Reloading room? Garage room or basement?

spdrman

WKR
In the process of building a new house and debating on where to put the reloading room. Currently I have taken over a bedroom down stairs and it’s been great but carrying all the gear through the house especially leaving in the mornings and trying to keep from waking the rest of the family has me considering walling off part of the garage in the new house and putting it in there.

Pros I see with the garage, dirty/bloody hunting packs aren’t being carried through the house, range days I’m not making 10 trips through the house and up and down the stairs getting everything loaded. In case of flood/ fire get my safe high and to the side of the house. Not waking the family on early morning hunting trips loading gear and easier to sneak new purchases in there without my wife seeing them (just kidding on the last part, I married and awesome wife)

My concern is heat and moisture though, garage will be 100% insulated. They are unsure how they could duct the heating through the floor joist so I might be stuck with electric heaters. And of course moisture, with heat and insulation would that be a concern or should I run a dehumidifier in there too?

Any of suggestions comments or concerns? There’s plenty of extra rooms in the basement, in my mind garage just seems more convenient.

Here is part of the plan, was thinking wall that back part off to give me an 12x13 room (current room is 9x11) and get rid of the window. Also for the door I plan on doing a heavier duty exterior door with a dead bolt. And ditch the window in that part.

IMG_5005.jpeg
And my current room
IMG_5006.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
I'd want my reloading stuff inside a temperature controlled area with low humidity and as dust free as possible that mean never the garage.

Store your hunting gear in the garage and put the reloading/shooting stuff elsewhere
Well the whole idea of enclosing off that back half like I mentioned was to keep dust, dirt ect out. Room will be 100% finished, insulated, sheet rocked, tape textured and painted. Be completely separate room from the garage

Builder is working with heating guy to see what it’d take to run duct from the furnace out there

WKR

WKR
I would do basement, unless you store powders and primers inside and bring it out to the garage everytime you use them

All my hunting gear except my guns live in my basement, reloading bench included. I run a dehumidifier and keep it between 40-50%. Dehumidifier tech has come a long ways in the last few years, so if you're running an old one, it may be wise to upgrade. The unit I have now has a digital readout and does a better job than the 2 old ones I was running for less $$$.

My basement has a door direct to the outside though, so that is a nice advantage for not waking up the family, dogs, etc...

MThuntr

WKR
Well the whole idea of enclosing off that back half like I mentioned was to keep dust, dirt ect out. Room will be 100% finished, insulated, sheet rocked, tape textured and painted. Be completely separate room from the garage

Builder is working with heating guy to see what it’d take to run duct from the furnace out there
If you can control the temp and humidity then that would work just fine.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Doing another run from the furnace/ac isn't no big deal.
But you may have to upsize the unit if your on the edge.
I'd prob run a mini split.
I’ve done about everything thing you can do in construction at one point in my life except heating. Sorry to sound dumb but just to be clear Something like this what you’re referring to?

IMG_5008.png

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
All my hunting gear except my guns live in my basement, reloading bench included. I run a dehumidifier and keep it between 40-50%. Dehumidifier tech has come a long ways in the last few years, so if you're running an old one, it may be wise to upgrade. The unit I have now has a digital readout and does a better job than the 2 old ones I was running for less $$$.

My basement has a door direct to the outside though, so that is a nice advantage for not waking up the family, dogs, etc...
I wish I could do a walk out basement, after the disaster down the stairs in my current house and a lot of dry wall repair my wife really doesn’t want another safe in the basement 😂

I’ve done about everything thing you can do in construction at one point in my life except heating. Sorry to sound dumb but just to be clear Something like this what you’re referring to?

View attachment 544010
Yes.

Most houses are duct with a flexible pipe that looks like dryer vent hose with insulation.

Higher end it is metal duct.

Other then that its just a tee in the line and run the duct over there.

Only problem with garage is your on a slab. So if you're ductwork is in the floor your sol.

If you have duct work above it shouldn't be an issue.

Our reloading space is in the shop but it’s climate controlled to a point. Heated in the off months and no AC in the heat of the summer. But it holds the temp fairly well since it’s insulated to the 9’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could do a walk out basement, after the disaster down the stairs in my current house and a lot of dry wall repair my wife really doesn’t want another safe in the basement 😂
I wish I had a walk out. My house is over 100 years old, so we have to ascend/descend a set of conrete steps to get down there. With the field stone walls and depth below ground, it stays from about 45-55 degrees down there all year.

EdP

WKR
If you are going to tie into your whole house HVAC I think you need both a supply and a return in the room whichever way you go. It sounds like you are thinking just a supply duct.

How about a stand-alone mini split unit for just the garage room?

If I was going to do the garage room I would make the walls block for added security for my safe.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
If you are going to tie into your whole house HVAC I think you need both a supply and a return in the room whichever way you go. It sounds like you are thinking just a supply duct.

How about a stand-alone mini split unit for just the garage room?

If I was going to do the garage room I would make the walls block for added security for my safe.

I don’t know much about hvac, that’s why I was asking questions, I didn’t even think of adding a return in there, Thank you!

I’d love a solid concrete room, dream house would have a complete concrete room with a safe door poured into it. Issue is the lot we found is owned by a contractor, so I’m stuck picking one of his floor plans, they hate making changes so to get out of it they just charge so much you decide it’s not worth it

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Yes.

Most houses are duct with a flexible pipe that looks like dryer vent hose with insulation.

Higher end it is metal duct.

Other then that its just a tee in the line and run the duct over there.

Only problem with garage is your on a slab. So if you're ductwork is in the floor your sol.

If you have duct work above it shouldn't be an issue.
Slab for the garage floor is about 2 feet below the foundation for the main level. Duct in the basement runs right to that wall. In my mind it would be too hard to duct out the floor joist right there above the concrete foundation. It’d put it coming out of the wall and about 2 feet above the ground though. Also as mentioned I didn’t think of the return and what it’d take to add that

EdP

WKR
If you go with the garage option and a separate mini split you could have it done after the house is finished and maybe do most of it yourself. Or you could have the contractor do it and add the block walls later if you wanted that security.

I am not an HVAC expert, but I’m guessing it would be easier to control temperature and humidity in the basement.