6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

SloppyJ

WKR
Interesting. Peterson indicates that the srp pockets are specifically for running higher pressures. I'm new to hand loading, so I don't understand enough of the why. I'll have to look into it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Their cases have less volume due to thicker brass which increases pressure all things else equal.

khuber84

WKR
Nice. I’m leaning heavily towards one of those but can’t make up my mind. Any game reports?
No reports on game yet. I just had the Saum spun up this spring. It's shooting nose ring 115dtacs at 3330-3350 pretty well with N570. The 6prc reamer doesn't have a lot of freebore 0.135 so I may shoot 105 hybrids out of that, maybe 109 lrht, or have him throat out another 40k to allow more bullet flexibility.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly my son uses it now, but I've still got this 6mm Rem 700 BDL that I got new in 1974. It's taken rockchucks, coyotes, whitetail and mule deer over the years. Most of the deer success over the past 20 years or so was with the handloaded 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. At 3100+ fps via Reloader 22 or Ramshot Hunter, it is accurate and lethal.

Photo of my son and his first deer, a muley doe at least 20 years ago when the rifle was in a "youth" stock for him. One shot at nearly 300 yards.

Bullet took out the heart and lungs and shattered the off-side fore-leg bone on the way out. Instant collapse and death. That set the tone for his hunts with this good old rifle. He's a grown man now and seems to think that rifle is his. Kids....

Here's a young buck he took recently. Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip at 137 yards after a careful stalk:

The 6mm Rem continues to do a fine job for us after fifty years...

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Mostly my son uses it now, but I've still got this 6mm Rem 700 BDL that I got new in 1974. It's taken rockchucks, coyotes, whitetail and mule deer over the years. Most of the deer success over the past 20 years or so was with the handloaded 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. At 3100+ fps via Reloader 22 or Ramshot Hunter, it is accurate and lethal.

Photo of my son and his first deer, a muley doe at least 20 years ago when the rifle was in a "youth" stock for him. One shot at nearly 300 yards.

Bullet took out the heart and lungs and shattered the off-side fore-leg bone on the way out. Instant collapse and death. That set the tone for his hunts with this good old rifle. He's a grown man now and seems to think that rifle is his. Kids....

Here's a young buck he took recently. Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip at 137 yards after a careful stalk:

The 6mm Rem continues to do a fine job for us after fifty years...

Regards, Guy
That’s awesome

Reactions: Guy
Interesting. Peterson indicates that the srp pockets are specifically for running higher pressures. I'm new to hand loading, so I don't understand enough of the why. I'll have to look into it.

Specifically preferred by people running higher pressures. Smaller diameter primer pocket = more brass around the primer pocket = more firings with high pressure loads before primer pockets get loose.

Doodle

FNG
No reports on game yet. I just had the Saum spun up this spring. It's shooting nose ring 115dtacs at 3330-3350 pretty well with N570. The 6prc reamer doesn't have a lot of freebore 0.135 so I may shoot 105 hybrids out of that, maybe 109 lrht, or have him throat out another 40k to allow more bullet flexibility.
Right on. Given my location (California) I’ll be running the heavier hammers or one of the other non-lead options. Gonna need a long throat I think, but a 104 grain hammer at an easy 3400 sounds pretty legit.

Im in the same boat, trying to decide on what case to use for a new 6mm.

Savage 110 long action.
I have .243w cases & 6.5cm in large and small primer. I can fit a 3.4 COAL. i want to keep shooting 108 Elites.
Im figuring a 24" barrel, like varmit contour.
The issue is:
1. 243w brass grows so it needs trimming. i hate that. only downside for me.
2. 243 AI fixes the growth issue, but creates 2 others. i heard they dont feed as well & sizing die options are limited and more expensive.
3. 6mm creedmoor - i read somewhere you can still use .243w brass and just fireform. 6.5 brass will need neck trimming i believe i read. cheap FL die from lee available. slightly less powder space, but maybe 50fps difference under the winchester?

thoughts?

SloppyJ

WKR

Savage 110 long action.
I have .243w cases & 6.5cm in large and small primer. I can fit a 3.4 COAL. i want to keep shooting 108 Elites.
The issue is:
2. 243 AI fixes the growth issue, but creates 2 others. i heard they dont feed as well & sizing die options are limited and more expensive.
3. 6mm creedmoor - i read somewhere you can still use .243w brass and just fireform. 6.5 brass will need neck trimming i believe i read. cheap FL die from lee available. slightly less powder space, but maybe 50fps difference under the winchester?

thoughts?

6-284 norma?

6-284 norma?
i would rather not buy new brass. isnt that an even larger case? i dont need more than 3000fps. i have 2900fps now from a 20" barrel AR.

hell, the savage is in 7mm rem mag now, i think thats called a mach VI or something lmao proper barrel burner.

i would rather not buy new brass. isnt that an even larger case? i dont need more than 3000fps. i have 2900fps now from a 20" barrel AR.

hell, the savage is in 7mm rem mag now, i think thats called a mach VI or something lmao proper barrel burner.
You can run the 284 case in a short action but it severely handicaps it with heavy for class bullets. A medium or even long action seem to be what most people are doing in the 284 cases. But man, that thing will sling some lead down range. I’m prepping components for some sort of 284 hammah!!

khuber84

WKR

Savage 110 long action.
The issue is:

thoughts?
6x284 would be perfect in that 3.4" mag box. Necking down 6.5x284 lapua would be easy as well. Idk how that'd feed but I know savage has produced 6.5x284 rifles.

letrbuck

WKR
Anyone have a 6 swede ackley? Will be ordering a barrel soon and fighting between cool factor and easy button. 6 creed easy button will likely win but a 6 swede AI or 6-284 both give me the warm and fuzzies...

I looked into the 264 Win Mag since I have a die for it and I have 7 mm brass, however it doesn't gain very much according to hodgon's data for the amount of powder increase. On paper it doesn't really seem like it would beat out 7 mm by very much at all and it's more overbore. My concern with 284 basically ends up being the same way.

It looks like 284 brass is kind of hard to come by but boy is it also expensive. 6-284 data is just like 264wm. 26" barrel but the papers say its not much faster at all than 7mm with the same weight bullet, and in some cases slower than a 24" 7mm with a heavier bullet. Case of marketing to sell the new wiz bang cartridges?

It looks like 284 brass is kind of hard to come by but boy is it also expensive. 6-284 data is just like 264wm. 26" barrel but the papers say its not much faster at all than 7mm with the same weight bullet, and in some cases slower than a 24" 7mm with a heavier bullet. Case of marketing to sell the new wiz bang cartridges?
I have not looked at 264wm data in a long while but almost all of what I remember was with slow twists and lighter bullets. Did you look at any data that was running 7-7.5 twists and 140-156g bullets? I’m not talking manufacturer data but real world data that people are shooting in their rifles? I seem to remember real world data was much more impressive but again it’s been a long while.