Reminder on Forum Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all
concerning the drama of the recent thread on the member who’s archery elk hunt was negatively affected by another archer violating Idaho’s Non-Motorized Unit rule….

First, the OP sharing what happened started off OK, and wasn’t out of character of other threads we‘ve allowed in the past. However, it was the comments from other members (who I might remind everyone were NOT there when the incident happened) that turned into slander and downright hate. That’s why we took it down.

Our forum is founded on this statement that has been in our rules since Ryan and Aron pushed the go button:

”The Rokslide forums are all about sharing information and communicating with others in a positive, upbeat atmosphere….”

(Rules and Etiquette are linked here)

Every rule we have is designed to support that statement above.

We’ve tried to allow similar threads to stay up that discuss issues about hunters dealing with law issues; no one can say we haven’t!

But, with this last forum blow up, Ryan, me, and key moderators with years of experience on the site met the last two days (hence the silence).

We decided that we are moving away from allowing those threads on Rokslide. They drag the site down and prevent us from maintaining the upbeat positive atmosphere that we built this site on, and that most members want.

So moving forward, any threads that bring up these kind of issues will be deleted. Please remember that moderation is an art and is not black & white, and we’ll strive to error on open discussions, but there will be a limit.

Those wishing to voice their opinions on these issues that pop up with both unknown and well known hunters, can go to the named person’s social media, their own social media, or heck even think about giving the guy a call like the old day, but it won’t be allowed here.

Although Section 230 protects us from liability from these threads, we’re not going to hide behind that because we simply don’t want the negative that these type of threads bring to the site.

We realize this enforcement of rules could lose us some members and drop our traffic, but that is the price we’re willing to pay. We don’t want to be part of the cancel culture.

And we really do hope and pray the next elk hunt for our affected OP will more than make up for the loss of opportunity on his last elk hunt. We truly do.

Thanks!

Rokstaff & Rokslide Moderators

@Ryan Avery @Tanya Avery @Justin Crossley @Travis Bertrand @Jared Bloomgren @Jordan Budd @Josh Boyd @Matt Cashell @sabotloader @Ross @Tony Trietch @les welch @Brock A @William Hanson (live2hunt) @RosinBag @realunlucky @GlendonMullins @Howard Mee @Jim Carr @Zach Herold @Jskaanland @mtnwrunner @SLDMTN @fngTony @philos

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
The anonymity of the Internet is trippy sometimes, people rarely would make the such harsh accusations or take the tone they do face-to-face, and as a result sometimes things can get nasty

With that said said, I would lean more total free speech but this isn’t my place, so do what y’all have to do to keep the peace.

Edit. I’m sure pleased I stumbled across this place, it’s a wealth of knowledge. Thank for keeping it up and running

OC

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna piss some people off by taking down threads. Would also piss some people off leaving the threads up. No win situation, but I appreciate you all being transparent about it.

For me personally, I'll take the positivity and won't miss the threads in question. Carry on!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t like it when YouTube censors things, I don’t like it when Facebook and instagram censor things and I don’t like that rokslide is now doing it. If there are posts that are inappropriate start cracking down on them. If there are members that continue to post inappropriate things then crack down on them. Censorship is a slippery slope, when it’s not an accusation but an actual fact that the guilty party admit to, then I don’t see how we can’t have a conversation about it. But I don’t own Facebook, instagram, or rokslide!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t like it when YouTube censors things, I don’t like it when Facebook and instagram censor things and I don’t like that rokslide is now doing it. If there are posts that are inappropriate start cracking down on them. If there are members that continue to post inappropriate things then crack down on them. Censorship is a slippery slope, when it’s not an accusation but an actual fact that the guilty party admit to, then I don’t see how we can’t have a conversation about it. But I don’t own Facebook, instagram, or rokslide!
We’ve tried to leave them open, but they’re just like political threads and burn the site down. We’re done. I hope you’ll stick around.

So hunting celebs and influencers can keep on keeping on with their shady practices. When they are called out on their social media accounts, they just block us. Like this most recent incident. Hard to get the word out when they can just "cancel" those who speak up. But whatever, I'm not the least bit surprised. I've saw other forums do the same when people call out the shenanigans of those who profit greatly off the industry.

I think its a good choice. There is another site that I used to post on pretty frequently. It has turned into a combative, argumentative disaster. The same 5 guys bicker back and forth constantly. There is one fella that isn't around here anymore that is usually one of those 5 guys!

woods89

WKR
Yeah, @Ryan Avery has some explaining to do about his new rifle, for sure. Until I'm informed otherwise maybe I'll just assume it's a pink 6 GT with a Quigley Ford optic.......

I guess we'll have to see how this new direction works. I don't necessarily like making it easier for industry folks to sweep stuff under the covers. On the other hand, I have some sympathy for the tough decisions moderation requires. Bottom line is it's not my forum, so I will do my best to respect the rules here.

Status
Not open for further replies.