Rino GPS Pouch

Avid Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to see what everyone is using out there to attach to their backpack. Have a duplex on order and would really like to attach it to my shoulder strap. I like the Kifaru gps pouch, just not completely sure I want a zippered pouch. I really like the FHF rino pouch how its open on top and has the cord holding the GPS in, but they seem kinda pricey for just a GPS pouch. Maybe not though if there is nothing else out there like it. Just seeing my options right now.

Anyone have any experience with either the Kifaru or the FHF? Any other recommendations I am overlooking?

Here is the FHF
http://fhfgear.com/hunting/rino-gps-pouch/
Kifaru:
http://store.kifaru.net/gps-pouch-p20.aspx

RCL

WKR
I have used the FHF for a while now and really like it.
GPS stays put just fine for me.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
I have the FHF works great. Paul's stuff is bullet proof and will last well worth the cost just like your Kifaru.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the one made by Nimrod and like it because it is listed as "waterproof" and that you can attach it both to a shoulder strap or a belt. It also has a lid that gets held in place by a quarter turn lock....works for me but might not be for everyone, and the outfit is local for me.

best of luck in your decision

dotman

WKR
I've had both the Kifaru and FHF, still have the FHF. IMO the FHF is better, I think you could use the new mini pocket from Kifaru as well. The Kifaru was tight for the rino with AA battery pack and ok with lithium pack. The FHF fits the lithium better but the AA pack fits.

I wouldn't worry about the zipper on the Kifaru, you won't be unzipping it close to an animal and it stays put, the antenna will stick out and you won't fully zip it.

dotman

WKR
I bought the one made by Nimrod and like it because it is listed as "waterproof" and that you can attach it both to a shoulder strap or a belt. It also has a lid that gets held in place by a quarter turn lock....works for me but might not be for everyone, and the outfit is local for me.

best of luck in your decision

Isn't your GPS waterproof? The Rino is to 10ft or something.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't your GPS waterproof? The Rino is to 10ft or something.

yes but I hunt a lot in western wa on the coast and figured the more protection the better, plus the pouch keeps a lot of the underbrush crap off the GPS

dotman

WKR
yes but I hunt a lot in western wa on the coast and figured the more protection the better, plus the pouch keeps a lot of the underbrush crap off the GPS

I completely understand that, these things aren't cheap.

OP
A

Avid Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Waterproof usually isnt the issue here in AZ so I am not too worried about that. I didnt like the zipper aspect because I normally keep my volume rather low and having it zipped in a pocket might just muffle it that much more. Does anyone have a photo of the FHF mounted to their Kifaru? I cant seem to find a photo of the back of the FHF to see how it attaches. But it should attach to the shoulder strap fine correct?

Any photos dsclowers of your rino in the maxpedition?

dotman

WKR
It has pals webbing and the a strip of webbing to thread thru. Can pretty much mount up on anything and you could use a malice clip but it isn't needed.

Last edited:
I have been using the tactical tailor small radio pouch and it has worked really well on my duplex. I like because I can use the radio with out taking it out of the holster.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/radiopouchsmall.aspx
I cropped a couple pics with it since I'm nowhere near the pack.

Attachments

• radio 2.jpg
    radio 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 57
  • radio 1.jpg
    radio 1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
I have the HCX530. I use the factory clip on the webbing on my left strap. It locks, and i can hook and unhook it one handed. I have not had any problems in the rain with it thus far. If the rain is heavy, I will put it in my coat pocket and zip it up.

OP
A

Avid Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the tactical tailor small radio pouch and it has worked really well on my duplex. I like because I can use the radio with out taking it out of the holster.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/radiopouchsmall.aspx
I cropped a couple pics with it since I'm nowhere near the pack.

I like the looks of this one, so you're able to keep it holstered and press the talk button? Does it fit the rino with the AA battery pack do you know?

I have the rhino 130 and it fits fine but I'm unsure of the rhino 530 series with the battery pack. I'll check it out closer when I get home tomorrow. and yes I can press the talk button with it in the holster.

You will definitely be able to fit your rhino in there. It's velcro adjustable, I think I cold adjust it big enough to fit a soda can in there. So that's even better. You will be able to adjust the fit to perfectly hold your radio with no slop.