Bergara Ridge Carbon Wilderness or Browning X-Bolt Speed SR

I'm almost ready to purchase my first rifle of my own. A little background: I've been hunting for 2 decades with rifles I inherited from family. Some great guns, all sentimental and all babied. Last year I went on my first rifle mule deer hunt and absolutely loved it. After bowhunting hard for the last 10 years, I'm excited about rifle hunting again. On my mule deer hunt I borrowed a buddies 300 win mag Thompson Center Encore. It functioned great and I took my first mule deer buck with it at 425 yards.

I've settled on 7 PRC and have several boxes of ammo already. I am wanting a lightweight, capable, bolt-action rifle that I can take out west with confidence on mule deer, elk, and maybe bear. I am planning on putting a SilencerCo Scythe Ti on this gun. Having done lots of research, the search has been narrowed down to the Bergara Ridge Carbon Wilderness and the Browning X-Bolt Speed SR. Both of these rifles are at the top of my price point and I believe they are very comparable. Whichever rifle I decide on will most likely be topped with a SWFA 3-15. I'd like to have a rifle of my own that is nice enough to pass down to future generations, learn to shoot longer range with, and hunt southern white tails and western big game with.

There are minute differences between the two rifles (Browning's barrel is 2" shorter, detachable mag vs Bergara hinged floor plate, Bergara is slightly heavier, bolt throws, etc). My worry with the Browning is that there is no accuracy guarantee. My worry with the Bergara is their recent QC/CS issues. I have held both but not for a side by side comparison. Both seemed to cycle well and were comfortable to shoulder but I am admittedly a novice in this department. Being pretty new to this arena I'm not sure how to decide between the two or if there is anything I'm overlooking with this overall build. Any and all input would be appreciated as I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Attachments

• Bergara specs.PNG
    Bergara specs.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Browning pic.PNG
    Browning pic.PNG
    129.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Browning specs.PNG
    Browning specs.PNG
    54.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Bergara pics.PNG
    Bergara pics.PNG
    462.7 KB · Views: 39

gman82001

WKR
Yep been back 2 times for extremely weak ejection and scratching the hell out of brass. It shoots great but I have to shake the brass out if I run the bolt too fast.

OP
RocketRob16
Sounds like I'll be going with the Browning. Due to weight and barrel length, it fits my wants better than the Bergara anyway.

I'd go browning.

Accuracy guarantees are a marketing gimmick. A rifle could shoot like shit most of the time but in many cases you could still scratch out a statistically insignificant 3 shot moa group with something. Shoot 10 groups, one lucky one is sub moa and bam "it meets our accuracy guarantee".

OP
RocketRob16
I'd go browning.

Accuracy guarantees are a marketing gimmick. A rifle could shoot like shit most of the time but in many cases you could still scratch out a statistically insignificant 3 shot moa group with something. Shoot 10 groups, one lucky one is sub moa and bam "it meets our accuracy guarantee".
That's very true, and although I hate to admit it, the accuracy guarantees make the average consumer (me) feel like they have a bit of added insurance if you pick up a lemon off the shelf.

splinter

FNG
i have the browning hells canyon sr in .308 with loupe 3x9 ,suppressed, that soots .75 groups at 100 with plain ol Norma whitetail ammo. Rifle is impressive and will stack shots on a regular basis , plus it is great to pack around with a 6 inch suppressor.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I have a browning SR in 6.8W that is very accurate with Browning 175 tgk load. Run it with a trash panda. Very happy with rifle. Think would be great in 7prc as well

Lou

I have an X-Bolt Speed in 300 WSM and a Wilderness Ridge in 6.5 CM. I like them both a lot and both shoot and handle great. I know this doesn't help but barring some strange QC issues I think you'll be happy with either.

josh0513

FNG
I have an older X-Bolt that shoots a good shooter. For those that have a newer one, do they still do some kind of rubberized coating on the stocks?

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market and just checked one out at the store. Yes, they still have that rubberized coating.

josh0513

FNG
I’m in the market and just checked one out at the store. Yes, they still have that rubberized coating.
I just stripped that crap off mine and I'm painting it now. What a pain. I'm sure after the class action suit they lost that they improved it but mine was camp and turned pinkish. My buddy has one that feels like someone ran a glue stick all over it.

I have the browning that you are looking at, the Browning X-bolt SR in 7prc. It likes Federal 175gr eldx. Im also working on a hand load and it seems to like 65gr of H1000, cci 450 primer, and 175 eldx. It shoots very well. Ive shot 5 shot 5/8" groups with it at 100 yards and 200 yard 3 shot groups under an inch. Ive shot it out to 1080 yards and hit basically where I was aiming on a boulder.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Browning hands down.

I have 3 Bergaras. 1 is about 3 yrs old and shoots good (had to be refinished under warranty tho). The other two bought this year are garbage. Terribly innacurate, 2+ moa @ 100 yds.

My friend just bought a X bolt, it's more accurate than my one good rifle. Fit and finish isn't even comparable.

KenLee

WKR
I just stripped that crap off mine and I'm painting it now. What a pain. I'm sure after the class action suit they lost that they improved it but mine was camp and turned pinkish. My buddy has one that feels like someone ran a glue stick all over it.
They fix those for no charge and pay shipping.