Black Bear Mechanical Broadhead Setup

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I just booked a black bear hunt for may of 25 in Saskatchewan. This will be my first bow hunt ( I’ve killed some javelina with a bow and and am hoping to kill some whitetails next season ) and I have a question about shooting mechanicals for black bear. Everything I read says black bears aren’t that hard to kill and that a larger hole equals more blood and and more blood on an animal that doesn’t leave that good of a blood trail. I’m thinking of shooting 2.0 sevrs this year for whitetail and was wondering what you guys think of using that for black bear? I’m shooting a 70lb Hoyt double XL @ a 33” draw length with 610 grain arrows going 265fps so I feel like the setup is sufficient for mechanicals. I also understand the importance of waiting for a good broadside shot and not taking chances with poor angles. I understand that everyone has either a love or hate for mechanicals and had one type of a broadhead that has failed them in the past. I’d like to keep this objective in that aspect. Just wondering what your guys opinion on this setup would be. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
You can use whatever you want with those specs. The Sevr will work just fine. However I would try the Bowmar Beast. It’s much sharper out of the package and should have better edge retention.

I like 3-blade 1.5” mechanicals (original Spitfires)as I’ve had much better blood trails than with the 1.5” 2-blade Ulmer Edge..forerunner of the Sevr. Had great luck with the Spitfires….475 gr arrows going about 272 fps from my 65# Prime Rival….taken lots of black bears and a large polar bear with the combo over the past 7 seasons.

You have enough energy to hunt anything in the world with your arrows.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never shot severs, but I’ve killed a handful of bears using Rage mechanicals and have great luck with them. Huge holes and quick kills.

Plenty. Just stay off the shoulder. It’s better to hit a bear further back than too far forward. A big mechanical will put one down quickly and hopefully leave a good blood trail if needed.

crich

WKR
I like 3-blade 1.5” mechanicals (original Spitfires)as I’ve had much better blood trails than with the 1.5” 2-blade Ulmer Edge..forerunner of the Sevr. Had great luck with the Spitfires….475 gr arrows going about 272 fps from my 65# Prime Rival….taken lots of black bears and a large polar bear with the combo over the past 7 seasons.

You have enough energy to hunt anything in the world with your arrows.
Link to polar bear photos please 😁

Evolution Outdoors Hyde. Small fixed up front. Two inch mechanical behind. Flies as good or better than any mechanical I’ve shot.

Trial153

WKR
Last year killed one with a 2.0 SevR and the other with an IW wide. They both went about the same distance. I generally prefer a mechanical for bear however for my second bear I grabbed the fixed blade from the quiver because shot was frontal.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Last year killed one with a 2.0 SevR and the other with an IW wide. They both went about the same distance. I generally prefer a mechanical for bear however for my second bear I grabbed the six blade from the quiver because shot was frontal.
I’m very interested in the 6 blade head. Please do tell.

Beendare

WKR
One of the worst murder scenes I’ve had was a black bear with a big Rocket 2 1/2” mech head.

The bear shot up a huge spruce after the shot bleeding like a stuck pig and that bear drenched the thick foliage and devils club turning the green for 15’ around 270 deg circle of that tree a solid red.

Then the bear did a back swan dive- dead before he hit the ground. Big head with enough arrow and BH tuned is a great choice.

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I shot a black bear last spring with the sevr 2.0 only went 3 or 4 yards. This year I’m trying evolution hyde.

big44a4

WKR
You got enough juice to shoot anything! If I was I. That boat I’d lighten the setup a little to tighten pin gaps for when you have to judge yardage on a shot. But for sure a mechanical for a big hole with that much energy.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. I figured I was was good but have the tendency to overthink things lol.

I’m a big fan of a three blade for bears. They have lots of fat to close a hole made with just a two blade that slices in one plane rather than multiple.
That seems to give me better blood trails.