Rokslide Approved LPVO?

I saw form was working on reviews for two LPVOs, but wanted to know what the general consensus was on a reliable optic. Would prefer 1-6 or 1-8, but a 1-4 would work. Seems like guys don’t like the swfa lpvo as much as SWFAs other optics. Definitely looking for under 1000, but preferably around 500.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 1-6 was the ticket. 1-4 hasn't done as well.

The issues with most LPVO's now is the reticles are more designed for 3-gun than for hunting. S&B has the good ones, but not in the price range you listed.

slowelk

WKR
How about a trijicon credo 1-8 with the segmented circle reticle?

NX8 over the Atacr?

I guess I didn't acknowledge the budget restrictions of OP. What if budget isn't a restriction?

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, the reticle options on a lot of these seem questionable to me for a hunting optic. Not much chance to look through them, either. The accupoint 1-6 is one of the only lower-magnification scopes I know of with a basic, BOLD hunting reticle. I hear those are pretty good, but I wonder about durability of the wire reticle having had scope problems in the past (not w trijicon, just in general).

TxLite

WKR
I like my Steiner p4xi 1-4 and razor gen 2e 1-6. I haven’t been extensively brutal with them but I’ve done a few side drops onto hard compacted soil from mid-thigh height and they’ve both held zero for me. Neither are being dialed, but both are hunted with out to 250 yards. I paid $479 for the Steiner with a throw lever several years ago.

I have used a Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6 pretty extensively over the last 3 years. I have not done a super scientific drop test but have been through numerous carbine classes, matches and banging around the woods. Im hard on gear and do not baby my tools. I have had zero issues with it and has always held zero. The BDC marks line up great out of my gun with both 55gr pmc and 77 grain SMK. The 1x magnification is as close to a true 1x I have seen on a LPVO (large eye box, minimal scope shadow etc). Not quite red dot 1x, but as close as any I have looked through (nightforce, eotech, trijicon, PA).
Im not a huge Vortex fan but they got it right with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBR Sarge

FNG
I have the Trijicon 1-8 that slowelk mentioned and it is a great optic. Clear, robust, firm tactile adjustments and holds zero well.

I also have a Burris RT-6 that, while not on par with the Trijicon, is wonderful, especially considering its low price. Cabelas has them, with a PEPR mount, for <$400. And, it is made in the Philippines, not China.

slowelk

WKR
I have the Trijicon 1-8 that slowelk mentioned and it is a great optic. Clear, robust, firm tactile adjustments and holds zero well.

I also have a Burris RT-6 that, while not on par with the Trijicon, is wonderful, especially considering its low price. Cabelas has them, with a PEPR mount, for <$400. And, it is made in the Philippines, not China.

That trijicon is what I have right now. There is quite a bit to like about it, except the weight, and that the reticle doesn’t allow holdover plus a wind hold.

I think the reticle in the Atacr is ideal, but I wish it had an uncapped turret.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I saw form was working on reviews for two LPVOs, but wanted to know what the general consensus was on a reliable optic. Would prefer 1-6 or 1-8, but a 1-4 would work. Seems like guys don’t like the swfa lpvo as much as SWFAs other optics. Definitely looking for under 1000, but preferably around 500.
I’m a big fan of my Trijicon accupoint 1-6 mounted in my SFAR. They come in a variety of reticle options (mil dot, moa, etc). I have the green triangle and love it for 300 yds and in.

As far as glass and features go, most folks consider the Vortex Razor LPVO to be the gold standard. The NFs have poor eye boxes comparatively. However, don’t think I’ve seen any true drop test comparisons of the Vortex against NF, Trijicon, etc.

I am a huge fan of my NF NX8 1-8x for my go to LVPO. I have had if for several years now and have had no complaints. I did an accidental drop test a few years ago, it fell 30' out of a ladder stand onto the scope. I retrieve the rifle and saw no visible damage so I climbed back up and hoped for the best. Shot a nice doe about 30 minutes later. We got home mid afternoon and I checked the zero, no change there. I haven't had any issue since then either.

I don't find any eyebox issues with the NX8 like some folks do. I actually like the reticle for hunting even though that isn't what its designed for. Sometimes you just have to figure out how to make it work.

I do love the Nightforce NX8 with the MOA Reticle. I use the NX8 2.5-20 and the 4-32 on my other "good " hunting rifles. I like that the reticle uses the MOA hashmarks, and it is like using my other scopes. That being said, I just won a Ruger American Gen 2 in 450 Bushmaster, there is no way I am putting a Nightforce on that. I bought an Arken 1-8 with their KLBOX reticle. The price was right, at $375. I saw that they were an advertiser on Rokslide, so I thought "why not" and ordered it up. Have yet to shoot it, but it got me thinking that I should have sent one to @Formidilosus to drop test!

Last edited:

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Though I am generally anti vortex I really like their Razor 1-6. It’s pretty durable, I’ve used mine very hard. The new Sig Tango that the army is putting on DMRs is pretty cool seeming and I’ve heard really good things.

@Formidilosus

Have you used and of the delta strykers? I like the looks of the credo 1-6 and you seem to have said they are reliable enough, but the led dot reticle that seems possibly preferable to the donut is only moa. The delta appears to be (much) the same scope but in mil which I would prefer