Rokstok vs HNT 26: A Hike & Shoot Review

I arranged a Hike & Shoot with fellow Rokslider’s @Marty and @Marbles in the local mountains yesterday.

IMG_3843.jpeg

With their families in tow, we started hiking into the Alpine to my favorite long range shooting area.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3832.jpeg

The wind was ripping. 12-20 mph with gusts to 30. We engaged steel plates at 450-1000+

Marbles with his .243 Tikka Rokstok/AB Raptor 8

Marty with his 7 PRC Element 4.0 /Banish Backcountry

and I with my 6 CM HNT 26 / Scythe-Ti

IMG_3835.jpegIMG_5727.jpeg

The Rokstok is beautiful in person, in a functional Rokslider type of way.
We all swapped rifles multiple times and shot in a large variety of field positions for a total of appx 150 rounds.

IMG_3847.jpegIMG_3854.jpeg

Example below of where the HNT 26 on a tripod can be used to build a very good shooting position in difficult terrain. Multiple first round hits were fired from here at 750-850 yards.
IMG_5724.jpegIMG_3862.jpegIMG_3849.jpeg

The natural feel of the Rokstok is very good. I’ve always loved the Clymr and this is just that much better. The length of pull is just fine for my 5’6” shorter stature and reach. This is something I was concerned about. Non issue like @Formidilosus said.

The negative come feels nice, but with such a light recoiling cartridge, I’m not sure I really felt like it was making a difference in spotting my shots compared to the HNT 26.

A 40 lb 6 yr old girl and a 10 ft lb recoiling gun in the Rokstok.

My 8 lb 6 CM, including Scythe-Ti. Barnes 112 Match Burner’s going 2950 fps from the 18” barrel.

This Rokstok had the Pic/Spartan fore end. I attached it to my RRS tripod for a number of shots. Being so far out towards the muzzle, it was a bit of a reach to control the head.

My Takeaway’s:

For the hunting I do, the HNT 26 wins out over the Rokstok in 2 key areas:

Many of the positions I shoot from, and have killed sheep in ( 8 now) , are made possible by the use of a tripod set up in terrain that would make it very difficult or even impossible without one. Ie. Shooting away from a steep slope. The full length Arca fore end on the HNT 26 is fantastic for this.

The folding ability of the stock is very useful for having it strapped to the pack while bushwhacking in Alaskan brush, alders and deadfall. IYKYK

Suppressors:
Scythe-Ti was the clear winner in sound suppression.

Banish Backcountry on the 7 PRC is good, but with all that extra powder, was the loudest.

AB Raptor 8 7.62 was very good, just a bit louder than the Scythe on both the 243 and 6 CM.

My AB Raptor 8 .375 was still hearing safe when tried on both smaller guns, but had a louder pop and even some muzzle flash out the end. It’s ridiculously quiet on my 9mm MP5k though. On the 338 Fed, which wasn’t here this time, it’s probably the best lightweight option available.

Thanks @Marbles and @Marty
for a great evening. Marbles, his 6 y/o daughter and I camped out there.
Our respective DCF shelters shook violently through the night as the wind gusted to 40+.
We hiked out in heavy rain this morning.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Cool comparison, thanks for posting. Scythe ti sounds pretty sweet.

Did you shoot the XLR much to compare to either the rokstock or hnt26?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK

I did not, as I was mainly interested in the Rokstok. The cold Magnesium chassis, longer LOP and heavier recoiling gun are all turn offs to me, so I’ve never shot Marty’s setup. I think Marty and Marbles switched though, so maybe they can weigh in. @Marbles @Marty

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought I replied to this, but apparently never posted it.

We had a great time and I appreciate @B_Reynolds_AK giving me an excuse to get outside in the mountains.

I did not, as I was mainly interested in the Rokstok. The cold Magnesium chassis, longer LOP and heavier recoiling gun are all turn offs to me, so I’ve never shot Marty’s setup. I think Marty and Marbles switched though, so maybe they can weigh in. @Marbles @Marty

I did not shoot @Marty 's, so cannot make a comparison, though he did shoot mine.

As I have a bad habit of over complicating and over gearing everything, I have decided to stick with a pack and trekking poles as my shooting support for the foreseeable future, so I was not looking to try the other setups.

@B_Reynolds_AK 's setup is very nice. Though I found even with a tripod I still needed to stabilize my own body. Some of it is probably just experience with the equipment, but my wobble zone was smaller in the positions using my pack than on anything other than prone with the tripod (and the two were similar there). With the light recoil the awkwardness of the positions was still manageable, I'm not sure they would be with much more than the a 243 though (I have not actually tried it with anything bigger, so just a guess).

The down side of trekking poles is now I will need to carry a dedicated tent pole.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Wow!

What an awesome day for you guys and amazing photos.

I have a question on your tripod if you don’t mind…

Have you timed from taking off pack to getting a shot off like that? That looks like an incredibly stable way to take steep slopes shots. My concern would be the time it takes to do so.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Wow!

Have you timed from taking off pack to getting a shot off like that? That looks like an incredibly stable way to take steep slopes shots. My concern would be the time it takes to do so.
The time to set up a tripod in a novel location is highly dependent on the experience of the user. I don’t necessarily time it, as each position is different, though I’m very familiar with seeing a potential shooting position and what the legs need to do to get it set up efficiently.

In any case, if it’s a 3-400 yard shot, I’m fine to improvise without using the tripod. My main purpose for it is 500+ yard shots in difficult situations. Also using it in place of a bipod when shooting prone is great when you need maximum precision for extended distances. I always have it with me anyhow for glassing, so why not utilize it for shooting.

It is a RRS Ascend-14 compact/platform with a direct mounted MA-30L (Anvil clone) head and with the lower legs removed and capped off.

IMG_3845.jpeg

z987k

WKR
Wow!

I find when shots get that long you have all the time in the world to set them up.