Renfros or papa bear

Hey guys I’m looking to hunt the west side of Alaska and narrowed it down to these two and everything seems amazing between the two so it feels like splitting hairs but I’d love to know if there are any deciding factors to think about between the two that I may be missing. I’d love any feedback

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
Both are booked out a few years so get in with who ya can…can’t go wrong with either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
A
I hear they are both fine- who has the dates available you want? I would go with whoever will accommodate that.
Papa bear does a draw with new hunters and renfros says we could go in three years. They both sound great but from what I’ve read and heard papa bear is a smaller business and people tend to feel a little more taken care of. But that’s the only difference I’ve heard about, which I can live with.

r1elkins

FNG
For what it's worth, I have zero experience with either, but I have had conversations with others who have. Hands down they recommended Papa Bear and will only book hunts with them. Not sure if they just had a bad experience with Renfros, but they didn't have anything polite to say about them. Ask for references and do your due diligence. I'm sure you'll figure out who you'd be comfortable with.

JPD350

WKR
I had a great hunt with Renfro's this year, I imagine it could of been better in certain areas but like I mentioned, I had a great hunt, way too fast but awesome none the less. There were some bad ass bulls stacked up in the hanger too!!!

OP
A
I had a great hunt with Renfro's this year, I imagine it could of been better in certain areas but like I mentioned, I had a great hunt, way too fast but awesome none the less. There were some bad ass bulls stacked up in the hanger too!!!
I talked with one of their guys Oliver and he said they had 96% success and the other people could have tagged out but passed on smaller bulls (30”-40”). From talking to people does that sound accurate? He said the average bull is high 50s to 60s. I’m not a trophy hunter but I won’t pass on a trophy either!

JPD350

WKR
I talked with one of their guys Oliver and he said they had 96% success and the other people could have tagged out but passed on smaller bulls (30”-40”). From talking to people does that sound accurate? He said the average bull is high 50s to 60s. I’m not a trophy hunter but I won’t pass on a trophy either!
I was only around there for a week but what I saw or heard of was bulls of all sizes from 40's to 70's and yes it seemed that most everyone killed, there were stories of a few guys that had a hard time finding bulls and they seemed like able bodied and competent hunters. not killing happens, I have been moose hunting in Alaska 2 times before, not with Renfro's but I was 0 for 2 before this hunt, I had incredible hunts but no kills.

I was only around there for a week but what I saw or heard of was bulls of all sizes from 40's to 70's and yes it seemed that most everyone killed, there were stories of a few guys that had a hard time finding bulls and they seemed like able bodied and competent hunters. not killing happens, I have been moose hunting in Alaska 2 times before, not with Renfro's but I was 0 for 2 before this hunt, I had incredible hunts but no kills.
Do repeat customers get any kind of preference (and if so, what) or do these guys who didn't kill have to wait 3+ yrs to go again through Renfros?

JPD350

WKR
Do repeat customers get any kind of preference (and if so, what) or do these guys who didn't kill have to wait 3+ yrs to go again through Renfros?
I have no idea, I know they would prefer anyone who does a ridge hunt to have done a marsh hunt with them first, those bulls from the ridges were bad mofo's

OP
A
I hunted with Papa Bear this year and it was great. Exceeded expectations. Multiple chances to kill moose every day. Great service. They handle all of the stuff that would be a logistical nightmare to do on your own.
This is the part of it that makes no sense to me. Everyone I talk with says they hunt they same relative area and fly out of the same lake each morning. The guy that runs renfros from what I understand also does the scouting or gets the moose numbers for the area so he knows the area well. The only thing I can figure is that renfros takes around 100 hundreds per year and papa bear says they take around around 45. Maybe just having that many more hunters just makes it tougher for everyone to fill tags. Again I haven’t heard bad things about either it just seems like papa bear is a run with a more mom and pop feel.

OP
A
I’m in that same boat. 0-2 on Alaska moose but I’m ok with that. I’ve had the adventures of a life time and love it out there!

MtGomer

WKR
This is the part of it that makes no sense to me. Everyone I talk with says they hunt they same relative area and fly out of the same lake each morning. The guy that runs renfros from what I understand also does the scouting or gets the moose numbers for the area so he knows the area well. The only thing I can figure is that renfros takes around 100 hundreds per year and papa bear says they take around around 45. Maybe just having that many more hunters just makes it tougher for everyone to fill tags. Again I haven’t heard bad things about either it just seems like papa bear is a run with a more mom and pop feel.
It is the only moose hunt I’ve ever been on, so I have nothing to compare it to, but where we were, there were moose everywhere. Like you could see 10-20 at a time, any evening.
called multiple literally into camp.

I think almost everybody at Papa Bear gets one

OP
A
It is the only moose hunt I’ve ever been on, so I have nothing to compare it to, but where we were, there were moose everywhere. Like you could see 10-20 at a time, any evening.
called multiple literally into camp.

I think almost everybody at Papa Bear gets one
Ya their guy told me they had 99% success this year. Great operation they have going. I actually tried to book with them but they said they can’t guarantee or book out in 4 years when I’m looking to go and so I’ve booked with refros. They have an amazing reputation as well for successful moose hunts from people I’ve talked with

The only thing I can figure is that renfros takes around 100 hundreds per year and papa bear says they take around around 45.
This is correct. To be fair, Wade is operating on floats and wheels while Justin is only operating on floats. Obviously gives him more opportunity for added groups. There are a lot of good hunting spots in GMU 18, to the points that even the "bad" ones are better than most anywhere else in the state. But there are limited excellent spots. Justin focuses in on 20-25 excellent spots. He expects all of his clients to shoot a moose and when they don't, it's typically b/c it was a bowhunter, an early exit, or someone passed themselves out of a moose. Also, Justin has several days during the heart of the season where he has no groups or maybe one group booked. They are factored in weather days. PB isn't so much a smaller operation. They have 3 planes hooked to heaters each night and could easily be pumping out 6-8 groups a day during the first 20 days of the season. they just choose to operate on a different scale.

It's always amazing that none of these threads bring up the #1 thing people should be looking at when booking an air transporter. That's safety and company flight records. Do your own research. Even the best pilots/companies screw up. An accident every decade can happen, anything over that is absolutely unacceptable and gets a big red X from me.

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
We hunted with Renfros this year and had a great experience. Me and my two nephews. 57 moose sightings and had call ins of more that we didn’t get a look at. Passed on a number of sub 40”. Chased 3 in the 40s but didn’t catch them. None 50+ sighted. We finally took a fork horn meat bull on our last day. Would not hesitate to go with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
All the info on my hunt is in the sticky thread above. We had a great experience with papa bear. I would not be scared of either though.

MtGomer,
I picked up a cancellation hunt with Papa Bear for next year. Would like to pick your brain on a few things. Sent you a message.