Relocation and property/building advice

WKR

WKR
Well I finally made my dreams come true and bought 40 acres of land and got a construction loan to build a home.

I'm leaving California behind and I am extremely excited about that. My lady and I will be NV residents here pretty soon as I just signed the deal for the land and the house will be starting production soon.

I already have work lined up as the company I work for has an office out of reno. And it seems like my industry is booming up there right now. (I'm a Carpenter foreman in the union)

Just wondering if anyone has been through this process before and if so what should I expect? And any tips on what I should do to the property first?

I'm having a 1700 sq ft manufactured home put on the property with a well and septic as well as pulling power lines. Unfortunately the loan wouldn't appraise with solar which really sucks because its going to cost me a pretty penny to pull power lines all the way to the build site.

First things I plan on doing is to build a horse shelter, build a shop (or atleast pour a footing and slab for a prefab shop) and start fencing the place. Which is going to be a big job as 40 acres is surprisingly huge.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I don't know anything about that, but I'd like to learn more as this unfolds. Surely someone has some insight around here.

Did you cash in all your CA points or in the process of that as the draw is tomorrow? :)

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Congrats! I don't know anything about that, but I'd like to learn more as this unfolds. Surely someone has some insight around here.

Did you cash in all your CA points or in the process of that as the draw is tomorrow? :)
Haha well we shall see but I doubt it, I put in for one of the hardest units to draw hoping for a random tag. Plan is to get a lifetime license and still hunt my spots here if and when I dont draw in NV. I have 5 pp for all species so not really enough to draw anything great here. I've got some really great otc spots that produce every year so ill just give them one last hurrah

BadDogPSD

WKR
Welcome! Is your new place in Washoe county? Construction is booming in the greater Reno/Sparks area so I'm sure you'll have plenty to keep busy.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Welcome! Is your new place in Washoe county? Construction is booming in the greater Reno/Sparks area so I'm sure you'll have plenty to keep busy.
Thanks! No Washoe County seemed a little too much like California to me. I'm in the Dayton area.

rayporter

WKR
get a decent tractor with good hydraulics and get a post driver for fencing the place.

if the rocks are not too bad you can drive posts at an astonishing speed with the tractor.

the only catch is you may have to work after a lot of rain or after a freeze. a thaw after winter is the best time to drive them.

hunterjmj

WKR
Get your well and septic lined up. Not sure about NV but where I'm at they were a year out. Septic cost me $16k and $10k for a well. Everything costs more than what you budget. Build the shop yourself and save a bunch. Build it bigger than you think. We already had power on our place but had to upgrade the meter to accommodate a shop and another house. The power company covered the bigger transformer. That coast $1400. Thankfully the place we bought already had a really old place to live while we build a house.

Last edited:
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Get your well and septic lined up. Not sure about NV but where I'm at they were a year out. Septic cost me $16k and $10k for a well. Everything costs more than what you budget. Build the shop yourself and save a bunch. Build it bigger than you think.
I'm definitely building the shop myself, id build it all myself if they would let me but unfortunately thats not how the banks work

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
get a decent tractor with good hydraulics and get a post driver for fencing the place.

if the rocks are not too bad you can drive posts at an astonishing speed with the tractor.

the only catch is you may have to work after a lot of rain or after a freeze. a thaw after winter is the best time to drive them.
The property actually has soft ground and not too many rocks.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'm definitely building the shop myself, id build it all myself if they would let me but unfortunately thats not how the banks work
Yeah, that's too bad. We've been fortunate to save enough to build everything without a loan. It's really slow doing it all yourself but it's nice not having a payment.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Yeah, that's too bad. We've been fortunate to save enough to build everything without a loan. It's really slow doing it all yourself but it's nice not having a payment.
Thats the best way to do it, but like you said takes awhile to save 3-400k and we don't want to live here in CA any longer than we have to

One piece of advice I can offer from experience…plant all the trees you can envision wanting on the place ASAP! It’s easy to get caught up in building, working, kids, etc and 10-15 years later get the time/motivation to plant trees/food plots and think “damn I wish I had just done this when I first moved here, these trees would be grown!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One piece of advice I can offer from experience…plant all the trees you can envision wanting on the place ASAP! It’s easy to get caught up in building, working, kids, etc and 10-15 years later get the time/motivation to plant trees/food plots and think “damn I wish I had just done this when I first moved here, these trees would be grown!”

This is good advice, the best time to plant trees was 20 years ago!

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I built our horses loafing shed by hand. Also a good T post driver and some spare time can save you money instead of a tractor. When you get the chance meet your neighbors and pick their brains, see who has a similar set up to what you want. Some of your neighbors might have a tractor they might let you borrow for a case of beer and a full tank upon return. Out in the country it’s best to be good friends with your neighbors.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR

Yup trees are going in first thing, I've even thought about transplants but im not sure if they are worth the cost