Rifle elk hunting gear recommendations

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm gearing up for my 2018 guided Idaho elk combo hunt. What are your guys favorite packs, hunting clothing, calls, knives, etc. please recommend all your favorite gear everything from binoculars to packs to socks. Thanks for all the help and putting up with all my posts. And also do you guys recommend a heavy 2 or 3 in 1 parka or a waterproof jacket like kuiu or Sitka with layering underneath? Thanks

Most gear is about personal preference, different packs and clothes fit people differently depending on their body shape. That being said, most of my clothing is from Kuiu and for packs, I’ve gone with kifaru and stone glacier, seems like the kifaru fulcrum on the tactical frame would be hard to beat for elk.

Tagged as I have some great whitetail gear from FL, and Sitka and a little Kuiu I hope to use out west.

I know the active miles on the hoof is quite different than treestand hunting :).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pants, shirt, long underwear, coat, rain gear and a good pair of boots. After that it just depends on what kind of money you want to spend. More elk get killed every year buy the camo shirt jean wearing crowd then the fancy brand wearing boys. Start with a good pair of boots and a decent pack that fits as these two items are the most important and build from there.

What does your outfitter recommend? He'll have a list for the season you are hunting.

Horseback or on foot? Don't need a meat hauler for a horseback hunt most of the time. Just a good 2500ci day pack.

Rifle or archery?

I like to mix and match based on temp. The name brands have a few items I like, and a lot I don't. Don't focus on a brand. Focus on getting each piece that works for you. Sitka made gear that worked for their testers as did Kuiu. If you didn't test it, it may not work for you. I wouldn't do a 3-1 parka unless it was going to be near 0 temps. Too hot, and they are heavy. Camo is overrated. Earthtone solids are just as good. On most rifle hunts, you get to wear orange anyway.

Critical items. Boots, socks, optics, rifle. Boots should have 50 rough miles on them to be considered broken in. Real hiking miles, not town, at home, in the yard, at work miles. Search for good brands on the forum. I like Darn Tough and Lorpen socks. Anything Leica and Swaro make at any price level are solid optics. Meopta is probably the sleeper of the optics world. Great for the money. Vortex mid to high are good as are Nikon's Monarch lines if you want a good pair of binos without killing the budget. $500-700 will get you a very usable pair of binocs.

Just a few thoughts.

Jeremy

The hunt will be in mid October in north Idaho so it's very wet. It isn't a horseback hunt it's on quads. The guide also packs out the game. I have Swarovski 10x42 binoculars. I'm looking to get a new rangefinder, I have been looking at the leupold rx-1600i TBR/wind rangefinder, but I was also looking at a ballistic rangefinder like sig 2400 or gunwerks

Boots are probably top of my shortlist. There is a pod cast on the gritty bowmen where they discuss hunting northern idaho in SEP. A lot of good info in that episode , think tropical jungle and beeing wet all day from under brush.

The most important thing you will need to bring for that hunt is rain gear, gaiters and a back up set. You will most likely be in rain gear all day long. If its not raining, it will still be wet out. I wouldn't worry to much about a range finder, I have yet to shoot an elk out past 100 yds up here.

Fighting rain all the time doesn't sound like fun, makes camping a pita. I rarely encounter precip in So CO, another reason to love it.

Havalon knives for me worked well. Leica rangefinder. Depending on your boots bring gaiters. We had a foot of snow in montana when we went in the end of September. A couple mornings it was in the single digits so when I go back ill bring a kelvin jacket from Sitka and the pants. "no preference to the brand that's just what I have and like". As for a base layer I used merino wool from firstlite. I don't have much knowledge on different brands of merino wool but I do know that the chama from first light was awesome.

Back