Anybody actually use the Kifaru large belt pouch on their belt?

Kifaru is closing out some of their coyote brown items, so I ordered the large belt pouch. I have used the medium pouch on my belt to stuff gloves and things in, but do any of you actually use the large belt pouch on the belt?
Seems like it might be pretty big to have on a hip, but it is handy to be able to fish gloves and hats out of the pouches while hiking in cold weather. Anybody using it this way?

I’ve gone back and forth with the medium and large on my belt and always come back to the medium being the best fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
I use the large to keep my spartan bipod or ultralight wiggys waders in depending on the hunt, otherwise I use the medium. I think the medium is a touch snug for my short starter and extra loads when muzzleloader hunting so that could be another use for the large.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I have a medium on the right side of my hip belt that I keep a head lamp, small grunt tube and a small set of 10x25 binoculars in, along with a water bottle pocket on the right side . I have a large on the left side that is kind of a catch all for different things. Take of my gloves to focus my binoculars, gloves go in the large pouch so I don’t loose them. Get too warm while walking, beanie goes in the large pocket. Find something cool on the ground that I want to show my kids, goes in the large pocket. Definitely not with the ultralight way of thinking, but I use mine a lot.
Thanks. -Rufus

OP
WildNevada
I have a medium on the right side of my hip belt that I keep a head lamp, small grunt tube and a small set of 10x25 binoculars in, along with a water bottle pocket on the right side . I have a large on the left side that is kind of a catch all for different things. Take of my gloves to focus my binoculars, gloves go in the large pouch so I don’t loose them. Get too warm while walking, beanie goes in the large pocket. Find something cool on the ground that I want to show my kids, goes in the large pocket. Definitely not with the ultralight way of thinking, but I use mine a lot.
Thanks. -Rufus
It is really convenient to be able to stow things while you walk and not have to take a backpack on and off.

I have tried it, with a set of binos in it, but it just got in the way. In fact, I have come to realize that I don’t like anything on my waist belt.

strongarm

FNG
@WildNevada I’ve used each size Kifaru pouch on the belt itself. Small and medium are ideal. Large does work but falls pretty low below the belt.

Out of all 4 sizes…don’t forget the utilitarian Mini…I definitely use medium most frequently because it falls basically even with the bottom of the belt. It’s the most natural fit, if you will.

I’ve found my patience with the large is highly dependent a couple things. First is the terrain I’m tackling. If technical, steep, or bushwhacking, the greater the annoyance factor of the large because my quads hit the bottom of the pouch during high steps and exaggerated movements. If improved trails or gentle slopes, it’s less of an issue. Second is the payload/need for the payload. Hard to beat the quick access to whatever is needed and sometimes a large is all that will cut for the items. Another factor is placement on the belt. The farther back you can get the large, the less intrusive it is during movement as opposed to the large in a more forward position (which happens if running a water bottle pocket + belt pouch on the same side).

Even though the medium is my go-to on the belt a vast majority of the time, the room of a large is appreciated at select times. Your example of cold weather is a good one…thick gloves, balaclavas, neck gaiters are much easier to stow in the capacity of the large. Those same things in a medium or small can actually feel larger on the waist in a smaller pouch as they become more “bulbous” when overstuffed.

I prefer using belt pouches as I don’t need to doff the pack as much for quick access items. Not only does this save time, but less I have to doff the pack, the less I have to think about the suck of a loaded pack when putting it back on…

I use the large Waterproof pouch and have it mounted over to of my holster. I use it as a catch all for my stuff that I want access to without taking off my Pack or while hiking The holster pushes it out far enough that I don't havre issues with rubbing. I use a medium on the outside of my pack as a quick access med kit.

ozyclint

WKR
Large and small pouches on my belt. DSLR camera in the large plus extra lens sometimes. small pouch gets compass, head torch, GPS, Inreach, Pocket knife, Phone if I have it with me.

OP
WildNevada
@WildNevada I’ve used each size Kifaru pouch on the belt itself. Small and medium are ideal. Large does work but falls pretty low below the belt.

Out of all 4 sizes…don’t forget the utilitarian Mini…I definitely use medium most frequently because it falls basically even with the bottom of the belt. It’s the most natural fit, if you will.

I’ve found my patience with the large is highly dependent a couple things. First is the terrain I’m tackling. If technical, steep, or bushwhacking, the greater the annoyance factor of the large because my quads hit the bottom of the pouch during high steps and exaggerated movements. If improved trails or gentle slopes, it’s less of an issue. Second is the payload/need for the payload. Hard to beat the quick access to whatever is needed and sometimes a large is all that will cut for the items. Another factor is placement on the belt. The farther back you can get the large, the less intrusive it is during movement as opposed to the large in a more forward position (which happens if running a water bottle pocket + belt pouch on the same side).

Even though the medium is my go-to on the belt a vast majority of the time, the room of a large is appreciated at select times. Your example of cold weather is a good one…thick gloves, balaclavas, neck gaiters are much easier to stow in the capacity of the large. Those same things in a medium or small can actually feel larger on the waist in a smaller pouch as they become more “bulbous” when overstuffed.

I prefer using belt pouches as I don’t need to doff the pack as much for quick access items. Not only does this save time, but less I have to doff the pack, the less I have to think about the suck of a loaded pack when putting it back on…
That all sounds pretty reasonable. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes. I have large on both sides and glad I went with them on my Hoodlum. My pistola fits perfect in the right side with a couple other small items on occasion, and my mapping and communication technology fit perfectly on the left.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the large pouch on my guide lid and also on my tree saddle as it fits 40ft 9mm rope and a madrock safeguard, it's a big pouch.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The medium pocket is like an extra large from most of the other manufacturers- it's really (really) roomy-- no need to go bigger imho. It's big enough that I only have one on my belt, put a Nagene holder on the other side.

Muttly

WKR
Usually run medium pouches on the packs. Have an omni belt inbound, figure run a doggo waist belt leash through it. Have a claymore pouch never did figure out what to do with, gonna see if I can hook that on to the belt, have a little carrying capacity.