RIP XV experience? (Other light gpi suggestions)

sndmn11

WKR
I am interested in feedback on the Rip XV, or alternate light GPI shafts. I'd prefer .204 ID, but .246 would be ok. 6 grains per pound of draw weight, total arrow weights, would be fun. I don't want to buy shafts and they break on 3d targets that are well aged, hard, etc.

Both @KickinNDishin and myself are shooting pierce shafts, ethics insert/outsert with 125gr tips. I am 544gr at 70lbs, she is 510gr at 55lbs, and we would likely need 300 and 400/500spine. I plan to use a HIT and lightweight collar whether from Easton/ethics/iron will whomever. I'd imagine a .246 shaft would be fine with whatever factory insert they come with.

The intention for these is a pronghorn arrow, some testing for a review, winning more 3d, etc. We can surely shoot elk with the arrows we have.

Bump79

WKR
I can't speak for the RIP XV but I've been shooting X-Impact or Element Storm in 300 spine for several years and have been thoroughly impressed by the durability.

JStol5

WKR
I think gold tip airstrikes May be a good fit for a .204 arrow. Mid 8 GPI in a 300 spine. Should work with a HIT and collar system.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I think gold tip airstrikes May be a good fit for a .204 arrow. Mid 8 GPI in a 300 spine. Should work with a HIT and collar system.

That's choice two I believe. If the feedback was glaringly negative for the Rip XV, the airstrike is a viable option. If I learned the XV was fine except when you miss, I'd give them a try.

Aren't those the same shafts as the 3DHV? I know several guys who use those shafts, all with glue in target points. Don't see durability issues with them as a target shaft, don't know if I'd be crazy about putting a hit in them and hunting, tho probably fine with a .300 spine.

Haven't shot them myself, not much into .204 shafts.

For old 3d targets, and a lot of targets in general I find that you don't want to mess with collars and such.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Aren't those the same shafts as the 3DHV? I know several guys who use those shafts, all with glue in target points. Don't see durability issues with them as a target shaft, don't know if I'd be crazy about putting a hit in them and hunting, tho probably fine with a .300 spine.

Haven't shot them myself, not much into .204 shafts.

For old 3d targets, and a lot of targets in general I find that you don't want to mess with collars and such.

From the specs they appear to be the same as the 3DHV.

I do greatly despise the bag targets at our club with the collars we use on the pierce currently. I haven't run into any difficulty with 3d targets and pulling arrows out. We do see some bent half outserts, which is why I'd like to move to .204 instead of .246.

Fadeaduno

FNG
I haven’t shot them myself but I have built a few sets using stock and ethics components and both friends who I built them for love them and have been very durable both in the field and 3D shoots.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I haven’t shot them myself but I have built a few sets using stock and ethics components and both friends who I built them for love them and have been very durable both in the field and 3D shoots.

The factory half out didn't seem less durable than the ethics (assuming ethics end caps/hit).

I’ve been looking at these as well after getting the rip elites. I do really like the Rip elites as they come with stainless inserts and have lower GPI than Easton Axis or other 204s I looked at. They have been amazing so far.

BigDog00

WKR
I've been going through this lately as well. I just picked up a dozen GT Black Label Quantum's I need to get built. After spinning them, I only had one that had a bit of wobble on it. Should easily straighten out once cut.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I've been going through this lately as well. I just picked up a dozen GT Black Label Quantum's I need to get built. After spinning them, I only had one that had a bit of wobble on it. Should easily straighten out once cut.

Aren't those very similar to the Airstrike?

BigDog00

WKR
Aren't those very similar to the Airstrike?
Yes, I think they are really similar, but I don't know the exact specs. My 250's are 9.3 gpi if that's any help. The airstrikes have some sort of slick coating as well that the Black Labels don't have.

Black Eagle Rampage is 8.7 grains for a 300 spine. Deep Impacts are 8.1. Then GT XTs and Maximas are very light. I think Easton has one or two arrows designed for light high foc.

Laned

WKR
I made a geardo ~33% FOC with some 300 spine RIP XV's a year or 2 ago just to see what it would it would do. I used a SS Ethics adjustable outsert system with Firenock CTI's (to add some spine). Ended up having to use an Ethics post for a 0.165/0.166 shaft to fit in the CTI with a sleeve that fit the OD of the XV. The arrrows haven't broken and the outsert hasn't bent. @sndmn11, I could meet you at the club or Bear Creek Lake Park sometime if you want to check them out. They're pretty short though. 25" from front of carbon to nock throat. 26" from front of outsert.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I made a geardo ~33% FOC with some 300 spine RIP XV's a year or 2 ago just to see what it would it would do. I used a SS Ethics adjustable outsert system with Firenock CTI's (to add some spine). Ended up having to use an Ethics post for a 0.165/0.166 shaft to fit in the CTI with a sleeve that fit the OD of the XV. The arrrows haven't broken and the outsert hasn't bent. @sndmn11, I could meet you at the club or Bear Creek Lake Park sometime if you want to check them out. They're pretty short though. 25" from front of carbon to nock throat. 26" from front of outsert.

What do they weigh?

Has the shaft itself shown any lack or durability? Like if you send it through a few of the well loved 3d targets at the club and rattle around off the berm.

Laned

WKR
What do they weigh?

Has the shaft itself shown any lack or durability? Like if you send it through a few of the well loved 3d targets at the club and rattle around off the berm.
Without any point weight:
377.8gn with 175gn full length Ethics outsert, 3" CTIL, and 3-fletch 2" Gateway Batwings.
396.2gn with 175gn full length Ethics outsert, 6" CTIL, and 4-fletch 1.75" Vanetec SuperSpines.
I haven't shot them at any of the 3D targets at the club. But, they have gone through a wood fence and hit the ground before. Haven't seen any signs of damage. But, I also have those CTIs in there that add wall thickness (and therefore durability and some increase in spine) to the front of the shaft. They are the lightweight CTIs though at 4gpi.

Last edited:
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Without any point weight:
377.8gn with 175gn full length Ethics outsert, 3" CTIL, and 3-fletch 2" Gateway Batwings.
396.2gn with 175gn full length Ethics outsert, 6" CTIL, and 4-fletch 1.75" Vanetec SuperSpines.
I haven't shot them at any of the 3D targets at the club. But, they have gone through a wood fence and hit the ground before. Haven't seen any signs of damage. But, I also have those CTIs in there that add wall thickness (and therefore durability and some increase in spine) to the front of the shaft. They are the lightweight CTIs though at 4gpi.

Sounds durable enough!

What you have doesn't spine out well for our bows, but the feedback is good. I have some ordered from RMSgear, so we shall see.

Laned

WKR
Haha yah, like I was saying earlier, it's definitely a geardo setup. On paper, they don't spine for me either. The CTIs are hard to factor into the calculations. Good luck playing around with those. It's always fun figuring out a new arrow setup.

I’ve been shooting them for 2 years but I want to move off them. I’ve had quite a few break for unexplained reasons or little impacts like something tipping over on them on the work bench. I test them thoroughly before each shot and I get nervous about them rolling around in my bucket.

I can get to weight and roughly same foc without lighted nocks on rip tko so I might do that( I may be wrong it’s been awhile since I checked)

I have gone through 2 dozen of the XV's. Shoot very flat and fast, but will break if you "look at them wrong"! Too bad they are so fragile because they shoot very well.