what barrel is going on next.

RDT415

FNG
II am certainly after function and would not mind a larger gap in the barrel channel of the stock so long as its not a "hot dog in a hallway" which sounds like my featherweight in the Sendero profile would be and slightly less with the #3. I've got about 300 rounds or so through the OEM featherweight and being a 308 I imagine I have plenty of life left in the barrel, but would rebarrel with a larger contour in the future. The featherweight heats up quick at the range.

I am guessing I can open up / sand the barrel channel in the future if I wanted to rebarrel with a slightly larger contour/profile or if planning to go with a larger barrel see if I can request a change to the #3 channel. Either way both channels will fit what I got at the moment without sacrificing performance etc. Thank you all for the replies/advice It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
II am certainly after function and would not mind a larger gap in the barrel channel of the stock so long as its not a "hot dog in a hallway" which sounds like my featherweight in the Sendero profile would be and slightly less with the #3. I've got about 300 rounds or so through the OEM featherweight and being a 308 I imagine I have plenty of life left in the barrel, but would rebarrel with a larger contour in the future. The featherweight heats up quick at the range.

I am guessing I can open up / sand the barrel channel in the future if I wanted to rebarrel with a slightly larger contour/profile or if planning to go with a larger barrel see if I can request a change to the #3 channel. Either way both channels will fit what I got at the moment. Thank you all for the replies/advice It is greatly appreciated.
That's a smart approach. Thanks for responding.

Lawnboi

WKR
What are the negatives of the stock actually fitting without having gigantic spacings between the barrel and stock? Honest question.
In my opinion there are negatives to having too much space in the barrel channel (besides looking like shit). Depending on the type of hunting that a person does, you can get dirt, sticks, leaves and all kinds of crap inside the barrel channel. I have a Rokstok on order, and I would hope that it would actually fit my barrel and action. Seems like a lot of folks on here don't care about looks and fit on these stocks. I'm not one of them.
Couple things.

-These stocks are made of plastic and carbon, they flex. All of them do. I don’t want any flex or torque that i may be forced to put into the stock to effect the barrels free float.

- More gap is 1000x better when it comes from to clearing or diagnosing debris in your stock. I can clear it with paracord if stuff is jammed in there. The only way to find out something is in your tight barrel channel is pulling the barreled action.

- Not paying more money when it’s time for a rebates and tolerances don’t stack in your favor.

There is only negatives to a tight fitting barrel channel when speaking of performance only, which is about all that matters to me in a rifle.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Well one is it's harder to get shit out. If the fits like a hotdog in a hallway, inspection and removal of debris and is easy without disassembly. Whereas "perfect" means it's both difficult to check and likely requires disassembly as its tight enough to get stuff wedged in. Probably less of an issue with a plastic stock that's hollow but in a composite stock the debris can't fall down away from the barrel. Also if you like aesthetics why the rokstok it's fugly (OK maybe less so now I've looked at a tonne of photos). Dont have to go full sendero but going 3b seems appropriate.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Well one is it's harder to get shit out. If the fits like a hotdog in a hallway, inspection and removal of debris and is easy without disassembly. Whereas "perfect" means it's both difficult to check and likely requires disassembly as its tight enough to get stuff wedged in. Probably less of an issue with a plastic stock that's hollow but in a composite stock the debris can't fall down away from the barrel. Also if you like aesthetics why the rokstok it's fugly (OK maybe less so now I've looked at a tonne of photos). Dont have to go full sendero but going 3b seems appropriate.
There's obviously some different opinions and points of view on this subject. I don't have to have the prettiest gun on the mountain, but I just can't get into the "dead cat" mentality. And by the way, I actually think the Rokstok looks pretty cool. Especially with some of the cerakote jobs that I've seen on them.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Debris gets out of a big gap as easy as they get in. After a season of hunting my dad’s kimber with near zero gap was packed full of crap and nobody could even see it until the stock was removed. My tikka sporter in a sendero inlet had 2 pine needles in it. Both rifles lived in the same environment with mine spending half again the time in the field as his. Lots of dust, mud, brush, and leaves in our hunting and our rifles get plain abused both of us cleaned out the obvious debris sticking out through out the season but in the end the smaller gap was more of an issue. I will stick a pencil barrel in a sendero inlet every time.

lak2004

WKR
Here is a 3b contour stock with a factory tikka sporter barrel. Plenty of room but not excessive. If I go with a different contour when I rebarrel, I'll open it more if needed. Looks fine to me.

d23796bcb6765a4544e2ea4e497f18cf.jpg
874c8dbc38650d179d285c30fe835baf.jpg
b792cf2e6c647f548efa7c4495e9cb88.jpg