Elk hunting recommendations for a once in a lifetime hunt

OP
G
I appreciate the reply's. I have called about 15-20 outfitters and over the last few days. It looks like I have narrowed it down to New Mexico, Montana, and Colorado. I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on Compass West Outfitters in New Mexico, Montana Hunting Company in Montana, also any recommendations for Colorado. It looks like we will be trying to book for 2024 rifle season. I really appreciate all of help so far. There are truly some great people and information on this forum.

OP
G
@alecvg It looks like I do not have the ability to pm you with the number of post I have on the forum. I would like to speak to you about Montana Hunting Company if that is possible.

OP
G
Neither of us have any WY points. I believe that I have found a hunt in Montana that fits the bill for us going to be in 2024. I plan on putting a deposit down on that hunt this week. I am also going to put us in for the New Mexico draw next year and see if we get lucky. New Mexico is a lot shorter drive than Montana for us.

johnsd16

WKR
Neither of us have any WY points. I believe that I have found a hunt in Montana that fits the bill for us going to be in 2024. I plan on putting a deposit down on that hunt this week. I am also going to put us in for the New Mexico draw next year and see if we get lucky. New Mexico is a lot shorter drive than Montana for us.
Got it. The drive could be part of the experience though. Some pretty country all through WY, MT, ID, CO, etc and sightseeing on the way could be fun.

The WY thing would take 2ish points for an essentially guaranteed 290-330" bull on a truck based ranch hunt. MT hunt co is likely to match your needs well.

wytx

WKR
Not Cody Carr is it?

Look up Flat Top Adventures in Colorado. He is on Bowsite and has pack in and ranch hunting I believe.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at a hunt in the Thorofare of Wyoming. I was on 2 rifle and 2 archery hunts with Constant Quest. It's an adventure of a lifetime. 20 mile horseback ride in to camp, which is wall tents. Hunting from horses and mules every day. No generators, chain saws, nothing with a wheel or engine allowed in the wilderness area. Grizzly bears up the wazoo, but that ads to the excitement. Wolves too. And the potential to kill a giant bull with a rifle during the peak of the rut. I've hunted in MT, NM and CO and the Thorofare is unmatched in my opinion. There's about 7 or 8 camps in the Thorofare too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
G
Thanks for the replies, we do not have the points to hunt Wyoming. I just booked a hunt with Montana Hunting Company for the end of October 2024. I Really appreciate all the help you all have given me. I will make a post after the hunt is completed letting everyone know how it went.

DanimalW

WKR
You
You should buy a preference point after July 1st this year, for at least one if not both of you. Then you can both buy 2 PP’s when you apply next spring. That way you’ll be guaranteed to draw a general tag next year with more than 2 points. Just a thought if you want a guarantee to draw tags next year in MT.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
In Colorado, Call Mike Lawson- Trophy Class outfitters

Whitaker Brothers outfitters

Clay Hill- Hill outfitters and guides.

All these guys are top shelf

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
. I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on Compass West Outfitters in New Mexico,
the owner himself lied to me in the field many times. Tried to bully me out of an area. Worked for a while then started calling him out on his BS.

But that stuff works in the client’s favor generally. So you might be OK with that in your hired man.

I’d spend a few years trying to get lucky on a trophy tag. Then spend money on the guide. Rather than trying to turn a MT combo tag in to a trophy tag by throwing dollars at it.

WRO

WKR
Pueblo of the acoma should be on your list as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk