RMEF Expanding Public Land Access

MattB

WKR
The March/April 2024 "Bugle" showed up today and I was reading an article where RMEF purchased a conservation easement on 1.230 acres near Arlington, WY. The article indicates that, through this process, RMEF negotiated public access for the hunting season (8/1-11/30) through the private property to 300K acres of NF land. Are there any Roksliders familiar with this area and who can provide additional color? On the face of it, this sounds like a big win for hunters.

Last edited:

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I hear about a lot of these RMEF purchases or agreements where they open access to previously landlocked public land. Randy and Corey usually mention one every couple episodes on their Elktalk podcast.
I wish they had a presence up here in Canada. The only elk foundations we really have are local ones to specific areas, and from what I can tell they are more interested in selling hats and having “raffles” than actually producing any benefits. They seem to collect money but I never hear about what they do with it…

TaperPin

WKR
The March/April 2024 "Bugle" showed up today and I was reading an article where RMEF purchased a conservation easement on 1.230 acres near Arlington, WY. The article indicates that, through this process, RMEF negotiated public access for the hunting season (8/1-11/30) through the private property to 300K acres of NF land. Are there any Roksliders familiar with this area and who can provide additional color? On the face of it, this sounds like a big win for hunters.
That’s cool - public land access is pretty limited around the borders of the Snowy Range - and that side of the state has a lot of hunters, so any additional access is a lot of bang for the buck and should get used regularly. If it’s the area I’m thinking of success rates won’t be real high, but that’s the same all over the Snowys.

Edit: After thinking about it, I bet this is essentially a horse access. That’s ok - horse people are people to. Lol

Last edited:
OP
M

MattB

WKR
That’s cool - public land access is pretty limited around the borders of the Snowy Range - and that side of the state has a lot of hunters, so any additional access is a lot of bang for the buck and should get used regularly. If it’s the area I’m thinking of success rates won’t be real high, but that’s the same all over the Snowys.

Edit: After thinking about it, I bet this is essentially a horse access. That’s ok - horse people are people to. Lol
The article indicated it is vehicle access to the Pitcher-Brokaw Road. It does not state whether it continues into the FS.

wytx

WKR
If it is the Pitcher/ Brokaw access then yes it does connect to the NF.
That access has been around quite a few years now and great to see one of our WG&F comm. stepping up to conserve that access for hunters.