Elk hunting recommendations for a once in a lifetime hunt

Hey guys I am hoping you can help me out. I am wanting to set up a once in a lifetime elk hunt for one of my employees. He will be hitting his 20 year mark this year and has always wanted to go elk hunting and I plan on making it happen. I am looking for a hunt either this year or 2024. The hunt needs to be a rifle hunt and I am trying to stay around $10,000-$15,000 a person for the hunt. I would like to be in a area for us to have an opportunity at a true trophy. I do not want any type of high fence hunts. If you have outfitter recommendations please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Westhunt

FNG
There are a couple CWMU hunts in Utah that fits that description. Their not high fence, but all private property. There are also some LOA tags that you can buy that are good on public land.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
First off. Good on you for caring enough about someone who helps make your business successful. I worked for a guy many years and worked like a dog for him. I made a good wage and can't say I was "owed" anything else. But when the business sold and his payday came , I hoped there would be something extra come my way. Never did. He was a guy who considered us even on Friday. I am not bitter and still think a lot of him, but I must admit I was disappointed.

Landowner tags or Reservation tags are the easy button for a good hunt. It will cost you but you side step the draws and hunt good bulls.

OP
G
Thanks for the replies so far. I have tried to call the Mescalero res but I guess they are closed. I am going to try again tomorrow. Does the res usually have a long waiting list? Also if you know of any good outfitters that have access to land owner tags I would appreciate the help. I have done quite a bit of research over the last month or so but would rather hear first hand experiences. My business is a small business and this is a considerable amount of money for the business just want to make the best decision.

hiker270

WKR
There are some Indian reservation hunts in New Mexico that may offer what you want. The Lodge at Chama has a reputation for quality elk hunts.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ryan’s hunt was videoed for the Swarovski Optic Quest TV show’s New Mexico Elk episode. It’s gotta be out there for viewing someplace. Unreal hunt.

The Jicarilla has some bull hunts for around $10k, and while there may be some big bulls in there, by all accounts there aren't many. It's highly guide dependent, I would think.

Legend

WKR
Hey guys I am hoping you can help me out. I am wanting to set up a once in a lifetime elk hunt for one of my employees. He will be hitting his 20 year mark this year and has always wanted to go elk hunting and I plan on making it happen. I am looking for a hunt either this year or 2024. The hunt needs to be a rifle hunt and I am trying to stay around $10,000-$15,000 a person for the hunt. I would like to be in a area for us to have an opportunity at a true trophy. I do not want any type of high fence hunts. If you have outfitter recommendations please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Not sure I can help with an outfitted option.

But....if you have a job opening I might fill out an application. Good on you for recognizing your employees are what make your business successful!

DM me if you want to talk DIY ideas.

Norm555

WKR
What about New Mexico with landowner tags. You could talk to some outfitters there that should be in that price range.

OP
G
I called the reservation but it looks like that hunt will take significantly longer to be able to get a spot than the time frame I have. The gentleman I talked to on the phone let me know that if you hunted the previous year than you had the opportunity to have first dibs on tags this year and they had a 97% return rate. Looks like Mescalero is out as much as I would love to take him there. I am going to send them an email like requested but am not holding my breath. Can anyone recommend a reputable New Mexico outfitter?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not sure what the hill ranch is selling tags for these days… but 10-15 won’t get you onto the top private for a big bull in much of the west. Not saying it couldn’t get you a good guided hunt, but big bull hunts are about 20-25k on big private land spots

Beendare

WKR
A legit once in a lifetime hunt for big bull elk is going to be more than $15k….

I was thinking landowner tag in the top NM Gila units are $18k plus, then you have to pay for the guide…another $7-8k

If you just want a good hunt on private land you can get that for $15k In MT, WY, Co or utah.

OP
G
I completely understand what you all are saying about the once in a lifetime hunt cost. I did not clearly define what I was after. I am really looking for a great quality place to take my employee so that he will have great hunting experience and have a high chance for a shot opportunity on what I would consider a really nice bull (290-330+) Thank you again for all your help.

In Colorado you can try-
Mike Lawson out of Glade park,
More expensive but BIG bulls 2V outfitters on Mt Island also out of Glade park
Also look at Raftopoulos Ranches

Hnthrdr

WKR
I completely understand what you all are saying about the once in a lifetime hunt cost. I did not clearly define what I was after. I am really looking for a great quality place to take my employee so that he will have great hunting experience and have a high chance for a shot opportunity on what I would consider a really nice bull (290-330+) Thank you again for all your help.
You can easily do that in your price range, if it were me and you wanted “elk hunting magic” you should hunt muzzleloader in Co, generally great weather, bugling bulls and close encounters. Freezing your butt off behind glass in November just doesn’t do it for me with elk… now I’ll do that for a muley buck though

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Montana Hunting Company, it would probably be too late for this season, but I am sure you could line something up for next year. Some of the ranches they guide one have waiting lists and will be over that price range, but some will be right in there. Chance at a 300" plus bull, and be into a ton of animals. Feel free to send me a pm if you want more detailed info.

wytx

WKR
Is he up for "roughing it", tent camp?
If not then a ranch hunt where you ride out each morning would be what to look for.
For a once in a lifetime experience I would lean towards tent camp in the backcountry with a decent chance at a bull.
If you and he want to have better odds at taking a bull then a ranch hunt might be better though.
Narrow down which and how far do you want to travel, drive or fly?

300" bulls are very doable all over the Rockies, and they look nice. 320" will take work and the right areas but can be done.

Wyoming is a PP draw state so probably not here unless you have PPs.