2023: Alaska Gear Junkie Review

Three years ago following the hunting season I wrote up an evaluation and debrief of all the new gear I had used during that season. My field trials if you will, consisted of three sheep hunts which I felt provided a pretty good shakedown in how the gear would perform and a baseline as to the gears durability potential. Now that in the blink of an eye my sheep and fall 2023 guiding season has seemed to have come and gone, I figured I’d sit down and do the same as I have added a few new items of gear over the last couple of seasons. Like my previous review, this season consisted of three sheep hunts followed by a moose hunt just for good measure. As for the 2020 Gear recap, you can find that here:
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/alaska-sheep-season-2020-new-gear-review.187276/

(Meeting of the minds)
9PTRk4l.jpg

Frontier Gear of Alaska, Freighter Frame and Yukon Ultralight Pack Bag:
First off, I’ll start with my pack. We all know packs seem to be a hotly debated topic on this forum with many folks arguing their merits in the tradition of good ole boys arguing their Ford’s and Chevy’s. When it comes to my favorite pack, I seem to be falling into the category of, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” As each season comes and goes, I become more steadfast in my belief that the “Barney’s Pack” is the best pack in the business for hauling heavy loads. While the Barney’s pack may initially be slightly heavier than the competing offerings, it more than makes up for and outshines the competition when the loads get heavy. Let’s face it, 100+ pounds on your back is no fun no matter what pack you are using, but the strength of the external frame and the robust shoulder and waist harness system handle that weight much more “comfortably” and stable than your run of the mill hybrid or internal frame. If I have equal loads with the overall Barneys pack being 103 pounds versus a Stone Glacier/Kifaru/Exo at 100 pounds (hypothetical), the stability and load hauling capability will be much more “comfortable” in the Barneys system. That extra three pounds of pack weight isn’t going to make an iota of difference in perceived pain. Also, I believe the reduction in strain on your body with the more stable platform will allow a hunter to conserve some of the energy that would be burned by a hunter using their various small and large muscles to keep an inferior pack stable. Anyway, I digress. I won’t go too in depth as to the pro’s and con’s that I find between some of the various packs out there, you can find some of that in my previous review, but I will talk a bit about Barney’s latest offering in the pack bag department, their new ‘Yukon Ultralight’ pack bag.

In the past I’ve often used their “Hunter Bag”. This is a 3/4 quarter length pack bag which saved a little weight over their full length offerings, the “Yukon” and “Pinnacle”. When using this bag, I would strap my sleeping back underneath the bag to the frame with the rest of the gear going inside the main pack body. I’ve also used the “Yukon” bag in past seasons. This is a full length bag with an access zipper in the bottom along with a zippered interior meat shelf which helps get the weight off your lower back and higher on the torso where it should be while packing significant weight. I like the bigger bags for my later season hunts as I tend to bring a little bit heavier weight gear and I can keep the sleeping bag inside the pack while not having to tie it off the bottom. This also comes in handy while bushwacking, as many sleeping bag stuff sacks have met their ultimate demise in the alders. And, it obviously offers more room which is always nice when the hunt is successful and we are packing out a sheep. Depending on my hunters ability to help with weight, that extra room, 10,000+ cubic inches, often becomes invaluable. Anyhow, this year Kevin at Barney’s introduced his newest pack bag, the “Yukon Ultralight”. It is made not from the traditional Cordura, but rather it is cut from Challenge ULTRA sailcloth. This material is lighter than the Cordura and also almost double the strength and abrasion resistance. Not only that, it is a waterproof material! This was a game changer and convinced me I had to give this bag a try. Overall, you get about a half pound in weight savings from the traditional “Yukon” bag, but the fact that the material is waterproof and I wouldn’t have to pack around a pack cover (which saves another half pound or so), I was sold.

Of course, with any new piece of gear, there is always reservations and concerns and this pack was no different. With the nature of the material, my first concern was would it be noisy? Second, how would it hold up? I am admittedly hard on gear and this pack would either sink or swim with the abuse it was going to take. My packs are always being thrown down on rocks, dirt, dragged across tundra, slept on while siwashing, etc, etc, so I wasn’t quite sure how this bag would hold up compared to the older, proven material.

So, after three sheep and a moose hunt, how’d it do? Well, it exceeded my expectations and performed better than I could have imagined. My aforementioned concerns turned out to be of no concern at all. A few scuffs here and there in the material, but with no cuts or holes after the rock dragging abuse I put it through, that was quite impressive. As for being noisy, it wasn’t. The material seems to “break in” and didn’t produce the “ruffling” noise I had predicted.

The biggest benefit though is its ability to keep the water out. It was a wet sheep season and leaving the pack cover at home was a bit of a risk. The older Cordura packs would tend to soak up the water adding even more weight to the pack. Not so with the Ultralight. It did a fine job keeping the water out, especially while hiking in a heavy rain. I was able to leave the pack outside my tent while it rained all night and not have to worry about whatever was inside getting wet. It was also nice being able to have certain items stored in the exterior pockets and not worry about them getting saturated. This came in handy with hats, gloves, and other items that I wanted to have quick access to while not having to dig into the main pack body. With all that said, one thing to keep in mind is the zippers, which aren’t waterproof. I didn’t have any issues with this, but I was mindful to make sure the cuffs that covered the zippers were mostly in place at all times, especially when I left the pack outside overnight.

jz2GXJ8.jpg

WYQyAW8.jpg

OP
adventure907
Swarovski STM 65
In my never ending quest to shave weight, I’ve wanted to pick up a 65 Swaro for a number of years now. In 2020, I had gotten my hands on a 65 STX which was phenomenal glass. The problem, it was essentially the same weight as my tried and true 80 STM. Therefore, after the 2020 season my STX became a safe queen. She’s just too darn pretty to let the mountains beat up on her. So, for a number of years I’ve been looking for an STM 65. Well, thanks to fellow Rokslider SJT, I was able to pick up an STM this summer. Many thanks to him for a smooth and trouble free transaction. So, this season I was rolling with a new spotter and a new tripod to go with it. We’ll get to the tripod next, but having the STM65 versus my 80 was a very easy transition. I didn’t lose anything optical quality and the weight and size savings was of great benefit. Low light conditions are generally not an issue during sheep season, so the smaller objective was just fine for my early and late glassing needs. I don’t need to get too in depth talking about spotters, thats been done plenty on this forum, but I am sold on the smaller spotter for sheep hunting.

Aziak Equipment Backcountry Lite Tripod and Backcountry Lite Ball Head
This was arguably my biggest change of gear and unknown going into the season. I’ve long been a faithful user of the Outdoorsman’s tripods, so going to something with a completely different head and twist locks versus snap locks, well, it was going to take some getting used too. Initial observations, the fit and finish was nice, the light weight was obviously appealing and it seemed to be well built. I’ve never been a fan of twist locks, but the Aziak system functioned flawlessly and I didn’t find it to be much of an adjustment to get used too. The ball head was quite strong and seemed to be of good quality as well. One aspect I didn’t care for was difficulty in acquiring targets with having to keep one hand on the scope, one hand on the ball head, and one hand on the locking mechanism. Not having that third hand became a bit of an issue. I am used to the Outdoorsman’s pistol grip, so the Aziak ballhead was quite a challenge for me in practical field use. I am sure with more practice, I would have refined my movements, but it was aggravating at times not being able to acquire and set the scope on whatever object I was trying to look at.

Another issue I had came at just precisely the wrong time. My hunter and and I were positioning ourselves for a shot on a ram. If circumstances dictate, I always try to film the shot with my Ollin scope adapter. So, per my usually process I got set up on the ram with the spotter and camera and we settled in for the wait. I prefer to shoot a standing sheep, so as we know, this can sometimes take a while. While checking my hunters rest, I became a little concerned that his bullet flight might not clear the rock a few yards in front of us. Just out of an abundance of caution, we decided to shimmy forward 5 or 6 yards to the end of the outcropping and get set up again. Well, wouldn’t you know it but as we were doing the sheep shimmy shuffle, thats the moment that darn ram decided to stand up. This kind of rushed us a bit to get back into shooting position. He was feeding on a grass ledge and I knew he wouldn’t move far, but we didn’t want to miss the opportunity while we had it. As my hunter prepared his rifle and rest, I went to get the spotter and camera set back on the ram. Unfortunately, as I did this, it became apparent that the ball head had spun itself loose and getting the camera to settle on the ram was near impossible, the scope kept swinging back and forth. I hastily attempted to tighten it to no avail. Well, so much for getting the shot on film. T took the shot and that was that, but I was a little disheartened that I wasn’t able to film his sheep kill.

After the hunt I was able to take a closer look at the spotter. Little did I know, there was a set screw underneath the ball head base that needed to be tightened. It was not an obvious screw and one would have to know where to look to find it. Granted, I could have avoided my issue all together if I had just tightened the damn screw, thats on me. But, I do wish Aziak would have put a note or something with the tripod/ballhead that pointed out that there was a set screw that needed to be tight. Live and learn.

For my last hunt, I opted to go back to the Outdoorsman’s and the system I was comfortable with. The weight penalty was worth my familiarity with the tripod. I will likely stick with the Outdoorsmans for the time being. The verdict is still out on the Aziak and I might give it another shot on Kodiak this fall, but we shall see. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do think the Aziak is a nice tripod at a very attractive price point, but for me, the ballhead and ease of use, or lack thereof, that was it’s biggest drawback.

FAR3Yd9.jpg

Gq2zjev.jpg

n94RmwY.jpg

Last edited:
OP
adventure907
Koflach Degre Boots
This season I had a new pair or dancing shoes, well, more like ruby red slippers. I had picked up a pair of used Koflachs from the Hoarding Marmot second hand store about a year or so ago. Although these were used, it was apparent that they had only been worn once or twice. They were essentially brand new. The boots, as expected, did great and were more comfortable than my last pair of Koflachs. Now, comfort is relative when you’re talking about plastic double boots, but I had zero issues with my feet and Leukotape was only required just a tad on my first hunt.

Leukotape
Speaking of Leukotape, this is a miracle product when it comes to dealing with blisters. At the first sign of a hot spot I taped up my feet and they were good to go for the rest of the hunt. In my prior review in 2020, I had mentioned the leukotape inducing some sort of allergic reaction after I took the tape off. Well, I think I just needed to scrub my smelly old feet a little more post hunt. After removing the leukotape from the first hunt of the year, I made sure to scrub, and scrub, and scrub some more as to get all of the adhesive off my feet. Alas, no allergic reaction which I was fully expecting. So, if you’re like me and have had an allergic reaction in the past, just make sure you scub those dogs off thoroughly after your hunt and you may be good to go.

Hilleberg Tarp 5
Carrying a tarp is a relatively new addition to my sheep pack and I think it’s found a permanent place. The weight penalty is pretty negligible, but twice over the last two seasons, it’s been invaluable. My first experience with it came last sheep season during a nights siwash. Me and my hunter had left camp to chase a ram we were after with the likelihood being that we would have to spend the night on the mountain to get a shot at him. Knowing that going in, I made sure we both brought our sleeping bags as to save a little misery from the cold. Anyway, long story short, C had a down bag while I was using synthetic. Knowing that his bag wouldn’t fare well if it rained, I gave him the Hilleberg tarp to wrap himself up in. Setting the tarp up with trekking poles was a non starter due to our siwash spot, C would have to settle for wrapping himself up in it like a bears midnight burrito . So, around 1 am when the rain started, that Hilleberg Tarp became pretty damn important to keeping his Stone Glacier bag dry. Meanwhile, there I was in my Kifaru laying out in the open with the tears of the sheep gods raining down on me. Oh joy. But, thats why I prefer synthetic bags for sheep hunts. Although thoroughly saturated, the slick bag kept me warm. We woke up, went up and killed the ram and all was well in sheepville. We even used the Hilleberg again to cover up the meat bags while we stashed them for a day on a glacier. I figured after this experience, I better just keep bringing the tarp along as you never know when it will come in handy.

So, then comes season 2023 and once again the tarp came in very useful. The band of rams we were on had a few nice sheep but nothing that got me too excited. We had more country to look at and I wanted to make sure we saw every square inch and had seen every ram in the area before be decided who our target was. With the position of the band and our camp being as close as I wanted to get, I knew our best chance to cover more ground would be to go light and siwash. I told T, we better bring the fart sacks and a couple days worth of food. For the sake of brevity, we spent that first day waiting out the fog on a ridge close to the sheep. By the time the weather lifted, we didn’t have much daylight left to make a move and cover more ground, nor was retreating to camp practical. Siwash it was. We scrambled around looking for a suitable spot, yet suitable was scarce. Finally we found something we thought would work and began to do a little excavating (one benefit of carrying an ice axe versus a trekking pole, the ability to excavate the tundra and build yourself a nice level camp site) and tarp building. Using T’s trekking poles we were able to get the tarp up, taught, and suitable to keep us both out of the rain for the night. Assuredly, it did rain but the tarp kept us both dry. With the addition of a rock wall to break the wind, hell, the air under the tarp was even noticeably warmer than the surrounding “outside” air. It worked pretty slick and once again I was sold on the benefits of having a tarp when you get in a pinch. The only thing I might do different is upgrade to the Tarp 10 next season, that will surely be palatial.

h49R2f8.jpg

rE930tX.jpg

Last edited:
OP
adventure907
Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0 Degree
When the sheep hunting was done and moose hunting was on deck, I decided it might be a good idea to bring a bit of a warmer bag. While a firm believer in synthetic on the sheep hunts, I figured down would suffice for the more traditional base camp style moose hunt. Little did I know, we’d end up spiking out on the moose hunt and I slept under a tarp the night we killed the moose, but I was glad to have that much much warmer down bag. While I didn’t get to thoroughly put it to the test as I only spent 2 nights in it, the Chilkoot lived up to its favorable reputation that it has gained. It was roomy enough, which is a feature that is important to me in a sleeping bag as I tend to toss and turn, and it was certainly warm enough to keep me cozy when the temps dipped a bit on the chilly side. I look forward to giving this bag a more thorough testing on Kodiak this November.

Public Service Announcement
If you pack it in, please, don’t be a slob, pack your damn garbage out. There is nothing more disheartening than coming across a stash of mountain house garbage that has been spread all over the mountains by animals. It weights nothing, you’ve already consumed the food, pack the garbage out. I’ll never understand the mentality of those that trash these beautiful and wild places that we supposedly love so much. Every year I come across mountain house garbage that sheep hunters have left behind. In the least, burn it. It leaves a tiny amount of tin foil that weights next to nothing which is easily packed out. Pack it out, please. Off my soap box now.

Zva3kLJ.jpg

Anyway, for the most part, that is all of the “new” or changed gear I used this season. If I can think of anything else I’ll add it on a subsequent post. And for those who are curious of such things, here’s a brief list of the main gear I tend to use over the course of the season.

Pack: Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter frame with Yukon Ultralight bag
Tents: Hilleberg Rogen, Hilleberg Niak, Hilleberg Soulo, Hilleberg Unna, Cablelas XWT 8x8 (on the moose hunt)
Tarp: Hilleberg Tarp 5
Sleeping Bag: Kifaru Slick Bag 20 Degree, Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0 Degree
Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V Insulated Ultralite
Firearm: Smith and Wesson M&P340 .357 Magnum, Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P Hard Cast Bullets
Trekking Pole: 100+ Year old Austrian Ice Axe
Boots: Koflach Degre, ruby red slippers
Heavy Jacket: Frontier Gear Brooks Range Jacket
Light Jacket: Arctyrx Atom Hoody
Pants: Frontier Gear PA18, Fjallraven Keb Trouser
Puffy Pants: Mountain Hardware Compressor Pants
Rain Jacket: Simms ProDry Fishing Jacket
Rain Pants: Arctyrx Beta Pant
Gaiters: Outdoor Research Crocodiles
Spotting Scope: Swarovski STM65
Tripod: Aziak Backcountry Lite, Outdoorsman’s Medium
Binoculars: Zeiss Victory 10x25 Pocket Binoculars
Stove: Jetboil, MSR Windburner

(Hilleberg Soulo and Unna)
ve3GM33.jpg

(A ledgy little spot for a siwash)
uzPb9F8.jpg

I know these gear threads tend to be redundant and my apologies for adding to it, but I know there are new sheep hunters coming to Alaska every year who are anxious and questioning of their gear and equipment, and if this helps just one of those hunters, it’s worth it to me. We are a fraternity of hunters that love these high and wild places, I’d be remiss not to help in any way I can with those hard lessons I’ve learned, even in this small way. I hope a few of you guys find this information helpful and happy hunting!

Josh

Last edited:

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
These reviews are awesome. Always nice to see what the paid pros are using, and what works/doesn't work.

When the sheep hunting was done and moose hunting was on deck, I decided it might be a good idea to bring a bit of a warmer bag. While a firm believer in synthetic on the sheep hunts, I figured down would suffice for the more traditional base camp style moose hunt. Little did I know, we’d end up spiking out on the moose hunt and I slept under a tarp the night we killed the moose, but I was glad to have that much much warmer down bag. While I didn’t get to thoroughly put it to the test as I only spent 2 nights in it, the Chilkoot lived up to its favorable reputation that it has gained. It was roomy enough, which is a feature that is important to me in a sleeping bag as I tend to toss and turn, and it was certainly warm enough to keep me cozy when the temps dipped a bit on the chilly side. I look forward to giving this bag a more thorough testing on Kodiak this November.

If you pack it in, please, don’t be a slob, pack your damn garbage out. There is nothing more disheartening than coming across a stash of mountain house garbage that has been spread all over the mountains by animals. It weights nothing, you’ve already consumed the food, pack the garbage out. I’ll never understand the mentality of those that trash these beautiful and wild places that we supposedly love so much. Every year I come across mountain house garbage that sheep hunters have left behind. In the least, burn it. It leaves a tiny amount of tin foil that weights next to nothing which is easily packed out. Pack it out, please. Off my soap box now.

Zva3kLJ.jpg

Anyway, for the most part, that is all of the “new” or changed gear I used this season. If I can think of anything else I’ll add it on a subsequent post. And for those who are curious of such things, here’s a brief list of the main gear I tend to use over the course of the season.

Tents: Hilleberg Rogen, Hilleberg Niak, Hilleberg Soulo, Hilleberg Unna, Cablelas XWT 8x8 (on the moose hunt)
Firearm: Smith and Wesson M&P340 .357 Magnum, Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P Hard Cast Bullets
Boots: Koflach Degree, ruby red slippers

ve3GM33.jpg

uzPb9F8.jpg

I know these gear threads tend to be redundant and my apologies for adding to it, but I know there are new sheep hunters coming to Alaska every year who are anxious and questioning of their gear and equipment, and if this helps just one of those hunters, it’s worth it to me. We are a fraternity of hunters that love these high and wild places, I’d be remiss not to help in any way I can with those hard lessons I’ve learned, even in this small way. I hope a few of you guys find this information helpful and happy hunting!

Josh

daddie63

WKR
Thank you for that Josh. I know I never get tired of these gear threads. All good info

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Some really good insights on gear … which we’re all looking for more of.

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
Question: do you bring a pad for a siwash? Or do you have half a z pad anyway and use that combined with the pack or something?

OP
adventure907
Question: do you bring a pad for a siwash? Or do you have half a z pad anyway and use that combined with the pack or something?
Personally, I don't bring a pad when I siwash. Although my first hunter did this year on our two night siwash and I am sure he was probably much more comfortable than me, I figure at some point you have to draw the line at how many comfort items you bring. I've done true siwash's before without my sleeping bag, but I figure in my old age, its much more palatable to my hunter and myself to at least be warm when spending the night on the mountain away from camp.

schmalzy

WKR

Zva3kLJ.jpg

Boots: Koflach Degree, ruby red slippers

ve3GM33.jpg

uzPb9F8.jpg

Josh

I always enjoy these yearly reviews. Some gear I sometimes wouldn’t necessarily try or consider that opens up some potential.

Looks like a pretty awesome season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing write up! I was reading through this and might have to look at the new Barney’s bag. Good on you for sharing this with everyone.

yhc

WKR
@adventure907, how do you like your Hilleberg Rogen? I am debating between it vs Allak 2. I like Allak but the weight concerns me.

Hilleberg just announced that they are coming out with Rogen 3 next spring so I might hold off until then. It will have a little more room with minimal weight penalty compared to Rogen 2.

OP
adventure907
@adventure907, how do you like your Hilleberg Rogen? I am debating between it vs Allak 2. I like Allak but the weight concerns me.

Hilleberg just announced that they are coming out with Rogen 3 next spring so I might hold off until then. It will have a little more room with minimal weight penalty compared to Rogen 2.
@yhc
The Rogen, I love it. On most of my trips when it's just me and a hunter, the hunter gets that Niak and I take the Rogen since it's a little heavier. I imagine the Allak is more "bombproof", but certainly a significant weight penalty. For me, and ideal sheep tent consists of a few specific features and weights under 5 lbs. One aspect I've always appreciated in the Hillebergs, the ability to take down the inner tent separately. Nothing is worse than taking down and rolling up a wet tent, so the fact I can easily detach the inner tent and keep it dry while stowed in a dry sack or garbage bag, that is an invaluable.
Speaking to the Rogen specifically, it essentially the same tent as the Niak, yet with two vestibules. Keep in mind, I am only using it for one person, so it is a palace. With both vestibules I can keep all my gear covered, including the pack. I've always used the second vestibule to work on a sheep cape while it was raining out, and it makes for a nice place to stash the horns in the unlikely (yet has happened) event that a wolverine tries to walk away with them.

Speaking of wolverines, one of the coolest things I saw this season. We had been posted up glassing, with an inconveniently placed group of ewes and lambs bedded down about 500 yards away. Suddenly, the entire group jumped up and started running up the hill. I knew it wasn't us that spooked them so I looked below the last ewe and lo and behold, there was a wolverine chasing them. There were 9 total ewes with a couple lambs mixed in there, and 7 of them decided to cut left and head for the nearest craggy outcropping. For whatever reason, one of the ewes with a lamb decided to stop and face the wolverine with the lamb nervously waiting behind her. The wolverine only 3 or 4 yards from the ewe when like a flash, the lamb bolted in the direction of the 7 other sheep. The wolverine shot out of the blocks and tried running an end around past the ewe in pursuit of the lamb. Momma ewe was having none of this and lunged at the wolverine, viciously stomping him into the dirt with a couple quick pounces of the hooves. Apparently that was enough for Mr. Wolverine to decide he'd pass on mutton dinner, as he then mopely loped his way in the other direction, further up the drainage. It was very cool, something I'd never seen in the sheep hills before. I've seen wolverines chase sheep before, but this was the first time I have seen any sort of physical contact. It was way cool.

Anyway, I digress and apologies for the tangent. The Rogen, it's a great tent, especially for early season sheep hunts.

Josh

@adventure907 Great year-in-review, as always.

I've had my eyes on that new barneys bag, but you're the first guy I've heard from that's used it. Thanks for being the test dummy.

Btw, I feel a bit jipped that I read this whole thread and there's not a single photo of a dead ram... ;)

OP
adventure907
@adventure907 Great year-in-review, as always.

I've had my eyes on that new barneys bag, but you're the first guy I've heard from that's used it. Thanks for being the test dummy.

Btw, I feel a bit jipped that I read this whole thread and there's not a single photo of a dead ram... ;)
My camera broke. 🤷🏻‍♂️

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy these posts and especially since this covered the Hilleberg tarp. It’s on the short list of tarps I’ve been looking at. Is going to the 10 just for the extra since you are using with a client too?