RIP XV experience? (Other light gpi suggestions)

Zac

WKR
Your always going to sacrifice durability for the ultra light weight shafts. Maybe the only exception to this is the GT Ultralight.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't had an issue with them, to be honest. They're a little more fragile, but I'm running a 300 XV with brass hit and a gold tip quantum black label 400 collar which fits perfectly, and it's held up to shooting into plywood from a 70# Athens elevate.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Haven't had an issue with them, to be honest. They're a little more fragile, but I'm running a 300 XV with brass hit and a gold tip quantum black label 400 collar which fits perfectly, and it's held up to shooting into plywood from a 70# Athens elevate.
I always thought that collar had threads in it? It's similar to an Ironwill collar then?

ShakeDown

WKR
I shot the Easton Hexx shafts for a year in 330. I liked them but had to cut them very short. I am back to a 5mm shaft. The 400s are 7.2 gpi and the 330s are 7.9.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Following this discussion as I am contemplating building a set of Sirius Gemini’s once my new bow gets here.

9.31 GPI for 200 spine is pretty impressive but even if my Sirius Orions are tough as nails I’m concerned with durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been shooting some XV 300s for a short time. Not issues yet, but the wall is noticeably thinner than an axis 300. I don’t expect them to be as tough, but I had these 6 shafts given to me, so I’m tinkering with them.

27.5 ctc
75 gr brass hit
10 gr IW collar
125gr head

405gr total. No idea the foc, that’s the best I can do with components on hand.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
It took a very long time for the 400 spine RipXV that we ordered to show up; I'll pick them up today.

I did find some 3dHV shafts on archerytalk for about half price, so we will see how much, if any, influence the unibushing has on things.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If all you're looking for is a 6gpp arrow for your 70lbs, you can get that out of the RIP TKO's, and have a much more durable arrow doing that.

So far the RIP XVs have been great for me. I shoot the 300 spine cut to 27" with a Gold Tip Airstrike 70 grain stainless insert. They come in at 375 grains with a 85 grain point.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
If all you're looking for is a 6gpp arrow for your 70lbs, you can get that out of the RIP TKO's, and have a much more durable arrow doing that.

More so for the 53-55lbs @KickinNDishin is drawing. I ended up with some Vtac23s because my 550gr arrows are coming out at 279fps and that seems like plenty. With the 23 size I can maybe pick up a few points here and there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man, wish I had seen this thread earlier. I've got a bunch of GT Velocity Hunter 400s sitting around, as well as some PSE Radial X Weave 200s, which are a .429 spine. Just leftover stock from when I had my archery shop. Nothing light that spines out for your bow though lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Prestjd

FNG
I bought 2 dozen 400 spine Rip XVs for my wife. In 2 weeks she has broken 3, 1 on leg of rinehart coyote, other 2 where cracked at nock from impact. I feel we are about to try something else.
Arrows are about 407 grain.
She's shooting a 50lb hoyt elcipse at 28" draw. She's been shooting 80 and wanting to stretch out past 100 before next spring.

Bump79

WKR
Element Storm (they just ended a 35% off sale) & X-Impacts in 300 spine or stiffer area very durable. I never break a shaft that isn't completely reasonable. 8.1 GPI for these.

Killin Stix Micro LT or Sirius (if you feel like wasting money for the likely same product) would fit the same modulus.

For hunting I'd be super hesitant to shoot a shaft less than 8.1 GPI in .204 or larger ID. It's not not worth the squeeze for speed. Everything is a trade off in archery - durability in this case.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
As a follow up; I purchased a dozen RIP XV’s and three Sirius Geminis shortly after reading this post and there is a dramatic difference in durability between them. Of the dozen XV’s I purchased, 10 have broken through normal use (3D and nock hits) while all three Gemini’s are still intact, despite the labeling being almost worn off.

One other random note; despite the slight difference in GPI there is no perceivable difference in POI out to 100 yards even shooting a 30.5” C2C arrow.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
As a follow up; I purchased a dozen RIP XV’s and three Sirius Geminis shortly after reading this post and there is a dramatic difference in durability between them. Of the dozen XV’s I purchased, 10 have broken through normal use (3D and nock hits) while all three Gemini’s are still intact, despite the labeling being almost worn off.

One other random note; despite the slight difference in GPI there is no perceivable difference in POI out to 100 yards even shooting a 30.5” C2C arrow.

What inserts are you using?

What is the total arrow weight for each brand?

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Rip XV 250: 501.9g TAW, 30.5” C2C, Victory stainless 75g insert/half out, 150g FP, 3 2.75 TAC driver vanes, AAE Nock.

Gemini 250: 513.1g TAW, 30.5” C2C, Ethics HIT/Collar 75g, 150g FP, 3 2.75 TAC driver vanes, AAE Nock.

For context, I shoot a Hoyt RX7 Ultra with 80lb limbs and a 31.5” DL so I might be towards the higher end of the KE which the arrows are designed to handle. With that said the breaks on the XV’s were predominately from nock taps which resulted in pretty strange breaks (pictured below), impacting hard parts in 3D targets, and a couple broke hitting the ground under 3D targets while finalizing my sight tape (clean breaks about 1/3 of the way up the arrow).

c940ad5ae82761b14a5922d9187fd7e9.jpg

The picture below is an 80 yard group during the tuning process. As you can see the Gemini impacts with the XV despite being 11g heavier.

7625b295382b3ca75d3b9acfbd0e5024.jpg

The Gemini’s didn’t break under the exact same circumstances. In fact, I had to dig them out of the ground a few times during the sighting in process, and they suffered no damage aside from a little peeling of the small turbulators I was experimenting with.

My personal conclusion is that the Gemini is a vastly superior arrow. The increased cost makes the value proposition a very personal decision however.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Rip XV 250: 501.9g TAW, 30.5” C2C, Victory stainless 75g insert/half out, 150g FP, 3 2.75 TAC driver vanes, AAE Nock.

Gemini 250: 513.1g TAW, 30.5” C2C, Ethics HIT/Collar 75g, 150g FP, 3 2.75 TAC driver vanes, AAE Nock.

For context, I shoot a Hoyt RX7 Ultra with 80lb limbs and a 31.5” DL so I might be towards the higher end of the KE which the arrows are designed to handle. With that said the breaks on the XV’s were predominately from nock taps which resulted in pretty strange breaks (pictured below), impacting hard parts in 3D targets, and a couple broke hitting the ground under 3D targets while finalizing my sight tape (clean breaks about 1/3 of the way up the arrow).

c940ad5ae82761b14a5922d9187fd7e9.jpg

The picture below is an 80 yard group during the tuning process. As you can see the Gemini impacts with the XV despite being 11g heavier.

7625b295382b3ca75d3b9acfbd0e5024.jpg

The Gemini’s didn’t break under the exact same circumstances. In fact, I had to dig them out of the ground a few times during the sighting in process, and they suffered no damage aside from a little peeling of the small turbulators I was experimenting with.

My personal conclusion is that the Gemini is a vastly superior arrow. The increased cost makes the value proposition a very personal decision however.

I think your results in similar POI with the 11gr difference isn't surprising. I've always believed you need a pretty big cup in mass/velocity to see a noticeable change down range.

@KickinNDishin has broke a few of the XVs but I can't say that any were surprises or that her Pierce shafts would have faired any different. We have gone to nock collars/bushings on all arrows though because of slapping arrows together.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
I think your results in similar POI with the 11gr difference isn't surprising. I've always believed you need a pretty big cup in mass/velocity to see a noticeable change down range.

@KickinNDishin has broke a few of the XVs but I can't say that any were surprises or that her Pierce shafts would have faired any different. We have gone to nock collars/bushings on all arrows though because of slapping arrows together.

Nock collars are next on my “to do” list for the same reason.

Well, durability and the fact that adding 10g to the tail will match the weight of my practice arrows with my hunting arrows which include a lighted nock.