Report Violations on Public Land!

OP
Nickofthewoods
It's called a "high country tune up".
While I would have loved to tune the heck out of those things, I stand by my decision to pass on touching their stuff. If I had decided to, I wouldn't have stopped at tire deflation though. Those boys would have to hope that they knew more about motors than me because with my multi tool alone I could have unplugged, removed, and rearranged lots of stuff without technically destroying anything. Just a fantasy though, I would never do that. 😉

Didn't you know ATVs were used to cross the Bering land bridge? Sure there was a closed gate there, but it was their god given right to use that land bridge. Millions of acres of land was too vast to cover on foot. There's just no way people over 15000 years ago would have been able to cover that distance and successfully hunt wild animals without the use of ATVs or other motorized vehicles.
These modern revisionist hippie history teachers just don't want people knowing the truth!

Pro953

WKR
Sounds like the same crowd that decorates all the NF roads with beer cans and expresses “civil disobedience” by shooting at all the signs “cuz I don’t need no gubment telling me where to turn”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
Sounds like the same crowd that decorates all the NF roads with beer cans and expresses “civil disobedience” by shooting at all the signs “cuz I don’t need no gubment telling me where to turn”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heck, I can't even get people to stop that kind of behavior on the road in front of my house...

Gobbler36

WKR
Stupid rules should be broken.

Public land exists to be used by the public and that includes places too far to walk. A road exists to facilitate this and closing the road denies the public something that they have a right to.

Civil disobedience is our birthright. The guy driving around a locked gate was right. The gate should be destroyed.
You’re a joke
That whole statement is a joke

I bet you expect other to clean up your messes too

Gobbler36

WKR
Its attitudes like that that get seasonal roads shut down and reclaimed. Pretty much typical of the me first gimme gimmie attitude of someone that dosent take thr time to consider why the road is closed or what the long term repercussions are. The same social disobiance guy is the loudest when those roads get totally shut or tore up to the point they become total impassable.

Makes me wonder why they are part of a backcountry hunting forum when they obviously need a texas wheel chair to get anywhere.
Haha Texas wheel chair!
I’m stealing that!

11boo

WKR
This thread reminds me of a welder who came out to work our nat gas field from Texas. Of course he brought his ATV.

He decided to go check out some nearby lakes, and drive around the closures at the end of the road, so he could rip up in the mud on the exposed lakebeds.

Another ATVer was up there too, and videoed the whole thing, called whoever to report him and LE was waiting at his truck. Of course he gets a fat ticket and is mad as hell. He is trying to cry to me about it, claiming there were already tire tracks around the closures. I told him go to court and tell it to the judge, lol.

This thread reminds me of a welder who came out to work our nat gas field from Texas. Of course he brought his ATV.

He decided to go check out some nearby lakes, and drive around the closures at the end of the road, so he could rip up in the mud on the exposed lakebeds.

Another ATVer was up there too, and videoed the whole thing, called whoever to report him and LE was waiting at his truck. Of course he gets a fat ticket and is mad as hell. He is trying to cry to me about it, claiming there were already tire tracks around the closures. I told him go to court and tell it to the judge, lol.
Was the other ATV beyond the gate or was there a good vantage point before the gate?

jayhawk

WKR
One time I was driving down a forest road close to where I lived. A car full of people in front of me stuck guns out the windows and started shooting road signs. I took a picture of their license and sent it to the LEO that patrolled the area, and he responded with, “Yes, I saw that car earlier in the day and nothing came back on the plates. Thought I wrote them down wrong, but now I see those plates don’t even belong to that car.”

You see some crazy stuff out there sometimes.

IdahoElk

WKR
I use to report so many people and poachers I had F&G, Forest Service on speed dial, now I avoid trial heads and gated roads like the plague, I hunt to relax not police people, It's really sad there are so many idiots these days that pretend to be hunters.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know of any roads that are closed with a gate during big game hunting season. They close them the week after the hunt and usually open back up in may or June. This quack guy is just arguing and defending something he knows nothing about. The DOW usually has ranchers and sheep farmers move their livestock off the land before the hunts start too ( minus archery season) They want people in the outdoors and using the resources. If it’s closed in the “off season” then you’re not losing out on any less pressured animals or over harvesting near the trailheads. The OP wasn’t talking about a gate closed during big game seasons

def90

WKR
I don’t know the particulars of the area but that’s a nice looking road. Maybe the public road should be open so people can enjoy the area?

There are a ton of gates like that in Colorado. They are usually closed until early to mid summer because those roads are in elk calving areas.

Poser

WKR
I don’t know of any roads that are closed with a gate during big game hunting season. They close them the week after the hunt and usually open back up in may or June. This quack guy is just arguing and defending something he knows nothing about. The DOW usually has ranchers and sheep farmers move their livestock off the land before the hunts start too ( minus archery season) They want people in the outdoors and using the resources. If it’s closed in the “off season” then you’re not losing out on any less pressured animals or over harvesting near the trailheads. The OP wasn’t talking about a gate closed during big game seasons

Around SW Co, a number of gates close on 11/15 which typically coincides with 3rd rifle season. This year, they closed on Tuesday when the season opened on Saturday. I don’t really have a complaint here, but this list of gates that close on this date is extensive.

Sheep permits run through the end of sept, coinciding with all of archery season. Cattle permits run through the end of Oct and ranchers are often still rounding up stragglers into Nov. I saw some being rounded up the weekend before 3rd rifle.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Around SW Co, a number of gates close on 11/15 which typically coincides with 3rd rifle season. This year, they closed on Tuesday when the season opened on Saturday. I don’t really have a complaint here, but this list of gates that close on this date is extensive.

Sheep permits run through the end of sept, coinciding with all of archery season. Cattle permits run through the end of Oct and ranchers are often still rounding up stragglers into Nov. I saw some being rounded up the weekend before 3rd rifle.
Cool

Always nice to read the success stories. Really frustrating to spend a few hours on foot and run across vehicle or ATV tracks that clearly shouldn't be there.

cnelk

WKR

You should download the COTREX app and it will tell you what roads/trails are gated / open and dates.

There are so many that are closed during hunting season

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. Not too worried about it where I hunt in a few states. But that might change if season dates get pushed any further back

Disregarding closures on public land doesn’t just leave you vulnerable to a ticket and/or vehicular sabotage, it makes it extremely easy for an agency to justify limiting access further or implementing a full closure.

If there’s a motorized closure, chances are someone made that decision for a good reason. And if they didn’t, maybe just set a good example anyway? Walking a few extra miles can be good for you. I don’t agree with where my tax dollars go a lot of the time but I still pay them…

People that pull this stuff are costing me tax dollars, land access, tag availability, and likely limiting their own access to legally hunting this state in the future. Same for future generations. Those things likely won’t come back. Turn em in. Every time.

They are hurting hunting and they are hurting general public land access.

Earlier this year I had a guy and his wife pull up to my camp in a Humvee (no plates on their Humvee) and try to bitch me out for camping in the NF. They ask me if I read the pages under the sign on my way in; telling me it was illegal. I asked them what the hell they were talking about. They got pissed at my question and drove off. They had to come back to get out, so I set my phone up to record them on their way out. Well on their way out the yelled ar me that they were calling the Sheriff.

From what I gather, they only read a couple of the 5 pages stapled to the sign on the way in, and missed the part about camping being legal without open fires.

A deputy finally shows up; nicest guy. We discuss the encounter and he asks to see the video I recorded of them. Now, you have to understand that he can not ticket them just from me saying their Humvee did not have plates, as it is hersay. But, since he watched the video and saw it himself, he could now ticket them.

In short, baseless harassement can at times have consequencs. My point here is get as much as you can on film, as some law enforcement can and will act upon viewing video.