RMBH Habits?

Hey guys, my daughter drew an Idaho RMBH tag. I know very little about bighorn. Curious about their habits and whether they’re “patternable” or at least somewhat predictable.

Curious in particular about whether they are mostly active (similar to deer and elk) around dawn and dusk and then bed down mid day.

Are they tied to water?
What’s their home range like?

If there’s a good resource out there that I should check out, please let be know! Points in the right direction would certainly be welcome!

Thanks guys!

I was in the same boat last year. TBH I never really found a great resource online. My son drew OOS last year so we weren’t able to make the get together that many state F&G departments do, but that is probably your best bet. They usually have some combination of F&G, guides and/or outfitters, volunteers, etc to help people figure this stuff out and have a safe, fun, and legal hunt.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
I was in the same boat last year. TBH I never really found a great resource online. My son drew OOS last year so we weren’t able to make the get together that many state F&G departments do, but that is probably your best bet. They usually have some combination of F&G, guides and/or outfitters, volunteers, etc to help people figure this stuff out and have a safe, fun, and legal hunt.

Really? I’ll have to look into this. I wonder if they have the same thing in Idaho…

cbeard64

WKR
Honestly my advice is that the best ways to enhance your chances for success is to talk to those that know areas they frequent and couple that with on-the-ground scouting.

Sheep and goat hunts are much different than deer and elk hunts. The key is finding them and then making a plan from there.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Honestly my advice is that the best ways to enhance your chances for success is to talk to those that know areas they frequent and couple that with on-the-ground scouting.

Sheep and goat hunts are much different than deer and elk hunts. The key is finding them and then making a plan from there.

Right on thanks man. I’ve talked to a couple guys with knowledge but you’re right. Boot leather time.

wytx

WKR
Yes you can pattern them. They will water at the same spot until bothered and like to bed where they feel safe.
At least that is what I saw when hunting my BH.